Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

that was no slash - he was trying to play the puck and followed through as thomas grabbed the puck. what thomas did was fairly reckless - i'd think he gets something.

Eh? It doesn't matter if you are "trying" to play the puck. He didn't play it, he missed and slashed Thomas. Just like if you high-stick you high-stick (which this does hit right near Thomas' mask on the first connection. The only exception to the high-stick is the "follow through" or shot motion (ie. when the stick comes up to take a slapshot - I think Brad May nailed Kariya in the face on something like that, no call).

Soderberg clearly slashes Thomas. He deserved everything he got. Good on Thomas for protecting himself.

that was no slash - he was trying to play the puck and followed through as thomas grabbed the puck. what thomas did was fairly reckless - i'd think he gets something.

Extremely borderline......Thomas took it to the neck in the final seconds of a 6-2 game.

No way he gets called to account for reacting to that IMO.

Eh? It doesn't matter if you are "trying" to play the puck. He didn't play it, he missed and slashed Thomas. Just like if you high-stick you high-stick (which this does hit right near Thomas' mask on the first connection. The only exception to the high-stick is the "follow through" or shot motion (ie. when the stick comes up to take a slapshot - I think Brad May nailed Kariya in the face on something like that, no call). Soderberg clearly slashes Thomas. He deserved everything he got. Good on Thomas for protecting himself.

I'm not sure that's the right understanding of the rule against slashing. Here's how it's defined:

61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.

IMO, the Bruins player did not swing his stick at Thomas (he swung it at the puck), nor did he deliver a "forceful or powerful chop" (what a weird definition) that was "not an attempt to play the puck".

Extremely borderline......Thomas took it to the neck in the final seconds of a 6-2 game. No way he gets called to account for reacting to that IMO.

This I get. But I still think Thomas gets a game, or should.

I'm not sure that's the right understanding of the rule against slashing. Here's how it's defined:

61.1 Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing.

IMO, the Bruins player did not swing his stick at Thomas (he swung it at the puck), nor did he deliver a "forceful or powerful chop" (what a weird definition) that was "not an attempt to play the puck".

This I get. But I still think Thomas gets a game, or should.

So let me recant a little bit. Tthis happened in the WJHC. The puck flipped into the air and a player swiped at the puck, missed, and whacked another player in the face. (Can't remember which game it was at this point.) I remember being surprised there was no penalty called but they did say it was because he was swinging at the puck. I thought it was still rather ignorant because it really gives cart blanche to just whack a player if the puck is in the air and it seems rather reckless.

Either way, being smacked with a stick never feels good. A penalty should be all that's given. Perhaps Thomas can claim he was simply trying to play the puck because he thought it was popping out of his glove? :)

Edited by LTS

So let me recant a little bit. Tthis happened in the WJHC. The puck flipped into the air and a player swiped at the puck, missed, and whacked another player in the face. (Can't remember which game it was at this point.) I remember being surprised there was no penalty called but they did say it was because he was swinging at the puck. I thought it was still rather ignorant because it really gives cart blanche to just whack a player if the puck is in the air and it seems rather reckless.

sounds like high-sticking to me, which, as you noted, doesn't have the intent-like qualifications that slashing does.

I was waiting for this to happen once the new ownership was finalized and they had some agreements from Arizona that they wouldn't keep "Phoenix" in the name for long.

They actually wanted to make the move before this season, but said that the way that the offseason went they didn't have the time/the means to do it.

I was waiting for this to happen once the new ownership was finalized and they had some agreements from Arizona that they wouldn't keep "Phoenix" in the name for long.

They actually wanted to make the move before this season, but said that the way that the offseason went they didn't have the time/the means to do it.

From what I understand, Coyotes in Arizona want the name changed as well ;)

Yeah, they weren't going to do something like that until they had the agreement done with the new owners, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something that Arizona required for them to do as part of the agreements they made with the owners.

Yeah, they weren't going to do something like that until they had the agreement done with the new owners, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something that Arizona required for them to do as part of the agreements they made with the owners.

It's just a team decision. They want to appeal more to the whole state.

So Pat Kane. Watch this, he never loses the puck, and never lets it touch one of the other pucks on the ice:

http://www.wimp.com/stickhandlingearth/

Now, watch it again. Watch his skates this time. He also never lets his skates touch the pucks on the ice.

The kid trained hard.

I saw that before (I think a friend who's a Blackhawks fan had posted it)... just sick, what that kid can do.

Ben Scrivens just set an NHL record for saves in a shutout with 59. Edmonton won 3-0 and is on a three game win streak. Tank nation satisfied.

Wow The Sharks attempted 100 shots.

I wonder what the Oilers would give up for a D-Man?

Edited by BRAWNDO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.