GDT: Sabres at Canucks 3/03/12 10:00PM

spndnchz

What a win, I didn't expect this outcome at all. I still can't commit to getting my play off hopes up, the disappointment of falling just short would hurt more than being a few points out, but there getting there. Great game by the Leino line, they applied a lot of pressure, as did the Hodgson line, but that's becoming a given. I thought Sulzer had a good debut as a Sabre, I would of liked to see Hodgson score against his old team, but still his line had another good game. Miller again was on top of his game, I noticed the last couple of games that there's this little celebration thing that he and Ennis do, Ennis is the last one to congratulate him after wins.

Really liked Leino's game. It felt like he was out there a ton, but I checked and he only had 13:52 of ice time. Conclusion: if a guy is really noticeable with such little ice time, he had a hell of a game.

But to do that you would need to flip Stafford to LW and put him with Roy and Pommer

Fair enough. Ultimately though I think getting Vanek going has to be a top priority for this team to sustain success.

Between the D barely holding it together when the rest of the team looks like a train wreck, and Miller playing up to his billing, it amazes me they win games like this. In a series I think Vancouver would school the Sabres - the latter did not look like a team able to go past the second round of the playoffs, let alone the first. But it's nice that they're winning now. It would suck if we were Montreal fans.

R.J. used to do the lalalalalalalalaallalafontaaaiiine!!! I think when Hodgson scores when R.J. is back he should just pause and say, "Cody HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHODGSOOOON!!!" ok, yeah that was kinda random and weird.... it's late...

Wouldn't that just be laughter? :lol:

-Great game tonight. When Ville Leino scores two goals every game for the rest of this season, his contract will look like a bargain.

-Lindy loves juggling lines and he did not juggle the Vanek line? I would have put Leino in between Pommer and Vanek for the third period.

-They hung on to a lead against one of the best teams in the league. It shows that maybe there is a tiny little sliver of mental toughness on this roster.

-That second period was something else...

-Lindy loves juggling lines and he did not juggle the Vanek line? I would have put Leino in between Pommer and Vanek for the third period.

I don't think the lines changed at all tonight, did they?

Between the D barely holding it together when the rest of the team looks like a train wreck, and Miller playing up to his billing, it amazes me they win games like this. In a series I think Vancouver would school the Sabres - the latter did not look like a team able to go past the second round of the playoffs, let alone the first. But it's nice that they're winning now. It would suck if we were Montreal fans.

Well, it certainly beats an unwatchable product like we had for November-January. I thought tonight was pretty even outside of the second period. Obviously I don't think we could beat them in a 7 game series, but, I think it was more competitive than the last couple of games.

I was amazed and pleased at the number of times Vancouver looked like they were going to get a good scoring chance, only to have a Buffalo player disrupt the play with a stick on the puck. They're finally playing with the desperation they need.

I know the last three games, the Sabres were just hanging on in the latter stages of the game, but I much prefer that to trying to catch up at the end of the game. The big thing in all three games has been their ability to protect a lead. The first two games they did it with some great saves by Miller. Tonight, Miller did his part, but the Sabres answered Vancouver goals with goals of their own. That was key.

The Ennis goal at the end once again demonstrated his skill level. That wasn't a slam-dunk pass. He was able to flag it down and catch up to it. It's so noticeable that Ennis, and also Gerbe, never give up on a play. Pursue, pursue, pursue. Love it. Ellis also had a great game.

I was ready for the let down game, but they continued to hustle. When they skate hard, they win, it's that simple.

I agree with the rest of the crowd: Time to break up the so-called first line.

No, they didn't. I was just wondering why Lindy let such an ineffective line stay together when we all know he's not afraid to change things up.

My guess is because every other line was doing well. But still, he can't possibly leave that line together much (if any) longer.

My guess is because every other line was doing well. But still, he can't possibly leave that line together much (if any) longer.

I think that Roy could play the checking line no problem. The real reason I would've liked to see that is because putting Leino in between Vanek and Pommer increases his chances of a hatter, too. That kind of thing can really get a guy going.

No, they didn't. I was just wondering why Lindy let such an ineffective line stay together when we all know he's not afraid to change things up.

The way they were playing, I think he made a rare, measured decision on the bench and left the lines alone. They're going to have to do something, but it's going be tough to break up lines that are working.

He can't break up the Leino line - they were really hot.

After watching Kassian almost take Ennis head off on a missed hit and seeing him come from half way cross the ice to plaster that sabre in buffaloes end as the clock ticked down I'm wondering how long before the league starts to neutralize him as they've tried to do with Kaleta.

The way they were playing, I think he made a rare, measured decision on the bench and left the lines alone. They're going to have to do something, but it's going be tough to break up lines that are working.

He can't break up the Leino line - they were really hot.

This is definitely a good point, and the Sabres DID win. I just think that putting a guy who's scored two goals on a docile line might've given them a much needed spark. I also see how Gerbe and Kaleta might've had trouble switching from Leino to Roy, but I still would've done it.

After watching Kassian almost take Ennis head off on a missed hit and seeing him come from half way cross the ice to plaster that sabre in buffaloes end as the clock ticked down I'm wondering how long before the league starts to neutralize him as they've tried to do with Kaleta.

All it'll take is a few connections on those kinds of hits. I also wouldn't rule out the possibility that he was playing that way because it was the Sabres...I have no idea if his hits in his other Vancouver games have been anything like that.

I thought either Booth or Leino could have taken the 1st star but they are still trying to justify the trade in Vancouver to a somewhat unhappy fanbase. That being said both Kassian and Grags had pretty good games.

According to HNIC, Leino was 1st, Booth 2nd, and Kassian 3rd.

GO SABRES!!!

I only saw the third period like the last two games, but i liked what i saw. Finally we get some really good secondary scoring.

What a game by Leino! Wow two goals from him and another one from Boyes. They forced Vancouver to pull Luongo! Who would have believed this yesterday?

This scoring is what we believed will happen this season after being asked in October 2011.

The first star for a looser? Nah you can't do it. ( edit i just saw the post above, they didn't)

It should have been Leino!

What we really did good was to limit the first scoring lines from Vancouver. The Sedins did not do much. Apparently the Kesler line was effective with three goals.

Ok the next game will be huge and i bet the arena in Winnipeg will not be as silent as the arena in Vancouver.

This will be interesting how our team will react to play against a contender in the playoff race which, will fight to win this game at home with everything it got.

That was Ellis.

Kaleta earned a reputation as a faker. That's why the refs cut him no slack. The yipping, the turtles, the head tosses. I think the majority of refs appreciate a clean physical game. i agree he almost got Ennis and Tropp up high.

Fun game. Kassian did well, 7 hits to 2 hits for entire Sabres forwards....MAG got ice time, and Sabres won.

Big breakout game for them....just went in my opinion from 7-10% of making playoffs to closer to 30%.

Archived