Bulldog's Bombshell on Roy

I am Defecting

I thought that he would have some reason, other than his own homophobia about a toga party with hockey players. I thought that Roy had raped some girl behind the Buckin' Buffalo, and there was some huge coverup, and she was actually murdered when it looked like she would press charges. Apparently, though, Roy said to some guy, according to someone who told the Bulldog, that Roy said to some opponent one time "it's just a game."

"JUST A GAME!" the Bulldog now exclaims, after implying deeper matter about Roy for years, letting the innuendo flow fast and thick all over his little secret:

http://wgr550.com/Bulldog--Sabres-are-Better-Today/13620270

That rather critical description of the team applies singularly to Derek Roy. About halfway through the 2007/08 season I was told by someone I trust that Roy could be heard from time to time in scrums telling opposing players to take it easy, it's just a game.

A pro athlete asking other pro athletes to go easy on him is just about the most embarrassing thing I've ever heard.

My favorite is the ridiculously good run the Sabres put together after being dog meat for the first 35 games of the season while Roy scored a point a game. Their getting hot right after his injury could have made you wonder if they were better off without him. Being a regular Roy critic by this point, I didn't want to rush to a judgement on this, thinking maybe it was just a coincidence that the Sabres got stupid good after he left the line-up. Then I heard that one veteran player had called it, predicting that the Sabres would be better off without Roy.

This is also pretty damning. The players said a lot of nice things about him being a "great teammate" but apparently some didn't appreciate his antics and the "take it easy" approach to games.

I thought that he would have some reason, other than his own homophobia about a toga party with hockey players. I thought that Roy had raped some girl behind the Buckin' Buffalo, and there was some huge coverup, and she was actually murdered when it looked like she would press charges. Apparently, though, Roy said to some guy, according to someone who told the Bulldog, that Roy said to some opponent one time "it's just a game."

"JUST A GAME!" the Bulldog now exclaims, after implying deeper matter about Roy for years, letting the innuendo flow fast and thick all over his little secret:

http://wgr550.com/Bu...-Today/13620270

Dude WTF are you talking about? I don't want any pussbag telling opponents to take it easy, it's just a game. You think Dustin Brown ever said anything like that? Or Steve Ott? It implies that guys like Roy aren't willing to give what it takes to win a cup. Good Riddance!

To me the only relevant things in that article are the "it's just a game" comments/mentality and the vet comment that they'd be better without him. I don't honestly put much stock into the fact they made a run to make the playoffs, seeing as they did almost exactly the same thing this season when he was in the lineup. Oh, and Bulldog is clearly very offended by toga parties. I guess he forgets that these guys are millionaires in their early 20s and want to live a little. Yes, the timing of the invites was atrocious...but he seemed to actually be upset at the very idea of a toga party.

this is what passes for journalism in Buffalo. "the Bulldog." I wonder how many people with the nickname of "bulldog" there are in the US sports radio airwaves. Hundreds I'm sure. I'm disappointed that Buffalo is giving Roy the ole 'shtuppo' on the way out of town. I thought they'd be classier than what Boston routinely does with its athletes who have the audacity to leave. Just be happy we got an Ott in return and move on.

this is what passes for journalism in Buffalo. "the Bulldog." I wonder how many people with the nickname of "bulldog" there are in the US sports radio airwaves. Hundreds I'm sure. I'm disappointed that Buffalo is giving Roy the ole 'shtuppo' on the way out of town. I thought they'd be classier than what Boston routinely does with its athletes who have the audacity to leave. Just be happy we got an Ott in return and move on.

No doubt Roy was the least favorite Sabre among fans. I don't have a problem with media people giving their opinions. Sure their work is directed with the business but they are also fans and want this city to succeed.

http://wgr550.com/Bu...-Today/13620270

This is old news. The "just a game:" has been out for a while now.

I don't tke any joy in seeing Derek Roy humiliated on his way out of town like this. But he made his bed and now he can lie in it. The fact is, he could have done better while he was here, and that's not even controversial.

Enjoy playing hockey in Dallas.

This bulldog clown just can't give his agenda a rest. I'm glad I don't listen to him.

Mission accomplished Roy is gone. Very unprofessional, IMO, to be drudging up the crap. Shameful.

We should all, including bulldog, be looking to the future, not the past.

I think this thread is an example of why, when criticizing players, it's best to stick to the on-ice stuff...you know, the things which everybody can see and doesn't rely on hearsay. Roy did enough obnoxious things on the ice to want him traded without getting into the rest.

This bulldog clown just can't give his agenda a rest. I'm glad I don't listen to him.

Mission accomplished Roy is gone. Very unprofessional, IMO, to be drudging up the crap. Shameful.

We should all, including bulldog, be looking to the future, not the past.

You really think this is possible when people still bring up Briere and Drury? :devil:

I find it funny that an alleged "take it easy" approach to the physical side of the game can be used against Roy, but the coach's actual "take it easy approach" rarely gets any flak. Hell, enforcer John Scott hadn't even arrived in town before he said what everyone around the league knows: it's not hard to come into Buffalo and play the Sabres, and there's no reason to be nervous in that building.

The Sabres are historically in or near the basement under Ruff when it comes to hits, and Ruff has said things like power plays are more important in close games than retribution and running around and hitting people serves no purpose if possession of the puck isn't gained.

What do you guys really expect out of Ruff's players? Bringing in a few pests and knuckle-draggers isn't going to change a damned thing.

Scott does immediately become my favorite Sabre, and I really hope the comments burned Ruff on the way in and the way out.

I find it funny that an alleged "take it easy" approach to the physical side of the game can be used against Roy, but the coach's actual "take it easy approach" rarely gets any flak. Hell, enforcer John Scott hadn't even arrived in town before he said what everyone around the league knows: it's not hard to come into Buffalo and play the Sabres, and there's no reason to be nervous in that building.

The Sabres are historically in or near the basement under Ruff when it comes to hits, and Ruff has said things like power plays are more important in close games than retribution and running around and hitting people serves no purpose if possession of the puck isn't gained.

What do you guys really expect out of Ruff's players? Bringing in a few pests and knuckle-draggers isn't going to change a damned thing.

Scott does immediately become my favorite Sabre, and I really hope the comments burned Ruff on the way in and the way out.

Now you are really back ... good post, but I'm trying to be a good boy and bask in the draft and the trade for Ott, as they give me hope.

Now you are really back ... good post, but I'm trying to be a good boy and bask in the draft and the trade for Ott, as they give me hope.

To paraphrase a longtime poster here, "Ain't no sunshine till they're gone."

Archived