Sulzer re-signed

tom webster

I think Alka can work good here. He seems to have all the skills defensmen that excel for Ruff need(skating, puck movement, defensive positioning, stick checking). Granted he doesn't stand out in any of this skills but his game seems to center around them. Assuming a roster D is moved before the start of the season, I can see him holding down the 5/6 spot or even pairing up with Erhoff.

Excellent analysis, John Madden.

It's a signing that doesn't really mean much of anything in the big picture. What more do you want to hear?

The Darcy of yesteryear would let players like him go, I'm happy we've retained him.

A middle of the pack, bottom pairing guy? I thought we've had plenty of those in recent years. It's the high end guys that they wouldn't keep around. Sulzer is a good guy to have around for depth.

It's a signing that doesn't really mean much of anything in the big picture. What more do you want to hear?

A middle of the pack, bottom pairing guy? I thought we've had plenty of those in recent years. It's the high end guys that they wouldn't keep around. Sulzer is a good guy to have around for depth.

He played well for us and is popular with the fans, I know he'll never be a superstar but you have to have players like him and I believe he can be very good at his role. Whats wrong with being happy about that?

When the thread title read "Sulzer re-signed" and OP posted "Don't know if this merits its own thread," everyone else checked the big picture at the door.

Some have written him off as a 7/8 guy. I think there's untested potential to be a regular 5/6 guy. If he cleans up well and pairs up with Ehrhoff, then maybe he'll have a more involved role than that. That's all I'm pontificating. There's nothing earth shattering here.

Based on the comments from Darcy; this is an important signing. It allows for the team to move some D assets in order to get better on the front end. It is a 'cheap' contract which keeps salary for a bigger priced forward. If Sulzer can play as well next season on a full time basis as he did for the limited number of games this season then it will only make the Sabres a better team.

Archived