Ruff as a Sabre Player

fan2456

Lindy Ruff was a Sabre player from1979 until 1989. There are many comments on this board about his toughness and style of play and how it reflects on his coahing style.. I was an adult for all of his playing career as a Sabre. I'm curious, who among our posters were over 16 y/o when he was a Sabre player and can honestly comment on his play as a sabre?

I was on the cusp of high school when he started, in college when he left.

In my memory, he was tough, but not feared tough.

He would hit and fight and was rather undisciplined, at least early on.

He worked hard and was mostly an honest player.

I think he had fun playing hockey

He learned coaching under Roger Neilson (as a player and an assistant, who I think taught him how discipline and defence were crucial to winning hockey.

I remember him being able to play on the wing and on D

Me too. I just get annoyed when I read these accolades heaped upon him. I know Bowman never played in the NHL, but to raise Ruff to this elite level bothers the hell out of me. Statistics might likely say you could get to a cup final once if you coached for 15 years. If you are a statician and want to tell me I am full of sh*t, tell me. I won't be insulted at all.

Don't get me wrong. i liked his play. On our current team it is tuff, but I'd put at about the McCormick type player.

He was pretty much Montador from what I remember. Would get shuffled back and forth between F and D later on. I'd say Montador with a touch better nack for finding the net and a shorter fuse....but the same basic idea and propensity to get his ### kicked in fights

I was only a teenager when he got traded, so I do not meet your crtiteria

Views don't correlate to interest in responding.

Wow! I have little interest in what you say also. IKnowphysics is a rather arrogant screen name. PHD matters to me and I am impressed. High School or even BS is rather weak. Your crdentials, IKnowphysics?

Wow! I have little interest in what you say also. IKnowphysics is a rather arrogant screen name. PHD matters to me and I am impressed. High School or even BS is rather weak. Your crdentials, IKnowphysics?

Your screen name screams arrogance as well. Are you implying you are the 2456th sabres fan? That's hardly impressive at all. Or maybe you just think you are clever, and no one would notice the missing three in the number ascension. How condescending of you. Obtuse, even.

I was seventeen when Ruff left the Sabres. I remember him as a hard nosed, no BS player. Not the most skill in the world, but someone who showed up every night, knew his role, and was a pain to play against.

So, I'm taking alot of sh*t as expecteded. Who of you have seen Ruff play? It was asimple question kids! I don't care about your crap.

I did. I remember him as a tough guy playing with the likes of Playfair, Korab and others. Good for 10-14 goals and around 130 - 150 pims. He played RW I believe..

So, I'm taking alot of sh*t as expecteded. Who of you have seen Ruff play? It was asimple question kids! I don't care about your crap.

Yes yes, a simple question that you feel should be given more attention, regardless of whether anyone can actually address it.

Have a beer and chill out.

One of my all-time favorite signs at the Aud: Lindy Is and Larry Doesn't.

He was a decent D-man and adequate wing. Played physical but wasn't incredible at it. I always thought Larry was more physical but Lindy was the better hockey player.

Last goal he scored for the Sabres that I remember was shortly before he was traded to the Strangers, basically it was a dump in that hit something in the corner after the goalie had gone behind the net to stop it and then it flipped on it's side and rolled through a large arc right into the empty net.

His getting benched while wearing the C shaped a lot of his later decisions.

One of my all-time favorite signs at the Aud: Lindy Is and Larry Doesn't.

He was a decent D-man and adequate wing. Played physical but wasn't incredible at it. I always thought Larry was more physical but Lindy was the better hockey player.

Last goal he scored for the Sabres that I remember was shortly before he was traded to the Strangers, basically it was a dump in that hit something in the corner after the goalie had gone behind the net to stop it and then it flipped on it's side and rolled through a large arc right into the empty net.

His getting benched while wearing the C shaped a lot of his later decisions.

Yea that is how I rememember him. At least we both can base our observations on facts. This thread wasn't meant to inflate or deflate Lindy. It was meant to cull out the opinions of his play from those on the board who never saw it. I read way to much of that.

I'm a yr or so older than Lindy. I watched him play and really loved him as a player. Not because he had much talent(he had little). The fact that he had little talent made you root harder for him because he was so tough and fearless. he would slam into the other teams end like a bull in a china shop.And he would battle for pucks like a maniac. His shot was not accurate and he partly wiffed A LOT. He also wiffed on passes a lot but would scramble like crazy to make up for it. usually had some blood running from his face.

That was Lindy.

He was 19 yrs old when he made the Sabres roster...fooling some of us into thinking he would get better. But he never got better.His first couple years was the best it was gonna get.

Archived