Derek Roy

Huckleberry

And comparing Roy to Richards is ridiculous. This isn't fantasy hockey. Richards was the Flyers captain, is a very tough player who plays a hard game, and was great in their playoff run to the finals a couple of years ago. Roy is a soft party boy who "puts up numbers" in the regular season, disappears in the playoffs, doesn't forecheck and is easy to play against.

In fairness, the main reason Roy doesn't put up numbers in the playoffs is he's been asked to play in a position a notch above his skills. When he was the 3rd cog in 05-06 he had 15 points in 18 games. The fact he's a #2 center who has been asked to take on the duties of a #1 really isn't his fault. That said, I agree with the rest.

Maybe some of the things said about Roy's attitude are true. I don't know. But I agree with you that Hamilton usually knows what he's talking about.

For what it's worth, I know people in Buffalo who interact with the Sabres in non-hockey settings, and the only two players they've named as being fairly rotten human beings are Tim Connolly and Derek Roy. Add that to both Chris Parker and Paul Hamilton having bad impressions of the guy from things they know, and I find it hard to believe that there's no fire where there's all this smoke. Are we really supposed to believe that everyone is wrong about the guy?

We've also seen enough on the ice. He's part of the post-Black Sunday core that can't get us anywhere. We're not going to win with the guy. Ruff makes a special point of keeping him and Vanek apart now during games. Even Darcy can't be dumb enough to re-sign him so he's gone in a year anyway. Let's speed that along. We dropped Gaustad last year and the team improved.

We got offered a 1st and middling prospect for Roy at the deadline,

At that price, I'd hang on to him even if he is a jackass. LastPommerFan's got it right.

I would have made that trade in a heartbeat. One more pick late in the first round would have given us Matteau, Samuelsson, or Dansk. Or we could have traded it for someone else.

I can't agree with that.

Sorry if this reads like a forum cliche', but I think Darcy has proved over time that he's not so interested, or sensitive to, or able to read, understands, or however you want to put it, "team chemistry" or "locker room culture". Rather, I think Darcy relies on his spreadsheet algorithms, stats, and charts to fit the pieces together, to the team's detriment.

Right. "No trade market" for Roy may mean Regier couldn't find a deal where he robs someone blind. To me, one of his big weaknesses is that he ONLY wants to make those trades. Roy for a 1st isn't a trade people would rave about. Plus he wouldn't look good trading two guys for draft picks at the same trade deadline after spending so much last summer.

It's time to move on from Derek Roy. The best time would have been at the deadline and I doubt there's a market right now, but I'm hoping the Sabres make something happen so that the new core can take over.

Why do people think he is a lock room cancer? Where did this come from?? I really think if he was that bad A) Darcy would remove him B) Lindy would not give him a letter.

Lindy is a tough SOB, i know he seems to have favourites, but i can't imagine why he would make Roy a captain if his attitude was this bad - this is not pewee hockey, Lindy is not Roy's dad i simply don't think it can be true

Ok. And quitar playin' Stafford has to be Bubbles ... Vanek = Julian.

Boy, I really have to stop with this nonsense. There are good quality conversations happening all over this board.

Haha bah those conversations are for try-hards.

Why do people think he is a lock room cancer? Where did this come from?? I really think if he was that bad A) Darcy would remove him B) Lindy would not give him a letter.

Lindy is a tough SOB, i know he seems to have favourites, but i can't imagine why he would make Roy a captain if his attitude was this bad - this is not pewee hockey, Lindy is not Roy's dad i simply don't think it can be true

I may be mistaken, but I believe that he was quoted as viewing Roy as a son.

People want him to be a locker room cancer. He's such a little sh*t on the ice and off of it, you just have to assume he's the same guy in the locker room.

man with Roy its just one thing.

You don't shi.t in your own bed, to many press in buffalo made him "the go to guy" when things got rough.

when you put down the value of you players like that, don't expect to get good return for him.

So i'd rather keep him and his possible 70 point season over any 2nd line center in the NHL.

Paul Hamilton was talking about Roy this morning on my 6am drive in. Specifically, using Roy to trade for X. Hamilton insisted, as he has before, that there is no market whatsoever for Derek Roy right now, as he said last year at the deadline too. He did qualify that and say that the results of post-July 1 may change that, but right now noone wants Roy as part of trades. He has yet to go into any specifics of WHY Roy is so untradeable. We all know he puts up decent numbers, can play a two way game, and has a freindly contract number.

WTF is it about Roy that makes him hard to move?

I know a bunch of you summarily dismiss Hamilton but in my experience if he states it as fact he has sources that have backed his assertion up. I do believe he has sources, be they inside the team or around the league.

Let me rephrase what you just said: WTF does Darcy want for him that makes him so hard to move?

I'm assuming that Nieuwendyk (can't believe I spelled that correctly on the first try) won't trade Ott for Roy straight up. I can't imagine Darcy passing that deal up. Dallas wants a young top 6 forward from what I hear.

Thing is, if everything stays the same, we'll have him at this time next year becoming a UFA and run the risk of losing him for nothing. I'd hate to see that.

No market for Roy at this time doesn't mean there won't be. There are no UFA centers in this crop that can skate regular 2nd line minutes and almost half the teams in the league could use help in the middle.

Roy might not be the best option, but there are so few options in the market that trades will happen.

Besides... if you dump Roy, what's left with Hodgson, Ennis, etc. is a pretty young depth chart. One of those guys goes down and the season is already in peril.

Olli Jokinen? He's close.

I'm assuming that Nieuwendyk (can't believe I spelled that correctly on the first try) won't trade Ott for Roy straight up. I can't imagine Darcy passing that deal up. Dallas wants a young top 6 forward from what I hear.

This overvalues Ott and undervalues Roy. Ott is a 35-point player. Sure, he's tough; no doubt. But points actually still matter in the NHL. Roy for Ott is like Roy for a slightly better Gaustad. Still think Nieuwendyk wouldn't do that straight up? He'd do it in a heartbeat. It's the Sabres that should walk--no, run--away from such a proposal.

There are a lot of people who want Roy gone; that's fine by me. But the Sabres have to get equivalent value in return for him.

Guest Sloth

In December of 2010, Roy had 35 points in 35 games. He did this while the rest of the team was struggling. He then had an injury that was supposed to be season ending, but he had to be brought back for game 7 against the Flyers. Supposedly, the quad tendon he tore can take up two years to completely recover from. If Roy is a bit closer to 100% at the start of the season, I believe his numbers will go up. I still believe the guy is capable of matching the pace he had in 2010. If Roy does that, his trade value will go way up. Some teams right now may be entertaining the idea of taking a gamble on him before the season begins. Darcy has managed to make some "one sided" trades in the past. That is something that cannot be ignored.

In December of 2010, Roy had 35 points in 35 games. He did this while the rest of the team was struggling. He then had an injury that was supposed to be season ending, but he had to be brought back for game 7 against the Flyers. Supposedly, the quad tendon he tore can take up two years to completely recover from. If Roy is a bit closer to 100% at the start of the season, I believe his numbers will go up. I still believe the guy is capable of matching the pace he had in 2010. If Roy does that, his trade value will go way up. Some teams right now may be entertaining the idea of taking a gamble on him before the season begins. Darcy has managed to make some "one sided" trades in the past. That is something that cannot be ignored.

If he's producing for us this season, there's no way in hell we trade him at the deadline. (I'm still shocked we traded Gaustad at the deadline last year because he'd raised his game up to 'mediocre' status.) And are we really going to re-sign him after this season? Probably not, even if Regier and Ruff still have a crush on the guy. So it's trade him now for something or let him leave next summer for nothing.

I've accepted the fact that the opportunity to trade Roy for maximum value has passed. Now I just want to get him off the team so that we can move on with the new core. There should be a market once the free agent options for teams start to dry up.

You don't get rid of him for nothing but I heard all I will ever need to hear today about Roy. Anyone who listened to GR today knows damn well this guy will NEVER take it to the next level and his attitude sucks - period. Get him off the team and get a guy who may not put up as many points but will MORE than make up for it in determination and heart. There is ZERO chance thus guy is on the team come October - ZEROOO

Yea, and I have realiable people who tell me the "Bulldog" was a drunken bum at a time in his lfe. So what he says is written in stone? I want Roy to move on, but what the clowns on WGR say as they try to battle for ratings is rather trivial to me. I'll watch with my own eyes. For some reason, Lindy, who I would also like to move on, gives Roy a rather prominent roll. Is it because he is the best Darcy has given him? I don't know? Of my two sources, one dated the BD, and the other was a drinking buddy. These guys on the radio ruin people's reputations; and, it is about time they are held accountable. The" coach" chased Glen Parker out of town and he then started in a super bowl. Shopp was the coach's antagonist when he was on 107.7, and was his partner when he needed a paycheck. The guy who comes across as "above it all" ate crow and ignored his "high and mighty attitude when it meant a paycheck." Don't forget, facts are secondary if we can win the ratings battle in our time slot. I can demand more in advertising $$$, and ask for more in my paycheck. Follow the money trail, and take it all with a grain of salt.

Yea, and I have realiable people who tell me the "Bulldog" was a drunken bum at a time in his lfe. So what he says is written in stone? I want Roy to move on, but what the clowns on WGR say as they try to battle for ratings is rather trivial to me. I'll watch with my own eyes. For some reason, Lindy, who I would also like to move on, gives Roy a rather prominent roll. Is it because he is the best Darcy has given him? I don't know? Of my two sources, one dated the BD, and the other was a drinking buddy. These guys on the radio ruin people's reputations; and, it is about time they are held accountable. The" coach" chased Glen Parker out of town and he then started in a super bowl. Shopp was the coach's antagonist when he was on 107.7, and was his partner when he needed a paycheck. The guy who comes across as "above it all" ate crow and ignored his "high and mighty attitude when it meant a paycheck." Don't forget, facts are secondary if we can win the ratings battle in our time slot. I can demand more in advertising $$$, and ask for more in my paycheck. Follow the money trail, and take it all with a grain of salt.

So, you called into the show and were cut off and laughed at?

What "ratings battle?" There is no other sports talk in Buffalo. They have the rights to the Bills and the Sabres broadcast.

And BTW, Glen Parker sucked.

Archived