OT: WSJ's Islanders erasing LaFontaine

Punch

LaFontaine will always be a Sabre to me...but then again, I don't have any personal memory of sports before 1990, soooooooo yea. I do find it amusing that the Isles owner is trying to paint LaFontaine as the bad guy, when they're the ones who fired a GM 40 days after hiring him. What a joke, and makes me wish Tavares never signed that extension--I'd hate to see him waste his prime years in that cesspool.

:o OUCH! Truth hurts.

That's really easy to do with Hawerchuk since up until this year his team didn't even exist. I sure as hell will never think of him as a Phoenix Coyote.

As for the story, all of this over an unpaid position. Pathetic. And the best part about those comments from Milbury? He resigned from his front office position with the Islanders a year later when he wasn't happy with it.

edit: And if I'm in an unpaid role when the backup goalie is pulled off the bench and made GM, I'd be out of there so fast too.

Did someone say "puppet"?

I wonder if NBC or TSN forced his apology? Sid is their Mickey Mouse, after all.

"Mike Milbury apologizes to Penguins, fans for Sidney Crosby comments""

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/mike-milbury-apologizes-penguins-fans-sidney-crosby-comments-163552336.html

I wonder if NBC or TSN forced his apology? Sid is their Mickey Mouse, after all.

"Mike Milbury apologizes to Penguins, fans for Sidney Crosby comments""

http://sports.yahoo....-163552336.html

More something like this:

Ring Ring

Hello this is Mike.

Hi Mike, Mr Bettman here. We have prepared a statement for you

"I reached out to David Morehouse and the Penguins about the comments I made yesterday on Philadelphia radio. In hindsight, I realize what I said was inappropriate and wrong, and I want to apologize to the Penguins organization and their fans."

Yes Mr Bettman.

Thanks Mike.

No. He takes the cake. He is a bigger douche than Cherry

There's no debate. I can at least find some credibility in Don Cherry for his involvement in hockey at all levels. Milbury is nothing more than NBC's Simon Cowell put on the air in a pathetic attempt to stir viewers into being interested in the broadcast.

I wouldn't accept bad words about LaFontaine.. he's a great NHL player. He's an Islander and a Sabre.

Ring Ring

Hello this is Mike.

"I reached out to David Morehouse and the Penguins about the comments I made yesterday on Philadelphia radio. In hindsight, I realize what I said was inappropriate and wrong, and I want to apologize to the Penguins organization and their fans."

Yes Mr Bettman.

Thanks Mike.

His statement certainly has the ring of a whipped lapdog. He needs to be neutered, once and for all.

There's no debate. I can at least find some credibility in Don Cherry for his involvement in hockey at all levels. Milbury is nothing more than NBC's Simon Cowell put on the air in a pathetic attempt to stir viewers into being interested in the broadcast.

I wouldn't accept bad words about LaFontaine.. he's a great NHL player. He's an Islander and a Sabre.

Cherry used to have a much more interesting take on the game from a technical standpoint. He's just sort of become a parody of himself in the past 10 years, but at 78 it was bound to happen. He spent most of pro career as a Rochester Amerk, FWIW, both as a player and a coach, so I always kind of looked at him as one of ours. Plus, when he coached the Colorado Rockies briefly he loved Rene Robert.

Ring Ring

Hello this is Mike.

Yes Mr Bettman.

Thanks Mike.

And then he headed back to Brookline to beat up the first 10 year old he could find.

I'm just waiting for the day that Milbury says something that gets him fired. I figure it's only a matter of time.

Millstone should have been fired with the "Sedin Sisters" comment IMO. Maybe the time he almost beat up that kid who was ragging on his son in a Massachusetts hockey game this winter....the list of controversies goes on and on...he's a chaos machine and it's not like he had a distinguished career as anything in particular, just a bigmouth who fought alot. Millstone and Jones look like Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble and are just about as knowledgeable... But he'll just keep opening that big fat yap of his until the network gets sued and then they'll fire him. He's a ticking time bomb.

Millstone should have been fired with the "Sedin Sisters" comment IMO. Maybe the time he almost beat up that kid who was ragging his son in a Massachusetts hockey game....the list goes on and on...he's a chaos machine. But he'll just keep opening that big fat yap of his until the network gets sued and then they'll fire him. He's a ticking time bomb.

All we need to do is get him drunk and put him in a car. I'll see if Barnaby has any tips.

Millstone should have been fired with the "Sedin Sisters" comment IMO. Maybe the time he almost beat up that kid who was ragging on his son in a Massachusetts hockey game this winter....the list of controversies goes on and on...he's a chaos machine and it's not like he had a distinguished career as anything in particular, just a bigmouth who fought alot. Millstone and Jones look like Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble and are just about as knowledgeable... But he'll just keep opening that big fat yap of his until the network gets sued and then they'll fire him. He's a ticking time bomb.

A Boston Bruins employee making anti-Vancouver comments during a national broadcast. I still have no idea how they let that fly... oh yeah, Vancouver's in Canada and they're not a part of NBC's viewing audience. I'm so sick of all these guys who try to be the next Don Cherry.

At least most of what Cherry says has some basis in truth (although over the last few years, he's trying to live up to the persona that has been created over the years). Milbury is just mean and crass. You know, maybe ol' Milsey had HIS bell rung once too often when he was a player - that's why he's such a crank now. I think NBC should put Milbury between the benches during the game and bring Pierre McGuire into the studio full time. He's not perfect, but he's miles better than Millstone...

At least most of what Cherry says has some basis in truth (although over the last few years, he's trying to live up to the persona that has been created over the years). Milbury is just mean and crass. You know, maybe ol' Milsey had HIS bell rung once too often when he was a player - that's why he's such a crank now. I think NBC should put Milbury between the benches during the game and bring Pierre McGuire into the studio full time. He's not perfect, but he's miles better than Millstone...

I think you're dead on there. Unfortunately they're trying to imitate the current version of Don Cherry who has lost more than a few marbles. And as for Milbury in between the benches, I would love to see that in hopes of a puck landing square in his jaw.

No doubt it would be entertaining (at a minimum in a trainwreck sort of way), but I'm not sure NBC's underwriters would be too pleased with the thought of having Milbury that close to taunting fans. Though it would be VERY entertaining watching him go into the crowd and beat somebody with HIS shoe.

No doubt it would be entertaining (at a minimum in a trainwreck sort of way), but I'm not sure NBC's underwriters would be too pleased with the thought of having Milbury that close to taunting fans. Though it would be VERY entertaining watching him go into the crowd and beat somebody with HIS shoe.

If Milbury were ever between the glass, if somebody buys me a ticket I'll take one for the team and instigate him into a fight to get him fired. Yes, I want him off TV that badly.

Having meet, skated with, and gotten on-ice intstruction from Patty LaLa at his summer hockey schools I can say he was one of the best sabres I've had the privilege to encounter. He was humble, engaging, highly knowledgable, and just plain awsome to learn from. To hear the way the Islanders are treating him is just sickening. All I can think is Sabres past ownership is suddenly not looking that bad.

I'm just waiting for the day that Milbury says something that gets him fired. I figure it's only a matter of time.

Before I pick the mote out of his eye, I'll admit that I still have a long ways to go with regard to introspection and watching what I say on here. Having said that, I wish he would do the same. Then again, it could also be said that he can't break out of his mold.

All we need to do is get him drunk and put him in a car. I'll see if Barnaby has any tips.

:o

As we would say in the trucking industry, "Dammit, driver!" as in "low blow."

Concerning Milbury, I am not sure there is a bigger douche in life ... Well, maybe Dick Cheney

Dick Cheney? I admit that I'm not a fan of his, but DC has nothing on this guy. Not even close. I know this is way out of line, but it makes me wonder if he owns stock in Massengill.

If Milbury were ever between the glass, if somebody buys me a ticket I'll take one for the team and instigate him into a fight to get him fired. Yes, I want him off TV that badly.

I'll throw a few bucks into that pot.

Perhaps we raffle off the opportunity? There's more than one person who wants to take him out.

Good idea. Sell tickets at $10 a pop and for the grand prize you get to pick who gets to goad Milbury into a fight and get him kicked off TV. I like it.

Wang's Islanders are unbelievably low rent in the class dept. It figures Milbury, of all people, would go to bat for Wang, but Patty is "cowardly"? Milbury is to hockey analysis what Wang is to hockey ownership. And they're both clowns.

http://online.wsj.co...le_NHLHeadlines

Wow. Holy hell. Wang truly is a douchebag.

Hey Wang!

Ni mama hao sho yang sheng ya kei lei! :ph34r:

Dick Cheney? I admit that I'm not a fan of his, but DC has nothing on this guy. Not even close. I know this is way out of line, but it makes me wonder if he owns stock in Massengill.

Let's just say any political entertainer (which is what all these guys are) automatically qualify.

Archived