Ruff as a Sabre Player

fan2456

I was 18 to 28 during Ruff's playing days. I saw him often. He was one of my favorites. "Lindy is and Larry doesn't". "Play fair and Ruff". Classic signs.

Lindy was a serviceable defenseman who was kept on the wing later in his career. The move to wing kept him in the lineup when the defense upgraded, largely because of his leadership skills. Those skills exceeded his hockey skills. Think Adam Mair if Adam had the ability to stare down or confront a coasting teammate. Lindy never quit. You could beat him with talent, but not with effort. Think Matt Ellis with an edge.

He lost his "C" largely because the team wasn't responding with effort. It was a message to the team more than a message to Lindy. In short, "if you guys are gonna coast, we'll show you that even the role model isn't untouchable". Miserable move.

Lindy answered the bell for himself, for his teammates, and for the team as a whole. He'd have gone over the boards to get Lucic, lost the battle, and won the war. Half of life is showing up.

I think the coach and the player are the same man. He doesn't care how talented you are. No one cared how talented he wasn't. He cares that you know the assignment, know your role, and know the mission. Nothing else matters.

He is totally egoless in the sense of self accomplishment. In the sense of steadfast belief in his ability to deliver the very specific thing the coach believes is needed to win, his ego is unbound. This is the ego of a Seal or a Ranger. He was willing to lay block as part of a crew raising a glass office tower. He could step back, admire the building as a whole, and never regret that other contractors added the glass and facade the building became notable for. There would be no meetings with owners recommending more block and less glass. There would be no interviews starting with the words "well, without my block ...". Blue collar fans loved him. So did the suits. I can imagine the skilled artisans would chafe under his unpretentious approach. I can imagine the architects would consider him visionless. Think Boyes, Roy, Stafford ...

Some of you will remember the movie "The Flamingo Kid". Think Hector Elizondo as the father. He was a plumber who lost his son to a flashy car salesman. That's how I see Lindy as head coach. "Of course I know dad's right, for him, but if I could make him understand that I can be something ... greater ... ".

if that ain't the pro-Ruff post of the year I don't know what could beat it.

The thing is, losing the team, no matter who's "right", kills the coach. Pro Lindy? Yes. Last chance? Also yes.

I would love to live in a world where we respond to the Hector Elizondos. We do not.

Archived