Mystery of the Buffaslug: Solved.

Robviously

The designer of the Buffaslug has come out of hiding and is talking about what went wrong. As completely horrible as that logo was, the designer comes off like a really cool guy.

http://boards.sports...onceptual-work/

Here are some rejected concepts:

http://bazeiskpbl.com/work/buffalo-sabres-logo-concepts/

sabres_concepts.jpg

OK, most of the concepts are even worse than what we ended up with. There are a couple versions where the Slug has actual legs (towards the top right) and it actually manages to look more like a mammal than a slug.

But then you look at the bottom right and there are versions where it has sharp, pointy legs like an insect -- which is somehow even more disturbing than just being a slug. I'm wondering if this artist has ever actually seen a picture of a buffalo.

The designer of the Buffaslug has come out of hiding and is talking about what went wrong. As completely horrible as that logo was, the designer comes off like a really cool guy.

sabres_concepts.jpg

OK, most of the concepts are even worse than what we ended up with. There are a couple versions where the Slug has actual legs (towards the top right) and it actually manages to look more like a mammal than a slug.

But then you look at the bottom right and there are versions where it has sharp, pointy legs like an insect -- which is somehow even more disturbing than just being a slug. I'm wondering if this artist has ever actually seen a picture of a buffalo.

Wow, 3 things strike me looking at those concepts and reading the thread discussing them w/ the artist.

1. The designer has a very thick skin and seems to be a good guy.

2. There were some concepts that were even worse than what they ended up with.

3. Something built along the lines of the shield w/ the crossed swords and a buffalo head could have been made to look reasonable / good. Too bad they didn't try to follow that course if they had to have an 'updated' b&g logo.

Wow, 3 things strike me looking at those concepts and reading the thread discussing them w/ the artist.

1. The designer has a very thick skin and seems to be a good guy.

2. There were some concepts that were even worse than what they ended up with.

3. Something built along the lines of the shield w/ the crossed swords and a buffalo head could have been made to look reasonable / good. Too bad they didn't try to follow that course if they had to have an 'updated' b&g logo.

There were a few sketches in the thread linked to in the OP that weren't too bad, and that are along the lines of your no. 3.

Oof! Well, it certainly sounds Quinn-like that they hired a guy just starting out in the business - I'm sure they saved a few bucks there. It's refreshing to see that the designer took responsibility for what could be the ugliest logo in NHL history (and that he has admittedly improved a lot). Jeez, I'm glad they got the traditional logo back!

God, how did they manage to pick the worst of that awful bunch.

I firmly believe the people involved in this project were experiencing full blown tunnel vision. They were so wrapped up in designing a new logo based on the slug prototype they didn't take any time to come up with some alternatives.

A little perspective could have prevented the whole shiticane.

http://bazeiskpbl.co...-logo-concepts/

sabres_concepts.jpg

how did you find this?

One guy in that thread mentions how awesome the concepts at the bottom right are. The ones that have a buffalo with legs and crossed swords. Just because they are marginally better than the slug does not make them anywhere near good.

The insect leg versions are still terrible. And the buffalo and sabres within the logo circle are oddly out of proportion with one another. It's like they just wanted to re-do the original logo because they had to do something new. Change for the sake of change resulting in a big downgrade.

Archived