Is Ruff too harsh on players?

Marvelo

This thread should be in the hall of fame as a monument to people reading way to much into something they cannot really know about. Only the people in the room know how the room works, and the media and the board are never going to be able to portray that.

You're just being apathetic. :P

Ruff is tough on some and not willing to get rid of others... Roy. He seems to have lost his mojo. Some might argue he never had it. I think he did, but having him take a break is probably a good thing. I like him as a coach. That being said, I want him to win and if he can't figure that out or as others have said it is too late for him to do it here, he should probably move on.

The Sabres should have someone in mind though before they make such a decision. It does no good to ready fire and then aim. It can always get worse, look at Edmonton and Toronto.

it's not Lindy's job to motivate or coach the players.

Does anyone really believe it was a secret to Luke Adam why his playing time dried up?

(25 pointless games is a lot of patience to show a rookie)

Scoring is a funny thing....when you're squeezing the stick, it often does no good to have your coach say your need to score more.

Does anyone really believe it was a secret to Luke Adam why his playing time dried up?

(25 pointless games is a lot of patience to show a rookie)

Scoring is a funny thing....when you're squeezing the stick, it often does no good to have your coach say your need to score more.

I guess it's too much to ask for Lindy to coach up Adam.

Sooo, you want to go from a coach who might be too tough on his players to one who is absolutely without a doubt too tough on his players? Interesting. That might last a year... MIGHT. :)

Hey now, I absolutely am not someone who said that Ruff was too hard on his players. This is how reputations get started... :ph34r:

Mike Keenan seems to always be "Looking for a job right as we speak"

If he is such a great coach, why can't he stay in one place? Why aren't teams running out to sign him?

Since his one and only SC appearance and win with the Rangers in 93-94, he has coached off and on for 11 seasons, and in that span he has appeared in the playoffs 4 of those 11 years where his teams made the Conference Quarter Finals 3 times and the Conference Semi Finals once.

In Ruffs last 11 seasons as a HC, he has made the playoffs 5 times in 11 years, Appearing in the Conference Quarter Finals twice, the Conference Semi Finals once, and the Conference Finals twice. (Prior to that, his 3 previous seasons he was in the Conference Quarter Finals once, Conference finals once, and the SC Finals once)

So yeah, guess facts show that Mike Keenan is head and shoulders better then Ruff would be :rolleyes: :doh:

Funny thing is, I wasn't even thinking about his record. I just knew I liked him as a coach when I heard him talk...like in the 90s and 80s I think. But now that you went and posted each of their accomplishments, how about admitting that you had major problems hitting "Post" after you did so, because they're almost identical, and therefore, Keenan, by YOUR logic, couldn;t possibly be any WORSE than Lindy, and that should suffice for those who want Ruff replaced, no?

:lol: Oh wait: :rolleyes: :doh:

(I really liked how you wanted to start the counter on Keenan the year after he won a Cup. That was awesome. So tricky).

Lemme guess. A bunch of you now think that I'm all gung ho that Lindy needs to go now, right? Because I said that about Keenan? :lol:

Hey now, I absolutely am not someone who said that Ruff was too hard on his players. This is how reputations get started... :ph34r:

Funny thing is, I wasn't even thinking about his record. I just knew I liked him as a coach when I heard him talk...like in the 90s and 80s I think. But now that you went and posted each of their accomplishments, how about admitting that you had major problems hitting "Post" after you did so, because they're almost identical, and therefore, Keenan, by YOUR logic, couldn;t possibly be any WORSE than Lindy, and that should suffice for those who want Ruff replaced, no?

(I really liked how you wanted to start the counter on Keenan the year after he won a Cup. That was awesome. So tricky).

Lemme guess. A bunch of you now think that I'm all gung ho that Lindy needs to go now, right? Because I said that about Keenan? :lol:

Aside from Keenan I thought you were for Lindy being gone from your comments earlier this year. Am I wrong?

I was only looking at the last 10 because thats what everyone uses for Ruff in their rants about running him out of town for failing to make the playoffs 6 out of the last 10. I ended up going back 11 cause it ended up being his first year with the Blues and happened to be the year after he won the cup. I never tried to hide the fact that over his career he has won a Stanley cup, and if you go back further in Ruffs career, some of his best seasons were prior to the last 11.

I never had any problems hitting post after writting that. Why would I? You were making the suggestion that Keenan would be a better option then Ruff and I proved that in their previous 11 seasons, (Ruff with only one team over 11 years, Keenan with around 4 teams in almost 18 year span) Ruff has actually gotten further with his team then Keenan has with the multiple teams he has coached over his last 11 seasons of coaching

So basically what your saying is that they should get rid of Ruff and just replace him with someone who may not be better, but probably isn't any worse, just because?

I was just commenting on your mention of Keenan. And I said "might" be too hard on his players.. because I don't know if he is.. just saying overall, we KNOW Keenan kills players. That's been upheld time and time again.

Aside from Keenan I thought you were for Lindy being gone from your comments earlier this year. Am I wrong?

I'd LOVE to see a new coach here. But I believed Hamilton earlier in the year when he adamantly and repeatedly said that Lindy and Darcy were here next year no matter what, and so I stopped arguing about it and instead tried to see if I couldn't find another route to argue, which has become more of a, how come Darcy still doesn't have to actually GET players that he knows Lindy will appreciate and be able to work with? That's a huge problem. Best and most infuriating example is Ville Leino. The longer he stays, and Lindy stays, this team will suffer. If Darcy really wants to build a winner with LINDY as the coach, he had better start figuring out what kind of players Lindy simply cannot coach and STOP GETTING THEM.

I was just commenting on your mention of Keenan. And I said "might" be too hard on his players.. because I don't know if he is.. just saying overall, we KNOW Keenan kills players. That's been upheld time and time again.

Ahh, gotcha. And I'll admit that I know nothing of those rumors. So OK, that settles it, I'm sticking with Lindy.

I never had any problems hitting post after writting that. Why would I? You were making the suggestion that Keenan would be a better option then Ruff and I proved that in their previous 11 seasons, (Ruff with only one team over 11 years, Keenan with around 4 teams in almost 18 year span) Ruff has actually gotten further with his team then Keenan has with the multiple teams he has coached over his last 11 seasons of coaching

Better? Go back. Not at all what I said.

I'd LOVE to see a new coach here. But I believed Hamilton earlier in the year when he adamantly and repeatedly said that Lindy and Darcy were here next year no matter what, and so I stopped arguing about it and instead tried to see if I couldn't find another route to argue, which has become more of a, how come Darcy still doesn't have to actually GET players that he knows Lindy will appreciate and be able to work with? That's a huge problem. Best and most infuriating example is Ville Leino. The longer he stays, and Lindy stays, this team will suffer. If Darcy really wants to build a winner with LINDY as the coach, he had better start figuring out what kind of players Lindy simply cannot coach and STOP GETTING THEM.

Personally, I wouldn't be the least surprised if he actually asks Lindy if he can coach the guys he brings in, and Lindy says "of course", and is just as surprised as anyone when he can't.

But who knows?

Personally, I wouldn't be the least surprised if he actually asks Lindy if he can coach the guys he brings in, and Lindy says "of course", and is just as surprised as anyone when he can't.

But who knows?

I think every single coach in professional sports is like that. Why do you think talented underachievers get 10 different chances with different teams? Coaches' egos are absurdly large, they all think they're so special they can turn a guy around.

Lindy Ruff is WAY too harsh on our players. Ruff needs to learn to accept mediocrity as our fans have and send out nothing but positive and uplifting messages to our players. Then he needs to powder their ###### and tell them how each of their heiney's are special and different from everybody elses.

Archived