Mystery of the Buffaslug: Solved.

Robviously

One guy in that thread mentions how awesome the concepts at the bottom right are. The ones that have a buffalo with legs and crossed swords. Just because they are marginally better than the slug does not make them anywhere near good.

And they're a blatant rip off of the talkin' proud buffalo. They would have never run with that logo for that reason alone.

how did you find this?

Saw it floating around the twitter universe yesterday morning.

Greg Wyshynski@wyshynski

Nice find by @scottywazz - the other concepts that lost to the Buffaslug. bit.ly/yf1PZQ #sabres

Chris Creamer@sportslogosnet

@wyshynski @scottywazz Should've linked to the original forum thread, get me some traffic :) boards.sportslogos.net/topic/86345-bu…

Is that guy definitely legit? His explanation of the red eye is incredibly weak and uninformed.

I thought it was another guy that tried to offer the explanation?

yeah, me too. I think the original logos had red eyes from time to time. Anyone have that great picture of several of the old sweaters that showed the logo varied from year to year?

yeah, me too. I think the original logos had red eyes from time to time. Anyone have that great picture of several of the old sweaters that showed the logo varied from year to year?

Didn't the AGH have the yin-and-yang in the middle of the eye?

Didn't the AGH have the yin-and-yang in the middle of the eye?

Yes, it had the yin and yang in the center of a red eye. I remember noticing it immediately when I got my first Goathead jersey.

Picture:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=28

how did you find this?

I'm a logo/uniform nerd so I check out Chris Creamer's page and Paul Lukas' page pretty often. I just caught it yesterday and brought it over here.

So.....like I was saying......the Buffaslug was really underrated and was actually pretty cool when you think about it........

Yes, it had the yin and yang in the center of a red eye. I remember noticing it immediately when I got my first Goathead jersey. Picture: http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=28

Check out the comments section there and all the folks yearning for the goathead and how awesome it is / was. The slug logo guy was correct about one thing, you can NEVER make everyone happy.

Check out the comments section there and all the folks yearning for the goathead and how awesome it is / was. The slug logo guy was correct about one thing, you can NEVER make everyone happy.

And I remember seeing a few posts that weren't too crazy about the original logo. So there's more fuel to your fire.

The message board there is also full of people who call our original/current logo "horribly outdated." I'm not sure why. It's a classic and would look good in any decade of hockey. The worst thing you can say about a logo is that you can tell when it was designed just from looking at it. A lot of 80's logos look a certain way and a lot of 90s logos look a certain way. The best logos look timeless, like ours.

The message board there is also full of people who call our original/current logo "horribly outdated." I'm not sure why. It's a classic and would look good in any decade of hockey. The worst thing you can say about a logo is that you can tell when it was designed just from looking at it. A lot of 80's logos look a certain way and a lot of 90s logos look a certain way. The best logos look timeless, like ours.

Like those streaking profile views of the 90s? I was always amazed by how just about everyone went to one of those, us included.

The timeless logo thing is great. That's the one thing the Northeast division really has going for it right now. If it wasn't for Ottawa, everything would be perfect. Classic circular crest style logos with no attempts at crazy modern stylization. Actually, looking across the league right now, so many teams do seem to have it right, but there are a few that stick out like a sore thumb.

Like those streaking profile views of the 90s? I was always amazed by how just about everyone went to one of those, us included.

The 90's were big on everyone adopting black as their team color, and the 2000's were big on teams adopting navy blue. The Sabres followed both trends unfortunately.

The timeless logo thing is great. That's the one thing the Northeast division really has going for it right now. If it wasn't for Ottawa, everything would be perfect. Classic circular crest style logos with no attempts at crazy modern stylization. Actually, looking across the league right now, so many teams do seem to have it right, but there are a few that stick out like a sore thumb.

Ottawa's uniforms were great just a few years ago. If they dust this baby off: http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=152 our division is perfect in terms of logos.

The updated logo the Sabres are using is still a little busy for me. They put silver outlines around EVERYTHING. The buffalo, the swords, the two motion lines around the buffalo, the outside of the logo, and the inside of the circle (i.e. both sides of the yellow outline). They went way overboard there. Also, they really need to switch back to royal blue at some point. Their navy blue is so dark that it's barely distinguishable from black. The last thing on my wish list is that they add a yellow-B-with-a-sword-through-it alternate logo to the shoulders. They had some version of that during the Goathead and Slug years and it would tie the entire team's history together if they had it now. NOTE: these are all small changes and wouldn't force everyone in town to go out and buy new stuff.

The 90's were big on everyone adopting black as their team color, and the 2000's were big on teams adopting navy blue. The Sabres followed both trends unfortunately.

Ottawa's uniforms were great just a few years ago. If they dust this baby off: http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=152 our division is perfect in terms of logos.

The updated logo the Sabres are using is still a little busy for me. They put silver outlines around EVERYTHING. The buffalo, the swords, the two motion lines around the buffalo, the outside of the logo, and the inside of the circle (i.e. both sides of the yellow outline). They went way overboard there. Also, they really need to switch back to royal blue at some point. Their navy blue is so dark that it's barely distinguishable from black. The last thing on my wish list is that they add a yellow-B-with-a-sword-through-it alternate logo to the shoulders. They had some version of that during the Goathead and Slug years and it would tie the entire team's history together if they had it now. NOTE: these are all small changes and wouldn't force everyone in town to go out and buy new stuff.

I like the old Sens logo. Their refresh is like the Gorton's Fisherman all over again.

Archived