GDT: Buffalo vs. Carolina (3/7/2012, 7:00pm)

Corp000085

Honestly, Koziol has surpassed Riter in the sense that he understands the game much better. With Riter it felt like you were sitting it's a friend at a bar talking Sabres, which was cool. They both interact with Paul Hamilon exceptionally.

Brian Duff was a host on NHL Network before he joined the Sabres broadcast. I heard an interview with Schopp and The Bulldog sometime last year and apparently Duff grew up in Southern Ontario as a lifelong Sabres fan. He was riffing on some pretty obscure Sabres trivia and history. Once upon a time the Knoxes were able to attract Ted Darling away from intermission host on Hockey Night in Canada. I'd love Duff take a stab at PBP but he's the perfect intermission host.

Duff needs to be national somewhere....he is just such a pro. If ESPN ever got hockey, they would be all over him. He's such a polished, classical feel, yet you don't feel 1 bit of phony out of him. I like him even more after listening to him on GR, deadline day. He's selfless too. Can look like a wiseguy, but instead dishes off the points. Probably the best talent in the entire franchise.

Interesting.

As for the game tonight:

- I thought they had much more jump and created many more scoring chances than they've done in the past few games.

- Myers was a beast.

- Very ugly goal that Miller gave up to Pidgeon, but he played well in the 3rd.

- Once again, good zone time and a good number of chances for Hodgy-Ennis-Stafford, but no finish.

- Sulzer has acquitted himself reasonably well in the 2 games he's played.

- I would play Enroth tomorrow night in Boston.

- Either way, I'll be interested to see if the fragile little children reappear in light of their having to play back-to-back and travel. It's a built-in excuse for those inclined to rely on it.

- Toronto gave up a lead and lost in regulation tonight. In addition, Lupul is out for a month. The Leafs are done. I would also predict that the Capitals will run for the bus and that goaltending will be Tampa's undoing. So I think it will probably come down to the Sabres and Winnipeg for that #8 slot.

- Vanek in particular had a lot of jump tonight. If he keeps that up he will start scoring regularly -- and the Sabres just might do it.

- Winnipeg is at Vancouver tomorrow night, while TB plays Washington. If the Sabres beat Boston, Winnipeg loses in regulation to Vancouver and TB beats Washington in regulation, the Sabres will be in #8.

Nice summary.

Question about Enroth in Boston, if we don't put Miller in at Boston doesn't that send a message that we're protecting him from the big bad Bruins? Something they could capitalise on? I'm not sure, hence asking.

Duff needs to be national somewhere....he is just such a pro. If ESPN ever got hockey, they would be all over him. He's such a polished, classical feel, yet you don't feel 1 bit of phony out of him. I like him even more after listening to him on GR, deadline day. He's selfless too. Can look like a wiseguy, but instead dishes off the points. Probably the best talent in the entire franchise.

i guess you don't get the NHL Network.......he Anchors the highlight show.

Is there any reason that all pro athletes don't get flu shots? I know they aren't 100%, but it can't possibly hurt with all that travel.

My bet is the team is calling the illness "the flu" but I doubt it is "influenza", the respiratory virus. That ###### kicks your ass for a good solid week. More likely it is the misnamed "stomach flu".

Andrej, clean up your countertop and wash your hands after handling raw chicken.

Is there any reason that all pro athletes don't get flu shots? I know they aren't 100%, but it can't possibly hurt with all that travel.
My bet is the team is calling the illness "the flu" but I doubt it is "influenza", the respiratory virus. That ###### kicks your ass for a good solid week. More likely it is the misnamed "stomach flu".

what weave said. people use the term "flu" to refer to what a clinician will term an "upper/lower GI virus."

Andrej, clean up your countertop and wash your hands after handling raw chicken.

ha!

i once read that food-borne bacteria are actually responsible for a lot of what appears to be a GI virus.

what weave said. people use the term "flu" to refer to what a clinician will term an "upper/lower GI virus."

I cannot source this quote, but one of the commentators who used to be a player several decades ago said the "flu" scratch was very often a "hangover" scratch.

I cannot source this quote, but one of the commentators who used to be a player several decades ago said the "flu" scratch was very often a "hangover" scratch.

That was back in the day when they drank beer after the game in the room. And according to Mike Keenan half the team in Chicago would go out to the hallway between periods to smoke. Before he put a stop to it.

That was back in the day when they drank beer after the game in the room. And according to Mike Keenan half the team in Chicago would go out to the hallway between periods to smoke. Before he put a stop to it.

I can't remember if it was in one of Punch Imlach's autobiographies or the "Rico said to Perreault" book but apparently Tim Horton would keep beer under the bench and drink during stoppages. I think it also said Gilbert was a pretty big chain smoker during commercial time outs, too.

what weave said. people use the term "flu" to refer to what a clinician will term an "upper/lower GI virus." ha! i once read that food-borne bacteria are actually responsible for a lot of what appears to be a GI virus.

Absolutely, camplylobacter being far more prevelant than salmonella. e. coli and listeria combined. As far as the flu, I tell people that all the time that say the have the flu when they really just have a GI bug or a simple cold. If you've ever truly had influenza you feel like you want to die, and the only way to know for sure thats what you have is to get a flu lateral flow strip postive test at your doctors office.

Weave beat me to it, but I was going to say I'm not sure the flu shot covers the GI version ("stomach flu"), and apparently norovirus is really going around right now, too.

http://yourlife.usat...-now/53211908/1

If you've ever truly had influenza you feel like you want to die, and the only way to know for sure thats what you have is to get a flu lateral flow strip postive test at your doctors office.

right you are.

i am pretty sure i had a touch of that so-called swine flu back in -- what was it, 2009? maybe it was 2010. it was in/around april, for sure. glad i had my flu shot(s) that season, because i felt like complete and total death with what i had. couldn't hardly breathe at its worst. i can see how that sh!t is lethal to people with compromised immune systems.

right you are.

i am pretty sure i had a touch of that so-called swine flu back in -- what was it, 2009? maybe it was 2010. it was in/around april, for sure. glad i had my flu shot(s) that season, because i felt like complete and total death with what i had. couldn't hardly breathe at its worst. i can see how that sh!t is lethal to people with compromised immune systems.

Yes, thats why you always hear how it's so important for infants and the elderly to get their shots every year. In fact, I worked on a project a few years ago with the goal of increasing the immunogenicity of the standard flu vaccine for these populations. And now I'm working on a food pathogen project, time to get in the lab and work with some listeria!

Archived