Derek Roy

Huckleberry

Yea, and I have realiable people who tell me the "Bulldog" was a drunken bum at a time in his lfe. So what he says is written in stone? I want Roy to move on, but what the clowns on WGR say as they try to battle for ratings is rather trivial to me. I'll watch with my own eyes. For some reason, Lindy, who I would also like to move on, gives Roy a rather prominent roll. Is it because he is the best Darcy has given him? I don't know? Of my two sources, one dated the BD, and the other was a drinking buddy. These guys on the radio ruin people's reputations; and, it is about time they are held accountable. The" coach" chased Glen Parker out of town and he then started in a super bowl. Shopp was the coach's antagonist when he was on 107.7, and was his partner when he needed a paycheck. The guy who comes across as "above it all" ate crow and ignored his "high and mighty attitude when it meant a paycheck." Don't forget, facts are secondary if we can win the ratings battle in our time slot. I can demand more in advertising $$$, and ask for more in my paycheck. Follow the money trail, and take it all with a grain of salt.

Well, except that there's only one sports radio station in Buffalo so they don't really have anyone to compete with. And they also carry all the Sabres games so telling the fans that one of the players is a complete scumbag probably isn't a great idea "for ratings." Their ratings are based almost entirely on how good the Bills and Sabres are.

The guys at WGR are in a no-win situation. For the past few years, Chris Parker has hinted at hearing bad things about Roy involving his work ethic and influence on the rest of the team, but got criticized for never going into specifics. But if he does go into specifics, he gets criticized for trashing the guy in public.

Look, I'm sure we will never agree on the validity of what they say.. .... However, their ratings are based strictly upon beating the other dj's in their time slot. Sure, they have an advantage with sports fans. To state their ratings are based stricltly on the Bills and Sabres is just plain wrong. They bashed the Bills, often rightfully so, when they weren't on the station. People listened to 103.3 and WBEN for a different slant and the actual local highlights. Sandy Beach has an advantage with the politically active. He has his BS too.

Look, I'm sure we will never agree on the validity of what they say.. .... However, their ratings are based strictly upon beating the other dj's in their time slot. Sure, they have an advantage with sports fans. To state their ratings are based stricltly on the Bills and Sabres is just plain wrong. They bashed the Bills, often rightfully so, when they weren't on the station. People listened to 103.3 and WBEN for a different slant and the actual local highlights. Sandy Beach has an advantage with the politically active. He has his BS too.

I'll say it again: Their rating are based on how good the teams are. Obviously more people will want to hear about the teams when they're exciting and less people will want to hear about them when they're mediocre or bad. The 2006 and 2007 Sabres gave the station its best ratings in years.

Do you actually believe that there are people who aren't interested in the teams but might tune in because they think the hosts are incendiary? Is there any evidence to support that?

Also, I don't think the local hosts are particularly harsh towards our teams (and definitely not compared to large markets). Jeremy White and Chris Parker are fairly positive. Schoop is contrarian, but that's not the same as negative or "bashing" the teams just for the sake of doing so.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Be prepared to throw up a lot. It's not as ludicrous as you may think.

This overvalues Ott and undervalues Roy. Ott is a 35-point player. Sure, he's tough; no doubt. But points actually still matter in the NHL. Roy for Ott is like Roy for a slightly better Gaustad. Still think Nieuwendyk wouldn't do that straight up? He'd do it in a heartbeat. It's the Sabres that should walk--no, run--away from such a proposal.

There are a lot of people who want Roy gone; that's fine by me. But the Sabres have to get equivalent value in return for him.

I think you might be undervaluing Ott. Teams have been trying to get him for some time but the price is always too high. Sound familiar? Nieuwendyk and Regier might be cut from the same cloth. Dallas will be making some big moves starting tomorrow (at least they will try), so now is the time to try for Ott.

Yea, and I have realiable people who tell me the "Bulldog" was a drunken bum at a time in his lfe. So what he says is written in stone? I want Roy to move on, but what the clowns on WGR say as they try to battle for ratings is rather trivial to me. I'll watch with my own eyes. For some reason, Lindy, who I would also like to move on, gives Roy a rather prominent roll. Is it because he is the best Darcy has given him? I don't know? Of my two sources, one dated the BD, and the other was a drinking buddy. These guys on the radio ruin people's reputations; and, it is about time they are held accountable. The" coach" chased Glen Parker out of town and he then started in a super bowl. Shopp was the coach's antagonist when he was on 107.7, and was his partner when he needed a paycheck. The guy who comes across as "above it all" ate crow and ignored his "high and mighty attitude when it meant a paycheck." Don't forget, facts are secondary if we can win the ratings battle in our time slot. I can demand more in advertising $$$, and ask for more in my paycheck. Follow the money trail, and take it all with a grain of salt.

Oh my God, Bulldog was a drunken bum at one time in his life? Five of my closest friends, all making 6 figures and two making 7 figures were all "drunken bums" at one time in their life. Nice throw away line for that agenda of yours.

I'd rather see him traded for something, something decent anyway. But it must really take a toll on a player to hear all things about themselves every single day for going on a year now.

Kid makes $4MM/year, that'll buy a lot of Midol.

I think a lot of this "everybody dump on Roy" business is fueled by three symptoms:

1) His point production dropped last year.

2) He's not performing like a #1 center.

3) He's got one year left on his contract, making him an expendable trade asset in some minds.

However, these are symptoms, and not root causes. I believe that Regier trying to convince fans that Roy and Connolly were 1A/1B type centers ("we have two of the top 20 centers in the league") has backfired against Roy.

1) His decreased production is a product of being targeted by opposing teams as the #1 center, or rather the center on the #1 line. He faced higher quality opponents, especially with no other Sabre center coming close in offensive production.

2) As OP brought up, he isn't really a #1 center. He's a very good 2nd line center. That's why he was stellar with Drury/Briere and occasionally Connolly around. See also: 1).

3) Can't really help this one. People think that to fill a hole at center, we should trade a center.

Won't speak for anyone else, but those are not MY reasons for 'dumping on Roy.'

Mine is quite simple - the team got better when he was out of the lineup and linemates play worse when they are on his line than when they are centered by others.

I fully expect that some GM/coach will believe that the reason teammates play worse with him centering them is Lindy Ruff's fault and they are smart enough to bring the best out of him. He SHOULD be able to be converted into a good player for the Sabres, and if part of a package he should be converted into a VERY good player.

No reason to trade him for a stick bag and some used pucks, but his leaving Buffalo will be a good thing for him and the Sabres. He'll get to be just a player on the 2nd line somewhere else and not a leader and the Sabres won't have him the example for the young guys of how to be an NHLer. The (damn near incontravertable) fact that somebody will give the Sabres legit assets for him will just make the trade all that sweeter.

Kid makes $4MM/year, that'll buy a lot of Midol.

Won't speak for anyone else, but those are not MY reasons for 'dumping on Roy.'

Mine is quite simple - the team got better when he was out of the lineup and linemates play worse when they are on his line than when they are centered by others.

I fully expect that some GM/coach will believe that the reason teammates play worse with him centering them is Lindy Ruff's fault and they are smart enough to bring the best out of him. He SHOULD be able to be converted into a good player for the Sabres, and if part of a package he should be converted into a VERY good player.

No reason to trade him for a stick bag and some used pucks, but his leaving Buffalo will be a good thing for him and the Sabres. He'll get to be just a player on the 2nd line somewhere else and not a leader and the Sabres won't have him the example for the young guys of how to be an NHLer. The (damn near incontravertable) fact that somebody will give the Sabres legit assets for him will just make the trade all that sweeter.

I don't think any of the reasons Iknowphysics list are reasons anyone on this site have mentioned for moving Roy. He's trying to frame the discussion in a way that makes his point.

My reason for moving Roy is pretty straightforward. The team was never able to succeed with him. And now that we finally have some centers that are actually centers (and not converted wingers) we have an opportunity to change the personality of the team. Roy's game and style of play doesn't win clutch games at the end of the season and in the playoffs. We have the luxury of enough centers to consider moving him for the type of player that does succeed and bring up the play of his teammates.

I don't think any of the reasons Iknowphysics list are reasons anyone on this site have mentioned for moving Roy. He's trying to frame the discussion in a way that makes his point.

My reason for moving Roy is pretty straightforward. The team was never able to succeed with him. And now that we finally have some centers that are actually centers (and not converted wingers) we have an opportunity to change the personality of the team. Roy's game and style of play doesn't win clutch games at the end of the season and in the playoffs. We have the luxury of enough centers to consider moving him for the type of player that does succeed and bring up the play of his teammates.

Different way of saying it, but I think we are on the same page on this one.

Oh my God, Bulldog was a drunken bum at one time in his life? Five of my closest friends, all making 6 figures and two making 7 figures were all "drunken bums" at one time in their life. Nice throw away line for that agenda of yours.

"I have a reliable source that says he(Roy) handed out invitations to a toga party after a player only meeting." That was BD's opening line Thursday afternoon in his condemnation of Roy. His opening salvo!. Five of my closest friends have had a toga party and may drink too much also Oh, and we all make what your 6 figure friends make.(Unfortunately, not your 7). These guys use their shows to trash people, based on a "reliable source." If you don't have a problem with that, shame on you. I have no agenda despite what you may think. I just don't trust everything the "respectable media" says, and I use that term loosely, when I speak of WGR. Ratings determines their paycheck. There is no other way for their employers to gauge them. Throw away lines? That was the point. They make their living using them.

Curious, since I don't have one, what is my agenda as you perceive it old time card guy?

"I have a reliable source that says he(Roy) handed out invitations to a toga party after a player only meeting." That was BD's opening line Thursday afternoon in his condemnation of Roy. His opening salvo!. Five of my closest friends have had a toga party and may drink too much also Oh, and we all make what your 6 figure friends make.(Unfortunately, not your 7). These guys use their shows to trash people, based on a "reliable source." If you don't have a problem with that, shame on you. I have no agenda despite what you may think. I just don't trust everything the "respectable media" says, and I use that term loosely, when I speak of WGR. Ratings determines their paycheck. There is no other way for their employers to gauge them. Throw away lines? That was the point. They make their living using them.

Curious, since I don't have one, what is my agenda as you perceive it old time card guy?

A) I don't give a damn what you think of the show but find it interesting that you listen to people that you think lie and have zero integrity

B) Almost every time Chris qualifies his statements on Roy with an admission that he hates him being on the team he supports

C) If you don't think things like handing out party invitations after what should be a serious, professional meeting, well we disagree.

But to imply that the announcers are somehow of less then ideal character because they may have partied too much when they were younger or to question their integrity all the while hiding behind an anonymous moniker, well that strikes me as someone whose only intent when posting was to denigrate the show's host.

You want to carry on this conversation, pm me as I'm sure the board doesn't want us using this forum for our scrum.

The Sabres know many fans don't want Roy on the team, but Darcy won't just throw away what he considers a valuable asset.

I wonder if Regier realizes that many of US don't like him, either? The team needs a serious shakeup to change fan attitudes about Regier and the Sabres organization- Roy has been on the roster too long - time to go. His value will only go DOWN with each subsequent season - time to cut losses.

A) I don't give a damn what you think of the show but find it interesting that you listen to people that you think lie and have zero integrity

B) Almost every time Chris qualifies his statements on Roy with an admission that he hates him being on the team he supports

C) If you don't think things like handing out party invitations after what should be a serious, professional meeting, well we disagree.

But to imply that the announcers are somehow of less then ideal character because they may have partied too much when they were younger or to question their integrity all the while hiding behind an anonymous moniker, well that strikes me as someone whose only intent when posting was to denigrate the show's host.

You want to carry on this conversation, pm me as I'm sure the board doesn't want us using this forum for our scrum.

I think his point, and maybe I'm wrong, was that if radio hosts want to bring criticism based upon rumor and innuendo, one of the particular hosts is equally susceptible to rumor and innuendo.

All of that said, that's what radio talk show hosts do. It's all they can do. They are not reporters, and they are not players, GMs, coaches, etc. All they can do is stir up trouble. And same goes for radio talk show hosts in politics, entertainment, whatever.

So, one response, as has been suggested, is to not listen. The other is to take all of it with a big grain of salt.

For me, I like listening. But I'll only take it seriously if it's coming from Hamilton.

For me, I like listening. But I'll only take it seriously if it's coming from Hamilton.

How seriously? Because, like, too seriously and then you're being a bit, well, too serious.

For all of this rumor and innuendo, I haven't heard anything substantial, except for herpes and time spent on Chippewa which I don't have reason to care about or believe in. What is Bulldogs gripe, for once and for all?

He got herpes on Chippewa.

I think his point, and maybe I'm wrong, was that if radio hosts want to bring criticism based upon rumor and innuendo, one of the particular hosts is equally susceptible to rumor and innuendo.

All of that said, that's what radio talk show hosts do. It's all they can do. They are not reporters, and they are not players, GMs, coaches, etc. All they can do is stir up trouble. And same goes for radio talk show hosts in politics, entertainment, whatever.

So, one response, as has been suggested, is to not listen. The other is to take all of it with a big grain of salt.

Thank you as you got it. Now like Tom, I'll drop this as it gets us no where. Just move Roy ASAP if and when it helps the team. If Gaustad got that contract based upon his play, it will be interesting to see what Roy gets as a free agent a year from now. Free agency is crazy. That's why I liked our draft this year.

So we traded away our top center from last year for a third line winger and a D man who either cant crack a lineup or cant stay healthy, I dont get this at all.

Yeah, not sure either. I would have to agree with others that more is coming. Also I think Hodgson and Ennis passed Roy as top centers.

Archived