Ruff as a Sabre Player

fan2456

So, I'm taking alot of sh*t as expecteded. Who of you have seen Ruff play? It was asimple question kids! I don't care about your crap.

calling kids kids makes them pissed...Im an ungratefull teenage b@stard child so i know all about it. (how bout them credentials!) Who cares about a phd or anything. odds are 90 percent of people on here work a crappy blue collar job somewhere in buffalo anyway.

I watched him play. Like many of the foot soldiers in the league that come and go nothing real special stood out about his play. I liked him because I've always liked the guys that get their nose dirty for the team. Blue collar like many who've worn the blue and gold over the years.

I watched him play. Like many of the foot soldiers in the league that come and go nothing real special stood out about his play. I liked him because I've always liked the guys that get their nose dirty for the team. Blue collar like many who've worn the blue and gold over the years.

It also would make sense that he'd be a good coach. He wasn't the most talented guy on the team (by far) and yet had a reasonably long career, played D and forward, and ended up an NHL captain. You have to understand the game and be considered a leader to accomplish that.

I watched him as well. And agree, nothing stood out, besides the Billy Smith incident.

Yea that is how I rememember him. At least we both can base our observations on facts. This thread wasn't meant to inflate or deflate Lindy. It was meant to cull out the opinions of his play from those on the board who never saw it. I read way to much of that.

I was 10 in 1989, wich is the same year I moved to Buffalo and started watching the Sabres. I don't remember him as a player at all.

So, if I'm reading through your posts here correctly, I'm to not have an opinion of Lindy Ruff as a player, or associate it in any way with his style of coaching?

What if I watch game film on youtube, can I then form an opinion if I leave a "only saw him on youtube" sig?

Please advise....

I remember him just fine as a player. He didn't take shifts off, played hard, and was as tough as his body would let him be.

His talent wasn't top-class.

Who says the first 32 views weren't people who DON'T remember him as a player? Get some patience.

I was in my early 20's when he was traded. I remember him as an honest player who didn't have much skill and although willing, lost most of his fights. If paul gaustad could play d and forward he would be a lindy clone.

Not sure what the point of thIs op was. Seemed to suggest that if you didn't watch him play you can't judge his coaching? That would be wrong if that was the message.

Yea that is how I rememember him. At least we both can base our observations on facts. This thread wasn't meant to inflate or deflate Lindy. It was meant to cull out the opinions of his play from those on the board who never saw it. I read way to much of that.

I think the last surviving WWI vet just passed away too ... guess nobody in the U.S. will ever be able to talk historical facts about WWI. What a shame.

Lindy Ruff was a Sabre player from1979 until 1989. There are many comments on this board about his toughness and style of play and how it reflects on his coahing style.. I was an adult for all of his playing career as a Sabre. I'm curious, who among our posters were over 16 y/o when he was a Sabre player and can honestly comment on his play as a sabre?

The only question in this post could be rephrased as, "Who here was born before 1973?"

The statement that there are many comments relating his toughness and play to his coaching baffles me? Did I miss a thread somewhere? What is the contention?

I was 15 when Ruff was drafted (#32 out of the WCHL ... pretty tough league). I was excited when he was drafted. He was hyped up as a rugged and tough, with decent size (6' 2" and a little under 200 lbs.) stay at home defenseman, who could chip in some scoring. I was 25 when he was traded to the Rangers for a draft pick that ended up being Richard Smehlik (yikes), if I recall correctly.

He pretty much lived up to his billing when drafted. Played tough and did contribute on the score sheet, especially in the playoffs. He seemed to rise to those occasions. I remember him tackling "Battlin' Billy" Smith in the 1980 playoffs, I think, against the Islanders after Smith chopped him with his stick in front of the net. That gave the Sabres a boost, but the Islanders were starting their run of cups that year and we all know what happened in that series.

Ruff became captain after Perrault retired. Those were big skates to fill, so that tells you something. I believe he earned and deserved that "C". Bowman converted him to left wing, in order to get some of that toughness up front and Ruff handled it quite well I think.

I was sad when he went to the Rangers, but he was on the downswing by then. All in all he had a nice career as a player and I thought he would be a good candidate to coach one day. So, there you go.

At the risk of rehashing a touchy subject ... for what it's worth, IMO, his playing style and his coaching style (not saying he is not a good coach) are not in correlation.

I saw him play. He lived up to his name and he chipped in points but nobody could figure out if he was a winger or d-man. I never thought he had any brains as a player and nothing has changed my mind either. Sabres always treat their captains like toilet paper at the end and Ruff was no different, except he came back to coach.

I was in my early 20's when he was traded. I remember him as an honest player who didn't have much skill and although willing, lost most of his fights. If paul gaustad could play d and forward he would be a lindy clone.

Not sure what the point of thIs op was. Seemed to suggest that if you didn't watch him play you can't judge his coaching? That would be wrong if that was the message.

No, I read and hear a ton of comments that refer to his playing days equating to his coacing style. That's all. Many of those comments come from people who never saw him on the ice. This includes posters and media members. Love, him hate him or be indifferent. Don't say he' coaches a tough style because he played that way if you never saw it. He was a passable player, but it doesn't matter to his coaching. ( i.e.: Scotty Bowman)

Summary:

JUdge his coaching all you want, don't use his playing days to substantiate your opinion if you never saw him play; whether, you think he is great, sucks or somewhwere in between..

No, I read and hear a ton of comments that refer to his playing days equating to his coacing style. That's all. Many of those comments come from people who never saw him on the ice. This includes posters and media members. Love, him hate him or be indifferent. Don't say he' coaches a tough style because he played that way if you never saw it. He was a passable player, but it doesn't matter to his coaching. ( i.e.: Scotty Bowman)

Summary:

JUdge his coaching all you want, don't use his playing days to substantiate your opinion if you never saw him play; whether, you think he is great, sucks or somewhwere in between..

Where do you read and hear these comments? Not here, and not on local radio. If I'm wrong, point me right to it. His playing career was all effort, nothing exceptionally talented, and yeah, he was a captain. How that translates to coaching, as enough others have said, is a mystery. I have seldom seen here, and have never heard on local radio, any comments correlating coaching to playing, as far as Ruff is concerned.

And yeah, he went through some tough coaches, hell, he went through 7 coaches (as a Sabre), as did the whole team during that time. That was one of the problems in those days. No consistency, no team concept, and a new coach every other year. The drafting didn't help (Paul Cyr, savior of the franchise). I'm sure some of the coaches were tough; I'm sure some weren't; I'm sure the lack of consistency was the basic problem.

Okay. I have heard numerous times on our local radio from fans and broadcasters, who allude to Lindy's playing style and how it reflects on the team. I hear 20 minutes before 7:30am and 20 mins after 5pm. I also often hear the opening of the am show before I shower. Simon, who moved here 1989 has commented on more than one occasion about Lindy being a tough player. I don't tape the shows, and I'm not going to search this board. I guess you have a point.

So, to answer the question,did you ever see Ruff play in Buffalo?

Okay. I have heard numerous times on our local radio from fans and broadcasters, who allude to Lindy's playing style and how it reflects on the team. I hear 20 minutes before 7:30am and 20 mins after 5pm. I also often hear the opening of the am show before I shower. Simon, who moved here 1989 has commented on more than one occasion about Lindy being a tough player. I don't tape the shows, and I'm not going to search this board. I guess you have a point.

So, to answer the question,did you ever see Ruff play in Buffalo?

Sorry eleven, you already answered that question in the affirmative. I liked him as a player and early as a coach. He's been here too long for the good of the team IMO and he might benefit from a new setting also. Whether he was a tough and honest player has nothing to do with my opinion.

watching him back when he played has no bearing on comparing his playing career to his coaching. There is this thing called video tape i know its a fairly new invention and all but it lets you watch things that happened. As someone else said the last WW1 vet just passed does that mean noone can have a opinion on the matter?

watching him back when he played has no bearing on comparing his playing career to his coaching. There is this thing called video tape i know its a fairly new invention and all but it lets you watch things that happened. As someone else said the last WW1 vet just passed does that mean noone can have a opinion on the matter?

Yea, I think that's what I said? Printed english has been around for a while now and isn't a new invention, even in Ireland. Also, is that videotape stuff available on that new u-tube thing?

Sorry eleven, you already answered that question in the affirmative. I liked him as a player and early as a coach. He's been here too long for the good of the team IMO and he might benefit from a new setting also. Whether he was a tough and honest player has nothing to do with my opinion.

Why are you quoting your own post as if it were mine?

Yea, I think that's what I said? Printed english has been around for a while now and isn't a new invention, even in Ireland. Also, is that videotape stuff available on that new u-tube thing?

actually it's not what you have been saying. you told us young whipper snappers to not have a opinion about him if we didn't see him play.

Nice to hear from some people who remember him playing. All I've ever heard about his career was criticism of the Billy Smith incident by posters here who don't like him. Now I feel a little more familiar with him.

But that was one of his greatest things. Billy Smith was a punk.

I think (okay, I know) the OP's phrasing was "can honestly comment on his play as a sabre [sic]". So, it's not telling us we can't comment on Ruff's player days, it's saying that there is a false impression of Lindy out there, somewhere.

I can understand this. I think the false impression of Lindy is in the offices of the First Niagara Center, but that's my view of things.

I know I saw Lindy play, as I went to many games during the '80s. Thing is, I don't recall any of them.

Archived