Is Ruff too harsh on players?

Marvelo

I appreacite the "it's time for a change" argument. But my only worries are:

A) who would replace him? Lindy is a good coach in my opinion and there are few coaches i think could do a better job, especially as a lot of players have only really played for him and so may struggle to adjust to a new system? (that last part is speculation at best)

B) Would a change do anything? All the players seem to think he is alright/fair, a lot of players have said the problem was them not the coach and not to mention, changing coach is not always the answer (hello Caps, Habs and Leafs)

wow, you don't really believe this do you? only 4 playoffs in the last 10 years and you don't think someone else could do just as good or god forbid maybe better. I couldn't disagree with you more.

I appreacite the "it's time for a change" argument. But my only worries are:

A) who would replace him? Lindy is a good coach in my opinion and there are few coaches i think could do a better job, especially as a lot of players have only really played for him and so may struggle to adjust to a new system? (that last part is speculation at best)

B) Would a change do anything? All the players seem to think he is alright/fair, a lot of players have said the problem was them not the coach and not to mention, changing coach is not always the answer (hello Caps, Habs and Leafs)

Mike Keenan's looking for a job right as we speak. Heartbeat replacement, IMO. And of course, it would change basically everything about the team to get a new coach after 5000 years with Ruff. But Lindy ain't being fired, so it's as moot as my pipe dream for Brad Richards was.

Roy said something to the effect of instead of always berating maybe sometimes taking a video and showing what he is doing wrong or where he could be better. That my friend is the true essence of coaching. Vanek himself said Lindy treats him like a 21 yr old nothing is changed since he joined but i beg to differ everything is changed now. Vanek is now a 30 yr old adult father and husband. To continue to treat and talk to anyone who is an adult like a 21 year old is a lack of respect at the least and very demoralizing over time at the worse.

Agreed.

That comment by Vanek that Ruff treats him (and others or everyone I think he said) the same now as when he was a rookie intrigued me. I'm sure you can take it to mean that you know where you stand with Ruff on day 1. But based on the tone of the remark it really seemed to have more of a negative statement.

Maybe that plays into the idea of Ruff not wanting a strong leader on the team. Maybe it plays into why some of the veteran players traded to the team don't seem to excel.

All i can say is you "die hard" buffalo fans need to see reality with the rest of us (and we are true fans) that can see you don't continue down the same path with guys that have been running an organization for 15 years with no success to show for it...the only thing that is a success to me is a Stanley Cup or a Super Bowl. I am not happy to make a run at the playoffs or barely get in to get embarrassed.

Timmy wasn't known for his outstanding offseason work ethic, either.

All i can say is you "die hard" buffalo fans need to see reality with the rest of us (and we are true fans) that can see you don't continue down the same path with guys that have been running an organization for 15 years with no success to show for it...the only thing that is a success to me is a Stanley Cup or a Super Bowl. I am not happy to make a run at the playoffs or barely get in to get embarrassed.

Shut the f*ck up.

Just who exactly are the rest of us ?

Mike Keenan's looking for a job right as we speak. Heartbeat replacement, IMO. And of course, it would change basically everything about the team to get a new coach after 5000 years with Ruff. But Lindy ain't being fired, so it's as moot as my pipe dream for Brad Richards was.

Sooo, you want to go from a coach who might be too tough on his players to one who is absolutely without a doubt too tough on his players? Interesting. That might last a year... MIGHT. :)

Is Ruff too tough? I'd say not. But I'd also say that after several years of being yelled at people tend to ignore that stuff, we need fresh blood but many teams could do a lot worse than Ruff.

Sooo, you want to go from a coach who might be too tough on his players to one who is absolutely without a doubt too tough on his players? Interesting. That might last a year... MIGHT. :)

I hate Mike Keenan. That is all. Infact it isn't, I hate that grotbag. NOW that is all from me.

If players don't have a love/hate relationship with their coach - they don't have a good coach.

I'm not sure if Lindy is the guy to take them to the next level, but one thing I like is that the players aren't in charge.

Players on Ruff teams earn their time.

Excellent point--- the surest way for a coach to lose his team is if he's viewed as weak and no longer in the driver's seat.

Ha. Yeah I perceive a lot of the loaded questions as doing the guy a favor, soft ball style, Razor does it too. "you have to do this interview, I'll make it easy for you because I understand it's not something you want to do between periods or after a loss, etc". Just being friendly or easy to work with.

If there were grumblings, not to get all conspiracy, but it's possible Roy anticipated it and hoped for it, knowing he could be the whistle blower on the way out of town for his buddies that stay.

On the other hand, Howard chimed in with "Thanks for giving us something to talk about Paul!" this morning.

Ultimately I think they can make it work (ruff/players). But for the first time, I'm ready for change w/ the coach.

Yeah, I definitely don't think there's any malicious intent on Hamilton's part. In fact, yesterday afternoon with Mike Schopp he stated in pretty strong terms that he felt Vanek truly didn't care about any abrasiveness on Ruff's part and would very likely not be so emphatic about wanting to stay in Buffalo if it were an issue. He actually said Vanek lit up when asked about Buffalo. The in-studio guys really have no choice but to go with it and it's been picked up by other media outlets as a result. I bet most of us are already bored with the topic.

I think the voice needs to change. Ruff is a good coach but it's time for change. My opinion.

I agree with all three of you--- it very well may be time.

I probably shouldn't speak for Chimp but I don't think he's one of the folks here who feel Ruff is to harsh on his players.

Mike Keenan seems to always be "Looking for a job right as we speak"

If he is such a great coach, why can't he stay in one place? Why aren't teams running out to sign him?

Since his one and only SC appearance and win with the Rangers in 93-94, he has coached off and on for 11 seasons, and in that span he has appeared in the playoffs 4 of those 11 years where his teams made the Conference Quarter Finals 3 times and the Conference Semi Finals once.

In Ruffs last 11 seasons as a HC, he has made the playoffs 5 times in 11 years, Appearing in the Conference Quarter Finals twice, the Conference Semi Finals once, and the Conference Finals twice. (Prior to that, his 3 previous seasons he was in the Conference Quarter Finals once, Conference finals once, and the SC Finals once)

So yeah, guess facts show that Mike Keenan is head and shoulders better then Ruff would be :rolleyes: :doh:

Mike Keenan seems to always be "Looking for a job right as we speak"

If he is such a great coach, why can't he stay in one place? Why aren't teams running out to sign him?

Since his one and only SC appearance and win with the Rangers in 93-94, he has coached off and on for 11 seasons, and in that span he has appeared in the playoffs 4 of those 11 years where his teams made the Conference Quarter Finals 3 times and the Conference Semi Finals once.

In Ruffs last 11 seasons as a HC, he has made the playoffs 5 times in 11 years, Appearing in the Conference Quarter Finals twice, the Conference Semi Finals once, and the Conference Finals twice. (Prior to that, his 3 previous seasons he was in the Conference Quarter Finals once, Conference finals once, and the SC Finals once)

So yeah, guess facts show that Mike Keenan is head and shoulders better then Ruff would be :rolleyes: :doh:

Wow. Nice post. That was officially a class A burn.

Interesting choice by Lindy. I wonder if he's feeling burned out after this season?

You seen the list of Sabres declining to play for their countries? This doesnt surprise me.

Interesting choice by Lindy. I wonder if he's feeling burned out after this season?

That would be my guess. I mentioned during the worst parts of the season, he looked like a beaten man...just out of gas/juice/whatever. So either he just wants to escape hockey for a little while, or he's going to be completely focused on the offseason and working with management/ownership to make things better.

I had a dream this morning I was on the Sabres. Between periods we were all in the locker room. Lindy was yelling at us. I was okay with it.

Tell us how you feel when you have a dream where he started only playing you 4 minutes a game and not telling you how to improve your game.

This thread should be in the hall of fame as a monument to people reading way to much into something they cannot really know about. Only the people in the room know how the room works, and the media and the board are never going to be able to portray that.

Archived