Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

It caught on!

Wheres Lloyd@whereslloyd 1h

Monday STOPS! 11:30a-1:30p Women's Suburban Health (3620 Sheridan Dr.) & F'N Center

Is there any reason we can't call our arena/center an "Auditorium"? Everything in Buffalo is about throwbacks and I think we'd have the only "auditorium" in the league.

It unfortunate in my opinion but Torts will get a substantial fine and somewhere between three and five game suspension. Hartley not a thing. What happened between periods as a image for hockey was clown like , Torts lost it and will pay. To some it endearing to have a emotional guy, at times there is a price as he does go to far. It sucks like much in hockey where the instigator incites a reaction and goes free. Will be interesting though to see how this impacts Vancouver as a team, does it play well in the dressing does it motivate to be better. I agree with others that Torts had no alternative but to respond in kind given who Calgary started. Had he started his talent guys they got rag dolled all over the ice, Torts would have been branded a fool for doing so. Torts will pay the price and its possible in the end a team that to date has under performed just might have been awakened , come together a much stronger force. Mind you with Olympic break, this changes the entire dynamic of playoff race , and playoffs. imo

Was a time this would have been entirely on Hartley , game would have featured a few punch outs, Hartley losing cred around the league for bush act of his starting lineup. Today the course of action is to turtle or pay the price. Sometimes it best to pay the price if you going to be a team, a coach , sucks as it does

(unfortunate Burnside is not allowed in meeting Torts and commissioner hearing so we can read what was truly said)

Edited by millbank

Looks like Lindy's benching his young Russian star.

Thornton and Marleau are close to three year extensions in San Jose that would allow them to finish their careers there. Around $7 mill per. There goes two big time UFAs that weren't coming here anyway.

it's truer and truer: almost all of the desirable high-end guys are getting locked up through the primes of their careers.

OILERS' OWNER KATZ WRITES OPEN LETTER TO FANS ABOUT SEASON

Edmonton Oilers owner Daryl Katz wrote an open letter to fans on Monday in which he asks for support and patience for a club that he admits is likely to miss the playoffs for an eighth straight season.

He specifically discussed the on-ice performance of his club, which sits last in the Western Conference with a 15-30-6 record for 36 points.

"We all thought this was going to be the year the Oilers turned the corner. Obviously, that hasn't happened, and it hurts. It's frustrating – for all of us," wrote Katz.

Katz discussed at length some of the player moves that the club has made, and also brought up the criticism from fans that is frequently directed toward the team's management.

"I hear a lot from fans about accountability, so let's be clear. We are all accountable. That includes me, Kevin (Lowe), Craig (MacTavish), Dallas (Eakins), every player who wears our jersey, and every member of our staff."

Katz took a moment to emphasize MacTavish's role with the Oilers.

"(But) when it comes down to it, this is Craig MacTavish's team. He is the GM. He makes the calls, and he is accountable for building a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup -- year in and year out for years to come," said the Oilers' owner.

Renaud Lavoie@LavoieRenaud20m

Expect the NHL to announce the John Tortorella suspension soon. Only details that I've got: between 3 and 10 games. #canucks

Expected to be announced within the next hour.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger1m

NHL announces 15 day suspension for Tortorella. Without pay. Equates to 6 games. Hartley fined $25K.

Why the hell did Hartley get fined $25K? Where in the rulebook does it regulate who a coach is allowed to put on the ice? This is getting ridiculous.

I don't have an issue with the fine. They aren't fining him for player selection. They are fining him because it is clear that he instructed his team to go out there and start a brawl for no legitimate reason. I'm for fighting in hockey, but you need a reason. You can't just turn it into a WWE event off the opening faceoff because your team sucks.

I don't have an issue with the fine. They aren't fining him for player selection. They are fining him because it is clear that he instructed his team to go out there and start a brawl for no legitimate reason. I'm for fighting in hockey, but you need a reason. You can't just turn it into a WWE event off the opening faceoff because your team sucks.

Unless they have absolute proof that Hartley ordered Westgarth to do this, you just can't randomly throw out fines for something a coach has no control over. What's next, are they going to start fining coaches when their players get susended for bad hits? Are the going to start fining coaches any time a player gets into any fight during the course of the game? I don't like the direction that's going. I see your point, really I do. I just don't agree with it.

Nick Cotsonika@cotsonika 17m

Campbell said NHL holds Hartley responsible for Westgarth, who "attempted to instigate a premeditated fight with an unwilling opponent."

Unless they have absolute proof that Hartley ordered Westgarth to do this, you just can't randomly throw out fines for something a coach has no control over. What's next, are they going to start fining coaches when their players get susended for bad hits? Are the going to start fining coaches any time a player gets into any fight during the course of the game? I don't like the direction that's going. I see your point, really I do. I just don't agree with it.

This isn't the court of law. Common sense is enough basis for the NHL to make a decision.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.