Could last place be the plan?

Weave

I had a drunken thought last nigt, didn't want to post it until I could do so with a clear head. :P

Could being a bottom feeder be the plan? Pegs inner circle are guys who came from a team who seem to intentionally bottom out from time to time to collect elite talent. Thinking about some of the decisions this team has made, I am starting to wonder if this seasons lack of success was intentional.

We have several players who are just not NHL talent and were given multi-year one way contracts this past offseason (thinking of McC and Ellis especially). Thinking on that further, I can't help but wonder if filling the bottom of the roster with non-NHL talent but at NHL salaries was intentional and part of a plan.

The team was short on centers going into the offseason yet when it became obvious that Richards wasn't coming here they didn't go after any of the other centers available.

Not everyone here does, but I respect Paul Hamilton's opinions and when he states something emphatically I tend to believe that he has credible info to base his statements on. A season like the one we had this year is the kind of season that gets coaches and GM's fired. Could Hammy's strong assertion that Darcy and Lindy aren't going anywhere this offseason be another clue that this season was planned?

The fans are loudly complaining about a lack of urgency to make changes this season. I have this thought in my head that the lack of urgency may have been planned. They keyed on defense in the offseason when it was obvious that center ice was going to be problematic, and developed a plan that had fill-ins at center. My thought is, if they tried to get elite talent here but couldn't get it done, maybe they changed their strategy to obtain elite talent through the draft.

I dunno. Maybe. Given the way Pittsburgh rebuilds itself every 15 years or so it seems to me that it is well within the realm of possibility that Ted Black has developed a similar strategy for the Sabres.

Or this idea could be all wet too.

*makes hangover breakfast*

I had a drunken thought last nigt, didn't want to post it until I could do so with a clear head. :P

Could being a bottom feeder be the plan? Pegs inner circle are guys who came from a team who seem to intentionally bottom out from time to time to collect elite talent. Thinking about some of the decisions this team has made, I am starting to wonder if this seasons lack of success was intentional.

We have several players who are just not NHL talent and were given multi-year one way contracts this past offseason (thinking of McC and Ellis especially). Thinking on that further, I can't help but wonder if filling the bottom of the roster with non-NHL talent but at NHL salaries was intentional and part of a plan.

The team was short on centers going into the offseason yet when it became obvious that Richards wasn't coming here they didn't go after any of the other centers available.

Not everyone here does, but I respect Paul Hamilton's opinions and when he states something emphatically I tend to believe that he has credible info to base his statements on. A season like the one we had this year is the kind of season that gets coaches and GM's fired. Could Hammy's strong assertion that Darcy and Lindy aren't going anywhere this offseason be another clue that this season was planned?

The fans are loudly complaining about a lack of urgency to make changes this season. I have this thought in my head that the lack of urgency may have been planned. They keyed on defense in the offseason when it was obvious that center ice was going to be problematic, and developed a plan that had fill-ins at center. My thought is, if they tried to get elite talent here but couldn't get it done, maybe they changed their strategy to obtain elite talent through the draft.

I dunno. Maybe. Given the way Pittsburgh rebuilds itself every 15 years or so it seems to me that it is well within the realm of possibility that Ted Black has developed a similar strategy for the Sabres.

You are right about it being a big part of how the penguins have the team that they have now, it surely wasn't the plan at the beginning of the year.

I believe the exact opposite. IMO, Pegula & Black think Regier and Ruff are good enough to get this team to the promised land. I also believe that Regier and Ruff believed this roster was good enough to get to the promised land.

The team, as it is, was the best team this management team could put together with all the money they spent. If the management team remains the same, the result will remain the same.

Enjoy breakfast.

I think that this was any sort of a plan would be wishful thinking on our part and giving them WAY to much credit. I really do think they thought they had improved over last year. They put too much stock in that run after January 1 last year, ignoring the league trends and how they were positioned to compete in it. So I guess I have to vote all wet.

I don't think they thought this team was good enough to win it all w/out some significant breaks along the way, but I do believe they thought they were on the right track and probably expected to be the 4 or 5 seed.

As Paul Hamilton pointed out yesterday, when this team was healthy (minus Hecht and random 4th liners) it had been 8-2; after Lindy Ruff got back behind the bench that squad has now dropped to 8-6. The team, when healthy, can compete but right now it isn't working. Changes clearly have to be made.

The thing that is troubling to me was GR's repetition that Darcy Regier wanted to take the next 5 games (4 now) to determine whether to buy or sell. Assuming GR got the quote right (I didn't hear the interview) if that wasn't strictly a case of a GM not wanting to tip his obvious hand, then he should have been punted on the spot. The Sabres are currently in a spot where they should be able to get an elite player in the draft; get rid of some (long term) useless parts today to ensure they don't go on a tear and end up w/ the 11th overall pick. They've backed into the evil genius plan of tanking this year, don't mess it up now.

Intentionally losing games is a big no. If the NHL felt the Sabres planned this horrible season, the franchise would be beyond penalized. Ever hear of "8 Men Out?"

There is no way they could have envisioned this team falling to the depths of the league.

I can't believe there is any business or hockey analysis that can be done that would result in both Dr and LR coming back in their present roles. For all the hype and good feeling that was going on coming into this year, they still had to resort to "non-traditional" hockey market promotions to sell the remaining 1500 seats for several games. In the end, they will make a prudent business decision to reinvigorate the fanbase.

Intentionally losing games is a big no. If the NHL felt the Sabres planned this horrible season, the franchise would be beyond penalized. Ever hear of "8 Men Out?"

It's a fine line I guess but I'm not suggesting they are throwing games, but it isn't that hard to build a lineup that is likely to not do very well. And you can bet that it's been done before (I am looking at you Quebec Nordiques). It is why they implimented the lottery system afterall.

I'll put the Indianapolis Colts of 2011 on display for a counter to this. There was no way anyone thought Manning was coming back this year and they kept a roster spot for him. They did nothing to improve their team and they ended up in the basement.. winning just enough to not be completely pathetic.

Anything is possible... risky.. but possible.

But no, I think, and I believe them, that this team is closer than farther from being a good team. I would say they knew this wasn't the season, which is why they didn't say it was. They said a few years, so if you look at who leaves over the next two years when they say that you can see potentially where things are going.

I don't think they ever thought they would be THIS bad however. There is a problem in the locker room, there's no doubt about it. Players don't play that disinterested without something being wrong.

I'm sorry, but when a surprising number of NHL analysts predicted the Sabres to take the Northeast this year, you can't think Pegula and company had a different plan or idea.They, too, had to have the same excitement/expectations most Sabres fans had for this season. Now that the season is more or less over for the Sabres, I hope Darcy makes a significant move(s) before the trade deadline. Do I think a high quality one is possible? No, I do not. There has been rumors of Miller going to Chicago for Patrick Kane. I would love that, but that is unrealistic. The Sabres would have the advantage on that trade and I don't see the Blackhawks going a long w/ it. I do believe it's no longer Miller time in Buffalo, though. This means I'll be switching my screen name rather soon.

I believe the exact opposite. IMO, Pegula & Black think Regier and Ruff are good enough to get this team to the promised land. I also believe that Regier and Ruff believed this roster was good enough to get to the promised land.

The team, as it is, was the best team this management team could put together with all the money they spent. If the management team remains the same, the result will remain the same.

Enjoy breakfast.

^ This.

The plan was to make a run at the cup. What happened was a mixture of poor management, ineffective coaching, and poor team chemistry probably due to issues we already suspected existed (Roy's attitude for example). The ensuing implosion was neither planned nor hoped for. If there is actually a plan than Roy will be gone from this team come next Monday. If not, my faith in the ownership of this team will be severally shaken.

Hasn't Pittsburgh actually done it twice? I believe it got them the cup both times.

no

For Darcy and Lindy? No way. The players? No way. Everyone of these players has been playing competitive hockey since they were kids. They won't start losing all of a sudden with hopes of having a 18 year old kid come here and keep their dream of winning a Cup alieve.

But, if you're Pegula and Black, i guess right now secretly they may be hoping so. They both were invlolved somehow with the Pens several years ago and they know exactly what kind of success can a few top picks do for a team. They'll never admit it, but i doubt they want to go on a run and finish in 10th place. I think 3rd or even 2nd worst would be ideal.

They did it once?

Sure, a team that was in bankruptcy and on the verge of being dissolved finishing last versus a team that has the league's highest payroll and is about to take a $30 million loss on the year without any playoff revenue because they overspent on garbage, from top on down.

This franchise is truly rudderless. I have seen 3 of the worst posts EVER by 3 of the best posters the past few days. First it was Taro claiming Miller will be great next year because he will have an extra 10 days rest from not having to get ousted in the 1st round.....now this thread.

This franchise is in DEEP....DEEP....doodoo.

Archived