Derek Roy

Huckleberry

Well lets really start the debate.

1. he publicly dissed his coach: well lets just say he joined the sabres fan club.

2. he puts up 70 points a season: hard to find any other 2nd line center with same numbers

3. he isn't more then a second line center

4. but he takes all the heat for a 1st line center cause we don't have anything better

5. I ###### want him to stay, battle true adversity and go for team win in buffalo

6. If grigorenko works out well, we don't need to trade roy

7. well we still got ennis and hodgon, cause no one believed we could draft grigor

I say we got 4 our centers and we roll with it.

8. last minute edit, if we got stastny in return i would make that deal still.

You don't get rid of him for nothing but I heard all I will ever need to hear today about Roy. Anyone who listened to GR today knows damn well this guy will NEVER take it to the next level and his attitude sucks - period. Get him off the team and get a guy who may not put up as many points but will MORE than make up for it in determination and heart. There is ZERO chance thus guy is on the team come October - ZEROOO

You don't get rid of him for nothing but I heard all I will ever need to hear today about Roy. Anyone who listened to GR today knows damn well this guy will NEVER take it to the next level and his attitude sucks - period. Get him off the team and get a guy who may not put up as many points but will MORE than make up for it in determination and heart. There is ZERO chance thus guy is on the team come October - ZEROOO

Forgive me, i missed the show today. What happened, if you don't mind summing it up?

Didn't listen today, but if you listened to me sit there on the radio and point out every one of Myers flaws for 2 hours and mix in some hearsay about a bad attitude and what not, I could probably convince you he should be traded too.

I agree that they need to get value for Derek Roy, for reasons stated just about every time his name comes up.

What was said on GR? (I see your post above but it's lacking specifics...we need to know!)

I'd rather see him traded for something, something decent anyway. But it must really take a toll on a player to hear all things about themselves every single day for going on a year now.

It's a wonder that Connolly and Stafford haven't self-immolated, then.

Roy is not a bad player by any means........I just think the spark has gone out and the fans/players know it.

That's why he needs to be traded so he can have a second chance in the NHL. Also I wouldn't trade him for just a draft or a So-so prospect, IMO we need atleast a solid 2/3 line player in return.

Everything said on WGR was basically Bulldog back on his crusade against Roy, so take it for what it's worth. I didn't hear all of it because I can't stand to listen to that show for more than a short period, but here's a brief summary of what I heard.

1) He told an opponent on the ice "hey take it easy it's just a game"....how Bulldog would know this, I have no idea

2) Bulldog's friends in the organization have told him "you're not wrong" about Roy

3) The typical he's lazy on the ice, takes bad penalties, won't raise his level of player, etc.

4) Schopp and the Bulldog are offended by toga parties

Edit: Oh and they rehashed the whole veteran telling Hamilton that "we'll be better without him."

Everything said on WGR was basically Bulldog back on his crusade against Roy, so take it for what it's worth. I didn't hear all of it because I can't stand to listen to that show for more than a short period, but here's a brief summary of what I heard.

1) He told an opponent on the ice "hey take it easy it's just a game"....how Bulldog would know this, I have no idea

2) Bulldog's friends in the organization have told him "you're not wrong" about Roy

3) The typical he's lazy on the ice, takes bad penalties, won't raise his level of player, etc.

4) Schopp and the Bulldog are offended by toga parties

Edit: Oh and they rehashed the whole veteran telling Hamilton that "we'll be better without him."

He is lazy on the ice and takes bad penalities. I think it was a nashville blogger that does razzie type NHL awards and looking thru them with the exception of his injury year Roy has been near the top in hooking and tripping penalites like 3/4 years

I think a lot of this "everybody dump on Roy" business is fueled by three symptoms:

1) His point production dropped last year.

2) He's not performing like a #1 center.

3) He's got one year left on his contract, making him an expendable trade asset in some minds.

However, these are symptoms, and not root causes. I believe that Regier trying to convince fans that Roy and Connolly were 1A/1B type centers ("we have two of the top 20 centers in the league") has backfired against Roy.

1) His decreased production is a product of being targeted by opposing teams as the #1 center, or rather the center on the #1 line. He faced higher quality opponents, especially with no other Sabre center coming close in offensive production.

2) As OP brought up, he isn't really a #1 center. He's a very good 2nd line center. That's why he was stellar with Drury/Briere and occasionally Connolly around. See also: 1).

3) Can't really help this one. People think that to fill a hole at center, we should trade a center.

He is lazy on the ice and takes bad penalities. I think it was a nashville blogger that does razzie type NHL awards and looking thru them with the exception of his injury year Roy has been near the top in hooking and tripping penalites like 3/4 years

I agree he is lazy and does take bad penalties, and I don't think anybody can really dispute that. But coming from Bulldog, I just don't take any of it seriously. The guy has been on a self-admitted crusade against Roy for 4 years, how can he possibly be even a little objective? I look at it this way: if Roy really were as much of a scourge on society as Bulldog would have us believe, Regier would have traded him for less than his perceived value just to get him the hell out of that locker room.

I think a lot of this "everybody dump on Roy" business is fueled by three symptoms:

3) He's got one year left on his contract, making him an expendable trade asset in some minds.

1) I understand his production being down coming back from a serious injury. His point totals are not the deciding factor for me

2) he doesn't have the skills to be a number 1 center and by that I mean he can't do anything scoring, playmaking, dangling, shutdown, or checking good enough to be a teams top center. He can do some of them good enough to be a decent 2nd liner or a great 3rd liner thou

3) He is expendable to me because I do not like how he plays the game (to soft and to reactionary), we have other players that can take his spot or need to develop in his role, and I do not want our young centers learning his game

I agree he is lazy and does take bad penalties, and I don't think anybody can really dispute that. But coming from Bulldog, I just don't take any of it seriously. The guy has been on a self-admitted crusade against Roy for 4 years, how can he possibly be even a little objective? I look at it this way: if Roy really were as much of a scourge on society as Bulldog would have us believe, Regier would have traded him for less than his perceived value just to get him the hell out of that locker room.

sports talk radio is one of the signs of the end of days............. or was it Spice Girls musical i forget

Well lets really start the debate.

1. he publicly dissed his coach: well lets just say he joined the sabres fan club.

2. he puts up 70 points a season: hard to find any other 2nd line center with same numbers

3. he isn't more then a second line center

4. but he takes all the heat for a 1st line center cause we don't have anything better

5. I ###### want him to stay, battle true adversity and go for team win in buffalo

6. If grigorenko works out well, we don't need to trade roy

7. well we still got ennis and hodgon, cause no one believed we could draft grigor

I say we got 4 our centers and we roll with it.

8. last minute edit, if we got stastny in return i would make that deal still.

I don't agree with all of this, but still a good post. Certainly hard to argue with #5 -- who wouldn't want that? But you also have to consider that there may be a destructive effect to keeping him on the team this year.

I would trade Roy for Stastny in a second.

You are omitting two huge ones:

4. He was terrible vs. Boston in the playoffs in 2010 -- in his first shot as a top center and forward on the team since Drury and Briere left, he was completely invisible.

5. The team was terrible for the first 35 games in 2010-2011 -- and then, the instant he went down with a season-ending injury, the team took off on a terrific run in which, I believe, they had the best record in the NHL in the 2nd half of the regular season.

I don't agree with all of this, but still a good post. Certainly hard to argue with #5 -- who wouldn't want that? But you also have to consider that there may be a destructive effect to keeping him on the team this year.

4. He was terrible vs. Boston in the playoffs in 2010 -- in his first shot as a top center and forward on the team since Drury and Briere left, he was completely invisible.

5. The team was terrible for the first 35 games in 2010-2011 -- and then, the instant he went down with a season-ending injury, the team took off on a terrific run in which, I believe, they had the best record in the NHL in the 2nd half of the regular season.

4. He is not and was not a first line center, he was a second line center playing for a team w/o a first line center.

5. He had 35 points in 35 games. Was it his fault the team was terrible during this time?

4. The whole team was awful in that series

5. Causation vs. correlation

If no off-season moves are made, I have Roy slated as my third line center heading into next season. Foligno/Ennis/Stafford showed some serious chemistry and imo Lindy should give them a chance to stick together for a while like towards the end of last season. I also keep Hodgson between Vanek and Pominville on line 1, leaving Roy to pivot the third line between Leino and Tropp, then fourth line of McCormick, Kaleta, Gerbe.

Derek Roy is 100% healthy heading into this season. I know he had a full, disappointing season in 2011-12, but one of the tidbits that came out after the Sabres fell short in their run to the playoffs was that the doctors told Roy it would be closer to two full years before his injury was 100% healed. Well, October is three months shy of that "two full year" mark -- I expect with a full summer of training at his limits and his injury nearly 100% healed, he should be much better conditioned heading into this season.

And, of course, you can't forget the old "contract year" factor. Some players will say that they treat a contract year like any other year, but I think that's impossible. Yes, teams look at a player's entire body of work -- not just one year -- before signing them, but a contract year is, of course, a player's last chance to earn themselves some leverage heading into free agency. Especially for a player like Derek Roy, who is coming off an injury-shortened season followed by a career-low in production, a lot of teams will be paying attention to see if his drop off was a result of injury or a lack of determination, dedication, etc. This season is a huge opportunity for Roy to turn his $4 million contract into a $5-$6 million contract should he reach free agency next summer -- if he puts up 80 points, teams will have no reason to shy away from giving him the money he deserves.

To me, this all adds up to a career year for Derek Roy, and I am one of the few on record as NOT wanting the Sabres to trade him.

Obviously if Roy is dealt in a trade that brings back a good return, I'm not going to complain. But there are many who severely under-value Roy. Some new Eklund-wanna-be on twitter said a "SOLID source close to the Sabres" told him that Roy "has played his last game as a Sabre and WILL be traded this summer" -- if that was the Sabres mindset heading into the off-season then they've already lost any leverage in trade talks. Why decide anything before feeling out the trade market? What if they don't get a good offer for him, will they just trade him for less because they've already made the decision that he's gone?

I hope to see Roy back in a Sabres uniform next year. The only way I'm okay with him going is in a trade for a #1 center like Joe Thornton, or to clear cap space for Parise & Doan. Otherwise, it would take a damn good offer to let him go.

Roy is a valuable commodity. I just don't think there is a place for him on the Sabres. We have Ennis and Hodgson for the top two lines, Grigs might be able to do third, if not we need those holes filled and I'd say with bigger guys.

Get something decent, but trade him now while we can get something for him. What would it take to get Vrbata (35 goals, 12 GWG)? Think Phoenix would want Roy? We could then sign a big C for the 4th line and maybe either have Girgs centering the 3rd line or a free agent.

However, these are symptoms, and not root causes. I believe that Regier trying to convince fans that Roy and Connolly were 1A/1B type centers ("we have two of the top 20 centers in the league") has backfired against Roy.

1) His decreased production is a product of being targeted by opposing teams as the #1 center, or rather the center on the #1 line. He faced higher quality opponents, especially with no other Sabre center coming close in offensive production.

2) As OP brought up, he isn't really a #1 center. He's a very good 2nd line center. That's why he was stellar with Drury/Briere and occasionally Connolly around. See also: 1).

3) Can't really help this one. People think that to fill a hole at center, we should trade a center.

His skill level plays no part into why I want him gone. He is not a number one center and I have no problem with the points he has put up.

Paul Hamilton was talking about Roy this morning on my 6am drive in. Specifically, using Roy to trade for X. Hamilton insisted, as he has before, that there is no market whatsoever for Derek Roy right now, as he said last year at the deadline too. He did qualify that and say that the results of post-July 1 may change that, but right now noone wants Roy as part of trades. He has yet to go into any specifics of WHY Roy is so untradeable. We all know he puts up decent numbers, can play a two way game, and has a freindly contract number.

WTF is it about Roy that makes him hard to move?

I know a bunch of you summarily dismiss Hamilton but in my experience if he states it as fact he has sources that have backed his assertion up. I do believe he has sources, be they inside the team or around the league.

Paul Hamilton was talking about Roy this morning on my 6am drive in. Specifically, using Roy to trade for X. Hamilton insisted, as he has before, that there is no market whatsoever for Derek Roy right now, as he said last year at the deadline too. He did qualify that and say that the results of post-July 1 may change that, but right now noone wants Roy as part of trades. He has yet to go into any specifics of WHY Roy is so untradeable. We all know he puts up decent numbers, can play a two way game, and has a freindly contract number.

WTF is it about Roy that makes him hard to move?

I know a bunch of you summarily dismiss Hamilton but in my experience if he states it as fact he has sources that have backed his assertion up. I do believe he has sources, be they inside the team or around the league.

Maybe some of the things said about Roy's attitude are true. I don't know. But I agree with you that Hamilton usually knows what he's talking about.

Archived