OT: WSJ's Islanders erasing LaFontaine

Punch

There's no debate. I can at least find some credibility in Don Cherry for his involvement in hockey at all levels. Milbury is nothing more than NBC's Simon Cowell put on the air in a pathetic attempt to stir viewers into being interested in the broadcast.
Cherry used to have a much more interesting take on the game from a technical standpoint. He's just sort of become a parody of himself in the past 10 years, but at 78 it was bound to happen.
At least most of what Cherry says has some basis in truth (although over the last few years, he's trying to live up to the persona that has been created over the years). Milbury is just mean and crass.
I think you're dead on there. Unfortunately they're trying to imitate the current version of Don Cherry who has lost more than a few marbles. And as for Milbury in between the benches, I would love to see that in hopes of a puck landing square in his jaw.

i concur with what appears above. i have a genuine affection for the man they call grapes. as many have said over the years, you love (or can love) cherry like you love your crazy, loud-mouthed, highly-opinionated, slightly-bigoted, xenophobic, big-hearted, oft-drunken uncle.

and, yes, cherry has become a parody of himself. but then again, so has our own beloved RJ, IMHO.

but milbury. that guy is just an uninteresting low-life. LTS's call is spot on. milbury brings nothing, adds nothing, and has zero credibility.

i concur with what appears above. i have a genuine affection for the man they call grapes. as many have said over the years, you love (or can love) cherry like you love your crazy, loud-mouthed, highly-opinionated, slightly-bigoted, xenophobic, big-hearted, oft-drunken uncle.

and, yes, cherry has become a parody of himself. but then again, so has our own beloved RJ, IMHO.

but milbury. that guy is just an uninteresting low-life. LTS's call is spot on. milbury brings nothing, adds nothing, and has zero credibility.

Agreed on all points. IMO I thought it was disgusting to see Milbury at the first Winter Classic at the Ralph. I was really excited for the game itself until I saw his ugly mug there interacting with some people near the ice.

Agreed on all points. IMO I thought it was disgusting to see Milbury at the first Winter Classic at the Ralph. I was really excited for the game itself until I saw his ugly mug there interacting with some people near the ice.

Why would you let 1 idiot being at the game ruin your enjoyment of it?

That game was definitely in the top 5 games I've ever been at from a pure enjoyment standpoint. Though one of the coolest things about that game was my wife's sister in law calling her (from near Minnesota) during the game to tell her it was snowing at the game. My wife's response was 'yeah, I know, I'm kind of getting snowed on.'

Even if I couldn't have been at that game, it still would have been incredible to watch knowing that MY Buffalo Sabres hosted the 1st ever NHL outdoor game in the good ol' USofA.

Why would you let 1 idiot being at the game ruin your enjoyment of it?

That game was definitely in the top 5 games I've ever been at from a pure enjoyment standpoint. Though one of the coolest things about that game was my wife's sister in law calling her (from near Minnesota) during the game to tell her it was snowing at the game. My wife's response was 'yeah, I know, I'm kind of getting snowed on.'

Even if I couldn't have been at that game, it still would have been incredible to watch knowing that MY Buffalo Sabres hosted the 1st ever NHL outdoor game in the good ol' USofA.

Being there in person does pretty much cancel out the chance of complaining about seeing Milbury though. I don't know what that broadcast was like, but there's no way it could have caught the true feeling of that game. It seemed like the snow stopped during any commercial break or the intermissions. That's something that could never get across for tv.

And by the way, it was the second outdoor NHL game in the USA.

Being there in person does pretty much cancel out the chance of complaining about seeing Milbury though. I don't know what that broadcast was like, but there's no way it could have caught the true feeling of that game. It seemed like the snow stopped during any commercial break or the intermissions. That's something that could never get across for tv.

And by the way, it was the second outdoor NHL game in the USA.

It did stop snowing at intermissions which was cool. It was like the game was being played in a snow globe that got shaken every time the puck dropped to start a period.

And exhibition games don't count.

Archived