Ron Wilson Fired

wonderbread

Interesting move by the Leafs. Trying to prevent this season from becoming a total disaster?

"Becoming a disaster"? The Leafs are just an embarrassment. How does an original 6 team manage to miss the playoffs 7 years in a row and still sell out the building? :huh:

This is just hiring a new captain for the Titanic.....

It's now or never for them. Burke's gonna take sh!t for extending him. If they continued to dive, they were both gone anyway. They've played too well before that to have an excuse for this. Now if you turn it around, you double down on a spark to go further.

When Burke turns over his ring and is in Toronto for another 11 years with nothing to show for it.....I will gladly say so. If this doesn't work, he's probably gone in a month. That's the life when you take risks for a living.

We have a few Leafs fans on another (non-hockey) board that like to complain about & put down the Sedins, always good for a laugh. :rolleyes:

(The Leafs have gotten just so many awards in the last 45 years)

The train wreck in T.O. just keeps rolling...

Lindy Ruff is a better coach than Ron Wilson and has done it with far lesser teams and without being handcuffed by a bankruptcy and a front office that was only looking at cost

Give it up. Some people just love to hate. Give 'em a million dollars and they'd bitch about the way you gave it to them.

yeah the coaching is the problem with the leafs;)

That's why they hired Carlyle. Because coaching never was a problem with the Ducks...

how is that apples and oranges???? it is comparing the SAME EXACT THING! He is an average coach and Lindy is better than him

Yep

I don't hate on the Leafs like some here. Hockey needs Toronto. Just like baseball needs the Red Sox/Yankees; football needs the Cowboys and basketball needs the Lakers/Celtics. Not one of those teams is my favorite, but they all make the sports they play in electrifying/compelling.

Because when anyone talks about the greatest to ever play the game, the name Olaf Kolzig is one of the first to roll off of the tongue. ;)

The guy was the second-best goalie in the league for a long time. And he did win a Vezina. (For eight years, I believe--too hurried to look it up--the Vezina was won either by a Buffalo player or a Washington player (Carrey and Kolzig).)

The guy was the second-best goalie in the league for a long time. And he did win a Vezina. (For eight years, I believe--too hurried to look it up--the Vezina was won either by a Buffalo player or a Washington player (Carrey and Kolzig).)

There you go.

I have 150 of his rookie cards. How much would you like to offer me for them? I'm serious. My Darcy Regier moment was plugging all my profits from sports cards, back into sports cards. Then again, I was 13.....but, let me know. You seem to be pretty high on him. I actually think he is in an airbrushed Amerks jersey.

I love how Burke tosses Wilson overboard because Burke himself was completely incapable of finding a goaltender. Oh, and did nothing at the deadline to even attempt to spark the team. I expect a GoDD post lambasting Burke for being a survivor, a weasel, and doing whatever it takes to save his own job.

Burke had a goalie in Rask.

which coach had a front office that got him joe thornton to ride for four years and still couldnt get past the second round?

Which coach owes most of his success to Hasek? If the Sabres miss the playoffs again this year it makes it 6 out 10 years post Hasek.

yeah the coaching is the problem with the leafs;)

Burke is the shining example Bucky Gleason likes to cite when he's dumping on Darcy Regier. Hey Buck, hate to burst your bubble but maybe Burke is not god's gift to the hockey front office either. Darcy's strategy of "overvauling his players" worked out. What was Burke's plan? Sit with his thumb up his rear and toss his coach overboard?

PTR

Burke is the shining example Bucky Gleason likes to cite when he's dumping on Darcy Regier. Hey Buck, hate to burst your bubble but maybe Burke is not god's gift to the hockey front office either. Darcy's strategy of "overvauling his players" worked out. What was Burke's plan? Sit with his thumb up his rear and toss his coach overboard?

PTR

Who knew GM's were allowed to actually evaluate their coaches and make changes when it doesn't seem to be working. Of course that is not a s good a plan as hanging on to the same guy to achieve 15 years mediocrity.

That has to be the creepiest avatar I have ever seen. Darcy looks like Chris Hansen just walked into the room asking Darcy what's in the brown paper bag.

Neither of them have a Cup to their name, so who cares?

The Leafs now have a coach that has won a Cup. Will be interesting to see if Carlyle can right the ship over the final 18 games.

Who knew GM's were allowed to actually evaluate their coaches and make changes when it doesn't seem to be working. Of course that is not a s good a plan as hanging on to the same guy to achieve 15 years mediocrity.

That has to be the creepiest avatar I have ever seen. Darcy looks like Chris Hansen just walked into the room asking Darcy what's in the brown paper bag.

The Leafs now have a coach that has won a Cup. Will be interesting to see if Carlyle can right the ship over the final 18 games.

Agreed, it should be interesting.

Which coach owes most of his success to Hasek? If the Sabres miss the playoffs again this year it makes it 6 out 10 years post Hasek.

Coaches shouldn't be debited for having great players. It's a dialectical argument regarding who makes whom great and nobody really knows the answer. Phil Jackson had Kobe and MJ, but Kobe and MJ had Phil Jackson too.

Not saying this is the case, but one could also say ... who knew GM's were allowed to cover their own failings by making the coach the scapegoat. The bigger problem here in Buffalo is that when things go badly, even over a long stretch, nobody says "OK, Darcy, is the problem you or Lindy? Pick one." Darcy likes the ambiguity (perhaps Lindy does, too) of "as long as we're both still together, you can't prove which is the problem, so you can't fire either of us."

18 games is not enough to prove a coach has righted a ship. They might get a short-term bump from either the players liking the coach more or the coach giving them more freedom (which might help in the short-run, but might not be a sustainable strategy over the long-haul, especially when you consider the playoffs), etc., but much of the coaches job and influence takes longer to really affect a team.

There you go.

I have 150 of his rookie cards. How much would you like to offer me for them? I'm serious. My Darcy Regier moment was plugging all my profits from sports cards, back into sports cards. Then again, I was 13.....but, let me know. You seem to be pretty high on him. I actually think he is in an airbrushed Amerks jersey.

huh?

Archived