Sulzer re-signed

tom webster

For a guy that seemed like window dressing on the Kassian - Hodgson trade at the time, he turned out to be the new Sabre that had the more stabilizing presence right away. If memory serves, he took shots that got through to the net as well. Always a good thing...

Definitely glad we got him on a cheap deal. I liked what he brought last year, but I also worry there's a bit of "Gragnani effect" with him, where we see him for a small sample of games where he's playing well and we end up thinking he's better than he really is.

Wow, that's a steal.

it looks like his market value was pegged as a 7th d-man.

now, if he's paired with the 'hoff and plays as well as he did when he came over from vancouver, then, yeah -- a steal.

but, looking back at his career to date, you'd think he's supposed to slot in as a 7th/spot guy.

should be interesting to see how he pans out in 2012-2013.

it looks like his market value was pegged as a 7th d-man.

now, if he's paired with the 'hoff and plays as well as he did when he came over from vancouver, then, yeah -- a steal.

but, looking back at his career to date, you'd think he's supposed to slot in as a 7th/spot guy.

should be interesting to see how he pans out in 2012-2013.

I'd expect him to be a 7th slot guy, but then again it might be insurance for Darcy in case a trade happens where he moves a D-man. Never hurts to have someone on the roster that you can waive or scratch if you don't need him.

For 750K...sweet. We waste that kind of money on multiple prospects every year. Sulzer is what he is, but at that price I like it. I look at him as a crappy version of Montador's skillset who has Sekera's fear of physical play on the backend. Considering those 2 other guys are making 4x the salary, Sulzer is a relative bargain.

For 750K...sweet. We waste that kind of money on multiple prospects every year. Sulzer is what he is, but at that price I like it. I look at him as a crappy version of Montador's skillset who has Sekera's fear of physical play on the backend. Considering those 2 other guys are making 4x the salary, Sulzer is a relative bargain.

8/10 on the backhanded compliment ;)

Maintaining depth that has shown good chemistry for what amounts to a 3.5% raise? Easy decision.

That sort of salary commitment doesn't even make you blink in the situation where he were to be replaced by McNabb, Brennan, et al.

Quickedit: In fact, I think that's what your $725k is really buying you: another year of development for McNabb/Brennan/Pysyk so that they wouldn't be forced to be called up into constant emergency callup status.

sweet? really?

Great signing. The guy isn't a world beater by any stretch, but he is capable of holding his own and doesn't break the bank. Overall, I'm satisfied with our defensive corps. Now we just need to restock our pool of centers and add some size and toughness.

sweet? really?

Yeah....as a #7 defenseman.....they signed him before he hit the open market at pretty much minor league money. He isn't great, but if he needs to play 25-30 games, you could do much worse. There was a chance some other team thought of him as burried on a cup caliber team in Vancouver and gave him 7 figures. If they didn't sign him, I really wouldn't care, but he is ok as a body back there

:yawn: that's nice.

u r so zegative..........

Yeah....as a #7 defenseman.....they signed him before he hit the open market at pretty much minor league money. He isn't great, but if he needs to play 25-30 games, you could do much worse. There was a chance some other team thought of him as burried on a cup caliber team in Vancouver and gave him 7 figures. If they didn't sign him, I really wouldn't care, but he is ok as a body back there

Initial assessment, more upside to the move or more potential downside (I'm thinking in Cap terms and working under the assumption that the next 6 weeks will be busy for the Sabres?

I love this signing. It wouldn't have hurt the organization if they let him walk, but his play down the stretch last season was awesome. Also, it's not unheard of to sign players this early, but given our depth at defense and the early re-signing of Sulzer, can you smell a draft day trade?

Archived