Is Ruff too harsh on players?

Marvelo

http://wgr550.com/pages/12786610.php?contentType=4&contentId=10363936

I think Paul Hamilton is spot on in this article. The quotes from Roy, Vanek and Stafford are telling. Who'd really like your coach to be yapping at him for 6-7 years to his face and to the media? It seems to me what happened to this team this year is mutiny, rightful or not.

Something's going to change. I'm of the belief that Ruff has to go. I think he's done. There was discussion on what type of coach he was after the Olympics and that he's essentially gotten away from all of that and it's mostly just riding the players.

I would also think that Roy and Vanek could be moved. Stafford's not going anywhere. Still, it's hard to say that this team can't be so much better with just a change in coaching. We've only ever seen them perform under 1 coach.

Something's going to change. I'm of the belief that Ruff has to go. I think he's done. There was discussion on what type of coach he was after the Olympics and that he's essentially gotten away from all of that and it's mostly just riding the players.

I would also think that Roy and Vanek could be moved. Stafford's not going anywhere. Still, it's hard to say that this team can't be so much better with just a change in coaching. We've only ever seen them perform under 1 coach.

Care to elaborate on the bolded part?

Guest Sloth

I guarantee there are coaches who have won Cups in the past decade who are much harder on their players than Lindy has EVER been.

Agreed. Do people not want coaches at the professional level to not go off on their players? Dang, I remember my high school soccer coach using all types of profanity and even breaking a few things if we were not playing to the level we were supposed to. I support Lindy's actions and definitely believe winning coaches do the same thing. A coach is not hired to be a friend to his players.

Agreed. Do people not want coaches at the professional level to not go off on their players? Dang, I remember my high school soccer coach using all types of profanity and even breaking a few things if we were not playing to the level we were supposed to. I support Lindy's actions and definitely believe winning coaches do the same thing.

!5 years, the longest tenured coach in hockey and possibly all professional sports, and no championships? So, what has he won?

The thing is, in my opinion, Paul Hamilton has a ton of credibility. Like him or not, he's not a troll. If this article was from Sullivan or Gleason I'd be more likely to pass it off as a ratings grab. Since it's from Hamilton I take it seriously. He travels with the team. He might have personal or at least professional relationships with many of the players and Ruff. There seems to be respect there on both sides. I don't think he'd put this article out if it wasn't legit. I think the core is frustrated and I think the new guys (Regher, Erhoff, Leino, Boyes) may have given them confidence to speak out. I really like Lindy. I don't feel qualified to judge his Xs and Os. I want Lindy, the angry, snarling, passionate coach in the Stanley Cup parade in the streets of Buffalo. But it seems like it's time to make a change. And Schopp touched on it this evening too. "you want to be hockey heaven? you better have a coach players like playing for".

Fragile. Little. Children.

It doesn't matter if Ruff is "too harsh" or if the players are all "children." At the end of the day, Ruff's job is to get the most out of the talent he has. Is anyone convinced that's he's doing that? And, if so, why?

Given the last five years, I think there's more evidence that he's not. Or, if nothing else, I'm not so enthralled with Ruff's performance that I'm not curious to see what someone else could do.

They were better shortly after they came into the system, than they have been, ahem, under the development of this coach/system. My understanding of things, is that Darcy does the drafting, and "shapes" the roster, according to the teams needs, with the coaches input.

If I'm a professional hockey player, I respect an innovator coach, rather than a guy who is assistant team Canada, then comes back copying the coaches whom he worked under.

Agreed. Do people not want coaches at the professional level to not go off on their players? Dang, I remember my high school soccer coach using all types of profanity and even breaking a few things if we were not playing to the level we were supposed to. I support Lindy's actions and definitely believe winning coaches do the same thing. A coach is not hired to be a friend to his players.

All of the Bills loved Dick Jauron because he was such a nice guy. THAT was one of his biggest flaws!!Bylsma is a hardass coach, how's he doing lately?

Roy's playing time defies explanation, The Chimp. We believe that Roy is a freelancing downtown prostitute. Management seems to believe that he is a passionately versatile hard-worker. Either way, business has been good for Roy, under Lindy.

And you are echoing the complaint held by many that Roy never gets called out. Here is an article inexplicably using Roy as an example of how Lindy calls out his players TOO MUCH. I'm just cautioning the rabidly anti-Lindy folks to be careful with this particular line of attack. It'll make them look like hypocrites.

Funny, the thing that made me change my mind about how badly I wanted Lindy gone was the fact that he DID start to call his players out this year. Not necessarily personally, but moreso as a team.

I think he can call out his players, but it's risky, and I don't see what the point is, truly. Would an article in the newspaper, saying how you ###### up, motivate you? Would you get extra amped if your boss supplied most of the ammunition? If I'm a pro hockey player, it would throw me off.

Guest Sloth

I think he can call out his players, but it's risky, and I don't see what the point is, truly. Would an article in the newspaper, saying how you ###### up, motivate you? Would you get extra amped if your boss supplied most of the ammunition? If I'm a pro hockey player, it would throw me off.

Look at it from this perspective. How would you react if your boss went off on you and more or less said your job was on the line? If my employer did that, I'd increase the job performance. Even though these guys are playing hockey, it's still a profession. Their job performance has a huge impact on the their employment status.

Maybe they are actually Poorly Coached. Misused. NHL Talent.

I doubt Ruff is going anywhere. It makes me feel good as a fan of the team that so many are willing to at least have the conversation about Lindy Ruff.

WGR has a poll about who should go Ruff or Roy. I voted Ruff, I would like to see Roy play under a different coach rather than bring in another player and have Lindy Ruff not know how to use them.

Didn't actually read the article, eh? All three say they're fine with it, even Roy.

Roy still thinks his relationship with his coach is fine, “Behind closed doors it’s good. He expects a lot of me and he wants me to be a leader and to be the hardest working guy on the team. I try to bring that in practice and games. Sometimes when he doesn’t think I’m working hard or doing something he lets me know so that’s good, it keeps me in check.”

Thomas Vanek is another frequent target of the head coach. He said, “We’ve always had that relationship since day one so it’s not that’s changed so no. I’ve played over 500 games and it’s not like he just started doing it to me two months ago. He’s tough on his guys and you’ve got to respect that and play. It’s fine, we’ve always had a good one (relationship). He’s hard on a lot of guys, he’s hard on me.

Drew Stafford has been screamed at during games so loud that fans in the first few rows could hear it. The winger said, “I’m OK with it. I’ve finished my 6th year now and at this point we have a relationship where I know what he expects out of me. I know what I expect out of myself and when things aren’t going well, there’s going to be frustration, there’s going to be yelling. The atmosphere here, when you’re losing it’s miserable for everybody and that’s the way it goes and earlier in your career when you’re a younger player it makes it even harder to deal with that. I think this year it was hard for me because of the success I had last year and coming in this year there are a lot of expectations and things weren’t going well right off the bat and it definitely made it challenging, but I know what to expect from Lindy, he has high expectations for myself so when there’s frustration, when there’s the arguments, the yelling it’s all because we’re trying to make each other better.” Stafford added, “I think he’s a great coach. He’s obviously done a great job over the years here and I have a lot of respect for him so for me personally I give him a lot of credit for my development as a player both on and off the ice.”

Archived