Sulzer re-signed

tom webster

In semi-related? news Paul "chewie" Sczcechura is headed to the KHL next year.

Regier:

Will qualify all of the RFA's.

Haven't talked to Ennis yet.

Haven't made decision on Hecht or Boyes.

He's been busy sipping kool aid by the pool.

Regier:

Too bad about chewie, I think a lot of us liked what we saw out of him early on.

Regier:

he only has ALL SUMMER to do those things...but you are right...

HAHA

Regier:

thanks for the recap chz

Too bad about chewie, I think a lot of us liked what we saw out of him early on.

I have to agree with you. I figured he'd be a good call up here and there for injuries this year, if not a serviceable 4th liner.

I'd really like to see McNabb on the team next season. Looks like they may have to move someone if they feel the same way.

Yeah I'm sure the posters on the amerks board are besides themselves over this move.

I'd really like to see McNabb on the team next season. Looks like they may have to move someone if they feel the same way.

Yeah I'm sure the posters on the amerks board are besides themselves over this move.

KHL has been after him for a while now. You'd think that in a year like this, CBA and all, there will be more than a few fringe players going overseas.

Definitely glad we got him on a cheap deal. I liked what he brought last year, but I also worry there's a bit of "Gragnani effect" with him, where we see him for a small sample of games where he's playing well and we end up thinking he's better than he really is.

This is what I keep thinking about. Ennis imho will continue to improve but Sulzer is a guy who has never done bad or great on any team and so I view this as a 6/7 guy that depending on the play of some of our other guys could get slotted in at any time. I think Leopold/Sekera wont be on the opening day roster because they will be traded. If that happens Sultzer better not turn into MAG.

:yawn: that's nice.

As of right now this is how I feel about it. However its the first real news in over a month... woooo....

FWIW, his leaving last year was his wife having a baby prematurely. Wife and baby are fine.

Glad all is well and completely understanding that he didn't want to talk about it.

It is of the most crucial nature that the Sabres draft a center in the first round of this years draft with a high upside. chewie can go ahead and play in russia because we are going to draft someone bigger and better. To this i say :yawn:

Man, I bet the problem was the lack of pond hockey in Rochester this year. Ordinarily I'd take Rochester over Russia, but after this winter...

I take it that this statement includes Schiestel, Persson, and Biega. Some bodies are really going to have to be cleared out via trade if they do retain all three of them.

He seemed slightly tentative to say it at first. Sort of a.... oh I didn't expect that question, but yeah okay I'll tell you.

AYK it doesn't necessarily mean they'll be back. He'll low ball the one's he can and see if they go to arby and drop them like a Kennedy if they insist.

Nice, I'm down with the signing. Really makes you think that one of our young Dmen are on their way out. Should be an interesting offseason for sure. Hopefully we can use a young guy such as Weber or Sekera along with one or two of our draft picks to bring in a scorer.

He seemed slightly tentative to say it at first. Sort of a.... oh I didn't expect that question, but yeah okay I'll tell you.

AYK it doesn't necessarily mean they'll be back. He'll low ball the one's he can and see if they go to arby and drop them like a Kennedy if they insist.

The three guys I mentioned would just take their QOs. Scheistel can't go to arbitration and I'm too lazy to look up Biega's age. Persson could, but with no NHL games, he's got zero leverage. I could see them rescinding the QO after a bit. Out of that group, I can't picture why they would bring Persson back at all. The others are a different story.

This is what I keep thinking about. Ennis imho will continue to improve but Sulzer is a guy who has never done bad or great on any team and so I view this as a 6/7 guy that depending on the play of some of our other guys could get slotted in at any time. I think Leopold/Sekera wont be on the opening day roster because they will be traded. If that happens Sultzer better not turn into MAG.

As of right now this is how I feel about it. However its the first real news in over a month... woooo....

Glad all is well and completely understanding that he didn't want to talk about it.

It is of the most crucial nature that the Sabres draft a center in the first round of this years draft with a high upside. chewie can go ahead and play in russia because we are going to draft someone bigger and better. To this i say :yawn:

I thought Varone fits where Chewie did, making his signing elsewhere a non-event. I really don't see how we can not trade up to he top 5 and still get a center worth anything, this draft seems to be Defensemen deep.

The three guys I mentioned would just take their QOs. Scheistel can't go to arbitration and I'm too lazy to look up Biega's age. Persson could, but with no NHL games, he's got zero leverage. I could see them rescinding the QO after a bit. Out of that group, I can't picture why they would bring Persson back at all. The others are a different story.

I thought Beiga also had limited upside. I can only think they want them for a possible trade with Edmonton, who lack dmen.

The Sabres have 9 NHL defencemen if you count McNabb; people are forgetting about Shaone Morrisson who could

still fetch some value in a trade ala last years trade of Steve Montador to Chicago.

As for Shiestel, Perrson, & Biega, none of them should be resigned. Biega is clearly too small and too easily

overpowered to be an NHL defenceman. Perrson has not panned out. Shiestel's injury issues do not seem

resolved. The Sabres only have so many contract slots. Pysyk & Gauthier-LeDuc will be in Rochester this

Fall.

I think that Amerks D-men next year will be:

All under contract:

Mark Pysyk - Joe Finley

T.J. Brennan - Gauthier-Leduc

Nick Crawford - Matt MacKenzie

Add in perhaps Alex Lepkowski(?)

The Sabres have 9 NHL defencemen if you count McNabb; people are forgetting about Shaone Morrisson who could

still fetch some value in a trade ala last years trade of Steve Montador to Chicago.

When people say that they have 8 NHL defensemen, they mean for the 2012-13 season. Morrisonn is gone on July 1.

Montador's rights were traded for a 7th-round pick after playing 73 NHL games, averaging over 18 minutes TOI per game, and scoring 26 points (with roughly the same in the previous season.) Morrisonn didn't crack the NHL lineup this season and played 62 NHL games, averaging 16 minutes TOI, and scoring 5 points the season before. I'd be surprised if they can trade his rights for anything.

I agree that Morrisonn's value is quite low right now. But, I think that the consensus was that he was the Amerks best defencemen this year (helping

Finley look good), proving that he belonged in the NHL. If it weren't for the contract situation, I believe that he would have been called up last year. And look

at Sulzer, a guy who has bounced around on 4 teams; he's not exactly NHL thoroughbred material, yet just got resigned because he played well for a stretch

and found a nice fit along his fellow compatriot.

If the Sabres can translate Barrie Moore & Craig Millar for Miro Satan, well, you just never know if you don't try. Morrisonn could be part of a package

deal to a team needing extra depth at D. Philly has an interesting situation at defence, and they seem to like older d-man reclamation projects.

I'm just saying that a good GM would know how to talk up his assets and find teams who are willing and needing to make changes.

As for Lepkowski, I wasn't sure about his age nor the Sabres desire to sign him. That's why I put a question mark. Maybe they'll sign a free agent?

Anyone else have any ideas on the Amerks defence for 2012-2013?

Does this pave the way to move a D-man?

Yes, yes it does, and Regier hinted to this very situation.

You can fully expect to see Regier attempt a package or 2 at the draft and maybe even just afterwards if necessary.

Whether or not he's successful is a different story, but I'll bite on the speculation side and say that Derek Roy and one of Leopold or Sekera have seen their last days in a Sabres uniform, and that is most likely for starters. You can throw picks in the mix as well.

Buffalo has a log jam in the pipeline on D men, especially in the AHL where several juniors are expected to make their debut's this coming season.

I see a center of note potentially on their way to First Niagara Center this year.

The question is, can Regier get it done?

After his resigning, I read into Sulzer some more. It looks like he could be little bit of a diamond in the rough in that he may have some upside. He was a 3rd round pick. He's 28, having spent most of his 20s in DEL and in callup situations between Milwaukee and Nashville. He was successful in the AHL, recording 96 points in 145 games.

It's possible that he hasn't established himself in the NHL yet because the opportunities weren't there. He'd only played in 74 NHL games before arriving in Buffalo. He gets here, and you know the story, he gets more playing time and puts up 8 points and +2 in 15 games.

I wonder if he'll be a regular in the top six.

Archived