Ron Wilson Fired

wonderbread

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

Randy Carlyle is expected to be Wilson's replacement but if there are any complications on that front, Dallas Eakins is next in line.

Jeff Marek@JeffMarek

Just confirmed by @damospin it will be Randy Carlyle behind the Leafs bench tomorrow.

Kevin Snow@kwsnow

Make it .. 171 coaching changes in the NHL since Lindy Ruff was hired by Buffalo in July 1997.

Randy Carlyle is expected to be Wilson's replacement but if there are any complications on that front, Dallas Eakins is next in line.

Jeff Marek@JeffMarek

Just confirmed by @damospin it will be Randy Carlyle behind the Leafs bench tomorrow.

Kevin Snow@kwsnow

Make it .. 171 coaching changes in the NHL since Lindy Ruff was hired by Buffalo in July 1997.

Interesting move by the Leafs. Trying to prevent this season from becoming a total disaster?

I love how Burke tosses Wilson overboard because Burke himself was completely incapable of finding a goaltender. Oh, and did nothing at the deadline to even attempt to spark the team. I expect a GoDD post lambasting Burke for being a survivor, a weasel, and doing whatever it takes to save his own job.

I love how Burke tosses Wilson overboard because Burke himself was completely incapable of finding a goaltender. Oh, and did nothing at the deadline to even attempt to spark the team. I expect a GoDD post lambasting Burke for being a survivor, a weasel, and doing whatever it takes to save his own job.

You probably won't get what you expect.

Toronto, if they can string together 2 wins in a row, I wouldn't be shocked to see them win 5 of 6 or better. I don't see them just playing .500 here out. 75% they turn it around and make a run, 25% they go into utter collapse and everyone gets fired..

It's now or never for them. Burke's gonna take sh!t for extending him. If they continued to dive, they were both gone anyway. They've played too well before that to have an excuse for this. Now if you turn it around, you double down on a spark to go further.

When Burke turns over his ring and is in Toronto for another 11 years with nothing to show for it.....I will gladly say so. If this doesn't work, he's probably gone in a month. That's the life when you take risks for a living.

Jeff Marek@JeffMarek

Kevin Snow@kwsnow

Why would the Sabres PR brag about the coaching number? It's a joke.

Ron Wilson has been to just as many Cups since Lindy was hired, but now has been fired for the 3rd time since then. That's what happens when teams hold their structure accountable

Jeff Marek@JeffMarek

Kevin Snow@kwsnow

Rats. I was hoping Wilson would stay there as long as Burke. :(

based on what?

also, my parents went to a massive party this summer and derek was there with them and he didnt have a drink the whole time. his brother had a normal amount, but derek was fine.

i love how dedicated sabres fans are....we are an awesome breed of fan....but who are we to judge these guys? we dont know what it is like to put forth that kind of INTENSE effort day in and day out. i love my job, but there is no way i give 100% all the time and my job is a breeze. even if i was being paid millions it would not change. if derek is a cancer, or a bad influence, then i am going to go ahead and trust that he is removed from duty in the near future by the staff. give the guy a break though....there seems to be nothing that he can do to please us. it is not his fault that he didnt grow into a 6'5" demon on skates. he is a good player and i think he does back check well, and he does show effort...and he is CHEAP! blah blah blah...sorry for the rant.

go sabres....really looking forward to next year!

The point wasn't to state that Roy keeps the players out all night, it was to state that just because the players think he's a great guy doesn't mean that he shouldn't be gone.

As for the rest of your rant, who gives a ###### whether he's 5'9" or 6'5"? Chris Gratton and Mike Wilson were huge (well, Wilson was freakishly tall if not 'huge') and were worthless. Danny Gare, Mike Peca, and Donald Audette had far more heart than Roy will likely ever demonstrate.

The plain and simple reality is players do not elevate their game when they are on his line. Rather, they seem to elevate their game when they finally escape being on his line. That is why I want him gone from this squad. That he probably has value in the eyes of opposing GM's just makes that move make all that much more sense.

And kind of off topic, but I feel sorry for you if you truly 'don't know what it is like to put forth that kind of INTENSE effort day in and day out.' Most people don't have jobs that require the physical effort that a professional athlete puts in, but if you're just going through the motions through your meager allotment of 22,000 days (hopfully it's more like 33,000 but that's still meager in the grand scheme of things) then you need to find new vocations and avocations. And if you don't want to read peoples judgments about the Sabres, don't go reading posts on a Sabres' forum.

From the TSN article:

"Chants of 'Fire Wilson!' echoed through Air Canada Centre when the Maple Leafs fell 5-3 to the Florida Panthers on (Tuesday) Feb. 28."

Is that all it takes? Really? Well...

Why would the Sabres PR brag about the coaching number? It's a joke.

Ron Wilson has been to just as many Cups since Lindy was hired, but now has been fired for the 3rd time since then. That's what happens when teams hold their structure accountable

ron wilson has taken a team to the playoffs 8 times in 18 years.... lindy has done the same but in 13 years, there is a huge difference

ron wilson has taken a team to the playoffs 8 times in 18 years.... lindy has done the same but in 13 years, there is a huge difference

And was fired 4 times!

And has won 5 playoff series in 7 years to Ruff's 10 years....

You guys don't get it. So worried about tapdancing on someone's grave to feel better about our own mediocrity, yet our own crew's grave should have been dug and covered multiple times by now.

For as much as I like Burke....look what I wrote today. If the Leafs continued their swoon....he and Wilson needed and were assumed to be fired. If you don't produce over time, you need to go. Now as a gamble, he picks up possibly the best coaching candidate out there before the offseason, reunites with someone who he won a Stanley Cup with, and has a chance to inject some juice to save the season.

Burke is going to hit homeruns...and strikeout. That's what power hitters do. Darcy is a utility infielder who is good for seeing-eye singles and sacrifice bunts. I hear from many he racked up a lot of those under Golisano and Quinn.

And was fired 4 times!

And has won 5 playoff series in 7 years to Ruff's 10 years....

You guys don't get it. So worried about tapdancing on someone's grave to feel better about our own mediocrity, yet our own crew's grave should have been dug and covered multiple times by now.

For as much as I like Burke....look what I wrote today. If the Leafs continued their swoon....he and Wilson needed and were assumed to be fired. If you don't produce over time, you need to go. Now as a gamble, he picks up possibly the best coaching candidate out there before the offseason, reunites with someone who he won a Stanley Cup with, and has a chance to inject some juice to save the season.

Burke is going to hit homeruns...and strikeout. That's what power hitters do. Darcy is a utility infielder who is good for seeing-eye singles and sacrifice bunts. I hear from many he racked up a lot of those under Golisano and Quinn.

im not tapdancing but lindy has had far more success than ron wilson

you dont agree with that????

Let's see.....which coach walked into an expansion team for his first job where Bob Corkum and Bill Houlder were candidates for captaincy?

Which coach was given a Northeast Division champion team that advanced in the playoffs the year before with a backup goalie and GM and coach of the year for his first job?

Which coach won a conference final against the other on his first year on the job with his team?

Which coach won playoff series 4 out of 5 years with a team and still was fired?

If you need help with any answers...I'm willing to fill in the blanks.

Even if you want to call them even, Wilson has been fired 4 times.

There isn't a Negativity Bubble in Buffalo.......there is a Teflon Bubble.....and a whole lot of people doing a whole lot of blowin of that bubble.

Let's see.....which coach walked into an expansion team for his first job where Bob Corkum and Bill Houlder were candidates for captaincy?

Which coach was given a Northeast Division champion team that advanced in the playoffs the year before with a backup goalie and GM and coach of the year for his first job?

Which coach won a conference final against the other on his first year on the job with his team?

Which coach won playoff series 4 out of 5 years with a team and still was fired?

If you need help with any answers...I'm willing to fill in the blanks.

Even if you want to call them even, Wilson has been fired 4 times.

There isn't a Negativity Bubble in Buffalo.......there is a Teflon Bubble.....and a whole lot of people doing a whole lot of blowin of that bubble.

which coach had a front office that got him joe thornton to ride for four years and still couldnt get past the second round?

Whatever... I just love that the Leafs are falling apart. I wish no ill towards Burke for parts of his life but as a GM.. suck it. Bye bye Ron Wilson.. might be awhile before he gets another shot.

Archived