What are you currently reading?

darksabre

Regardless of your politics, in fact I would say only if you can check your politics at the title page, Supreme Court Opinions typically make for excellent late June reading, especially dissents, especially dissents written by Antonin Scalia, especially dissents written by a cranky Antonin Scalia. Tomorrow should be fun.

Regardless of your politics, in fact I would say only if you can check your politics at the title page, Supreme Court Opinions typically make for excellent late June reading, especially dissents, especially dissents written by Antonin Scalia, especially dissents written by a cranky Antonin Scalia. Tomorrow should be fun.

I'm looking forward to them. I might not always agree with Antonin but I respect his passion. The guy really cares about his duty.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Yeah, I had the same experience when I read it, could not put it down. Alan Karlsson is a MAN! The book runs out of steam a little bit towards the end, but it's still a great whimsical read.

Just finished. I agree about it running out of steam in the last 20 pages or 30 or so. Thankfully, this is a book about the journey, and not about the end, because, as you say, it's a little on the weak side at the end.

But yeah, Karlsson is THE MAN!

Edited by Eleven

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know of any good books on the history of the Buffalo region, pre-1900?

A friend bought me a copy of Nickle City Drafts, a Drinking History of Buffalo, NY last year. It might not be quite what you had in mind but it is a nice, if somewhat short, history of the brewing industry in Buffalo. Covers a good bit of the mid-to-late 1800's on through today.

A friend bought me a copy of Nickle City Drafts, a Drinking History of Buffalo, NY last year. It might not be quite what you had in mind but it is a nice, if somewhat short, history of the brewing industry in Buffalo. Covers a good bit of the mid-to-late 1800's on through today.

Hey that sounds like things I like :lol:

OK, I've read too many history books and too much serious fiction lately. I need a good page turner; something along the lines of The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo (and yeah I've read the sequels); any ideas?

The Terror by Dan Simmons

It's an alternate history + horror novel about two (real) Royal Navy ships that were lost at sea in the 1840s trying to find the Northwest Passage. Absolutely spectacular from start to finish.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Terror-Novel-Dan-Simmons-ebook/dp/B000PAAH3A/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

This is next in my queue.

http://www.randomhou...naoki-higashida

Meant to ask if you'd heard about that one... I know there are questions about whether the English translation (intentionally or unintentionally) altered the original author's meaning, but it sounds like an incredible read.

The Terror by Dan Simmons

It's an alternate history + horror novel about two (real) Royal Navy ships that were lost at sea in the 1840s trying to find the Northwest Passage. Absolutely spectacular from start to finish.

http://www.amazon.co...=dp_kinw_strp_1

BTW, if anyone is looking for a good horror book for Halloween or just the 2nd half of October, there's The Terror (above) or go with a classic like Salem's Lot by Stephen King. (King's early novels are tremendous and should not be missed.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.