Ron Wilson Fired

wonderbread

Not saying this is the case, but one could also say ... who knew GM's were allowed to cover their own failings by making the coach the scapegoat. The bigger problem here in Buffalo is that when things go badly, even over a long stretch, nobody says "OK, Darcy, is the problem you or Lindy? Pick one." Darcy likes the ambiguity (perhaps Lindy does, too) of "as long as we're both still together, you can't prove which is the problem, so you can't fire either of us."

18 games is not enough to prove a coach has righted a ship. They might get a short-term bump from either the players liking the coach more or the coach giving them more freedom (which might help in the short-run, but might not be a sustainable strategy over the long-haul, especially when you consider the playoffs), etc., but much of the coaches job and influence takes longer to really affect a team.

I didn't mean to imply it was make it or break for Carlyle in these 18 games. I was thinking of the coaching change in terms of this season only.

Burke is the shining example Bucky Gleason likes to cite when he's dumping on Darcy Regier. Hey Buck, hate to burst your bubble but maybe Burke is not god's gift to the hockey front office either. Darcy's strategy of "overvauling his players" worked out. What was Burke's plan? Sit with his thumb up his rear and toss his coach overboard?

PTR

The trouble with Burke is not that he's a poor hockey guy....he just hasn't stuck with his own blueprints for building a team in Toronto. He probably had to fire Wilson....but I would defend Wilson by saying he had that team playing very good hockey for most of the year. Wilson had the team playing better than it was.

Committee depth at center. Poor goal-tending. Lack of shut down pair. Poor penalty personnel.

Yet they were winning.

It was a matter of time. If I'm Washington or NY Isles, I hire Wilson tomorrow.

The trouble with Burke is not that he's a poor hockey guy....he just hasn't stuck with his own blueprints for building a team in Toronto. He probably had to fire Wilson....but I would defend Wilson by saying he had that team playing very good hockey for most of the year. Wilson had the team playing better than it was.

Committee depth at center. Poor goal-tending. Lack of shut down pair. Poor penalty personnel.

Yet they were winning.

Lack of a top-quality NHL goaltender will drop most teams out of the playoffs.

Leafs - Reimer isn't a blue chip goalie

Caps - got Volkun on the cheap.

Jackets - Mason isn't getting the job done

Bolts - Roloson well past his "best before" date

Wild - Backstrom lost to injury, Wild start to drop in the standings.

You can still have a top goalie and lose, but iit's best to build your team from the goalie out....

Lack of a top-quality NHL goaltender will drop most teams out of the playoffs.

Leafs - Reimer isn't a blue chip goalie

Caps - got Volkun on the cheap.

Jackets - Mason isn't getting the job done

Bolts - Roloson well past his "best before" date

Wild - Backstrom lost to injury, Wild start to drop in the standings.

You can still have a top goalie and lose, but iit's best to build your team from the goalie out....

I was never sold on Reimer; Mason has been flat-out awful for most of the year (that being said, that team in C-Bus is terrible. Devoid of talent in a lot of areas, with little or no direction from the GM); and I can't argue much about the Wild either. Harding has been way too inconsistent with Backstrom out.

For the others...Vokoun isn't the only reason that the Caps have struggled this year. Ovechkin and Semin underachieving and Green/Backstrom's injury troubles were bigger issues this year. Vokoun has been a solid average goalie but like Roloson, might be feeling the affects of age. Tampa let Mike Smith go and he has grabbed the starter's role in Phoenix.

Its funny but on Coaches Corner Don Cherry was saying that 2 weeks ago Burke went to the brass at C.B.C. and tried to get Cherry fired for talking bad about Wilsons ability as a coach. Two weeks later Burke fires Wilson. Burke tried to pull the same shite in Vancouver. On one of the local radio stations they had an outspoken radio personality named Dave Pratt. Burke demanded the station fire him as well. Didn't work for him there either.

Its funny but on Coaches Corner Don Cherry was saying that 2 weeks ago Burke went to the brass at C.B.C. and tried to get Cherry fired for talking bad about Wilsons ability as a coach. Two weeks later Burke fires Wilson. Burke tried to pull the same shite in Vancouver. On one of the local radio stations they had an outspoken radio personality named Dave Pratt. Burke demanded the station fire him as well. Didn't work for him there either.

It's a lot easier when your team controls the radio station through 70% of total revenue.

Although next year should be more interesting with the Bills around.

Dumb-ass move by TB to keep Rolo and lose Mike Smith....

Toronto really needed (needs) to upgrade their goalie, but they've tanked the season (again!) instead

Yep. Although to be fair Smith never really did enough in Tampa for the Bolts to justify keeping him. This really is a breakout year. His best year was 08-09 when he posted a 2.62 GAA and a .916 SV%.

Just another reason why Burke has reached Rex Ryan territory with me. I have a lot of respect for his ability, and readily acknowledge what he's accomplished. But after 4 years of missing the playoffs in Toronto....seriously just stop talking. I really don't care what you have to say, just do your damn job and let the results speak. Also, I can't believe he said that the crowd chanting to fire Wilson was the last straw. Especially having given him an extension, it looks like he just completely caved to public pressure.

Yep. Although to be fair Smith never really did enough in Tampa for the Bolts to justify keeping him. This really is a breakout year. His best year was 08-09 when he posted a 2.62 GAA and a .916 SV%.

You could also argue that the only reason Smith looks good this year is Phoenix's system. They could probably make Mika Noronen a Vezina candidate.

From the TSN article:

"Chants of 'Fire Wilson!' echoed through Air Canada Centre when the Maple Leafs fell 5-3 to the Florida Panthers on (Tuesday) Feb. 28."

Is that all it takes? Really? Well...

I was at that game

Reading about the fans hatred for Wilson as the coach, i just thought it was a normal thing in that arena to hear that chant, then the next day i heard it was a big topic on the Canadian sports stations.

I told my girlfriend (a big Leafs fan) during the warmups that they looked like they needed help in net, then after watching the much hyped Luke Schenn lose the puck 7 seconds in and cost them the first goal, I said that they also need some serious defensive help too

You have told her that you have no long-term future together, right? I mean, you don't want to lead the girl on. Seriously, even in these case, you eventually notice the Leafs' logo: Case 1 Case 2 Case 3 Case 4 (NSFW)

hehehe, we already live together and have 2 cats (one named Miller ;) ) Its nice being able to buy hockey tickets (or equipment) for your significant other and not get thrown to the doghouse for it. I just feel dirty when I have to purchase Leafs stuff for her.

Nah, it makes for a fun rivalry at home when the Sabres are doing so much better then the Leafs. Her entire family is divided between the Leafs and Habs, I enjoy just sitting back and laughing

You could also argue that the only reason Smith looks good this year is Phoenix's system. They could probably make Mika Noronen a Vezina candidate.

Could be Phoenix's system. Although I think Noronen could have been a solid goalie in the NHL if he stuck it out and didn't run home.

Archived