GDT: Devils at Sabres 2/14/2012 7:00PM

spndnchz

He is a goal scorer. These players float into areas to score. When you don't see him backcheck aggresively you say lazy. When Jersey gets the puck out to him and he gets a breakaway or a great scoring chance, that same laziness is deemed great awareness. Phil Kessel does the same thing, but he is not European so no one calls him lazy for it.

Kessel does get called on cherry picking.

The issue for me has never been whether Kessel and Kovulchuk can score. They can in numbers.

The issue is what kind of team can you build around them with outside shot players that are defensive liabilities.

Take away Kessel's or Kovulchuk's shooting lanes and they can become one-dimensional liabilities.

I'd much prefer the Datsuk, Hossa, Toews, Kesler, Parise, Koivu mold. Take away their shooting lanes and they can still

dominate a game and not score at all.

One type wins cups. The others don't.

I was out tonight and me and my lady friend were at a bar watching the game. A business guy who was in from philly sat next to us. Nice guy, knew hockey pretty well, we shared some shots etc etc...

Midway through the second, he orders me a shot and says "this is for you for having to watch this garbage" he was appalled at what he was seeing from the sabres. Passes not connecting, neutral zone confusion, zero pressure and absolutely no physical game at all. He said he remembers when the sabres use to kick his teams ass and that the sabres needed hartnell on the team.

Just kinda odd, as this guy doesn't see too many sabres games in philly. The team was terrible tonight, even after a few blue moons, I couldn't stomach to finish the game. We were teased last week unfortunately, our true colors are back. Its inevitable that major changes are the only saving grace for this organization at this point. We attempted in the off season, and we failed. Time to reload with different players on the chess board and different individuals at the wheel!!

Ennis had a good game, and Gragnani didn't embarrass himself.

I guess Lindy didn't think Ennis had a good game, he was sure to call him out during his presser, while he doesn't say boo about his lover boy Roy. Dressing MAG's was stupid, they new Ehrhoff was good to go (played over 20 minutes), yet Lindy dresses MAG's to play 5 minutes, most of it in the last 5 minutes of the game and leaves us short a forward. I am so sick of this guy coaching my beloved hockey team.

Once again, I could not watch MSG so it is much easier on my soul after what sounded like another uninspired effort. Toronto fans can't feel much better after getting pounded again by a 9th place team. If Roy really did play as badly as it sounds (again), it really upsets me to know that he is not getting benched or moved down to the 4th line. As I mentioned before the game, the season has now reached the "it's over point." It would have been postponed with a victory or MAYBE with a hard fought unfortunate loss. It does not sound like that was the case though.

What if nobody wants Roy or Stafford? Seriously, what are the alternatives because I can't stand hating on this team any longer. They need to be removed like Philly removed two of their bigger names. It is clearly addition by subtraction and draft picks would be a dream right now. I can't believe I still have 8 home game left. I feel better about the Bills right now :doh:

This team is uninspired. I cant put myself through 1 more second of this quicksand. Me and the sabres are taking a break, please start more threads about what we had for dinner or big tits or whatever thanks...

Dude..its been that kind of year..that is why I only post in those threads..just not much new to sa about this squad. Worst part is I am giving up booze for three weeks, last night was my first game without beer...wow this team is even worse sober.

Having said that, i know good teams get the bounces, make your own luck etc...but damn this team is snakebit right now..nothing going right.Maybe its karma biting Pegs in da ass for all the good luck he has had

This team is uninspired. I cant put myself through 1 more second of this quicksand. Me and the sabres are taking a break, please start more threads about what we had for dinner or big tits or whatever thanks...

its time to blow this thing up. Looked like they had a little life last week but last 2 games have been stinkers. Hopefully Darcy starts selling or making trades to make this team tougher and alive however until Lindy is gone this will be what we get

Worst part is I am giving up booze for three weeks, last night was my first game without beer...wow this team is even worse sober.

Lol. To people asking abouot why Roy ids getting so much ice time and why Grags was dressed and played 5 minutes, The only reason that is acceptable is that some GM wanted to see Grags playing again and Roy is also being showcased lol for a trade.

Some notes:

-Lindy's sourpuss is back behind the bench=we get spanked.

-Deadline Darcy shouldn't be allowed to make any more deals. He's clearly lost his touch with trading.

-When we finally dump guys like Stafford and Boyes, I can see we'll probably have to eat alot of their salaries, like a Kotalik type deal. I can see why noone would want some one who's had 3 goals in 63 games, or someone else who's admitted to having "personal issues" and let it affect his game.

-I'm sorry, Tyler Myers doesn't do it for me. He hits people once every 10-15 games, maybe after the coach has yelled at him and he can't hit the broad side of a barn shooting But he's so over-rated that he could actually fetch something in a trade...that is if we have a new GM with brains.

-I've been a Derek Roy fan but he clearly can't play against the physically tough teams.

-Martin Brodeur is the greatest goalie ever, bar none.

-Any article by Bucky or Jerry Sullivan on Sabrereport.com gets an automatic thumbs down. These two should be sent packing along with some of these passengers on the Sabres.

Haven't read anything since yesterday before the game, but here goes my observations from the Arena.

1. Kovy just had to pick last night for a hat-trick, didn't he? He still floated around for much of the game.

2. I don't know what Roy is doing out there, and I'm beginning to think that he doesn't know, either.

3. ####ing Brodeur. Made some great saves right in front of me. He was the difference.

4. What will it take to remove Drew Stafford from this team?

5. I know there were some bad penalties, but I also know there were some bad calls. No conspiracy theories here, but the refs didn't bring their A-game. Maybe they were influenced by Stafford.

We should have a companion to each game day thread going forward for the reast of the season called "What did you do instead of wasting your time watching the game?" Last night I replaced the wax ring on a leaky toilet and fixed the digital compass / thermometer in my truck.

Either way you ended up looking at a flushing toilet last night.

What, you mean the Sabres had a game last night? Could've fooled me....

OK, I knew they were playing, but since I have TWC I can't see the games anymore. Since the team is playing like dog doo, I really am not all that bothered. However, the powers that be are running some risks here. I don't have access to any real numbers, but I have to think that there are many more Time Warner subscribers than either DirecTV or certainly Verizon FiOS (since they are in limited areas). Any advertiser that bought time during Sabres game is now reaching a substantially smaller audience than it was before. (It has been said that the number of people switching providers has been "insignificant"). The sponsors cannot be very happy. If the "blackout" on TWC continues and the Sabres organization does nothing to improve the team, I'm sure they would reconsider signing up for ad time in the future.

I was amused in watching the game Friday night - every other ad was for DirecTV or FiOS. (It was even funnier when the video highlights showing in the DirecTV commercials was all jumpy - a portend of things to come if you sign up for satellite?) Such a blatant attempt to get fans to switch - airing a game on broadcast TV and then blasting us with these ads. Sad, really.

I really don't know where this team is going from here - they are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel. If it was difficult to recruit players to come here last off-season, no player worth his salt is going to want to come near this sad sack of a team now. The (formerly highly visible) owner has disappeared, the play of the team sucks canal water and even getting into the playoffs seems a remote fantasy. As a fan, I feel like the Sabre organization has dumped me in a deep well. I can see a circle of light way up there, but I have no idea how to reach it.

-Lindy's sourpuss is back behind the bench=we get spanked.

The Sabres got spanked by the Lightning with Patrick behind the bench. The team sucks regardless of which coach is behind the bench.

I guess Lindy didn't think Ennis had a good game, he was sure to call him out during his presser, while he doesn't say boo about his lover boy Roy. Dressing MAG's was stupid, they new Ehrhoff was good to go (played over 20 minutes), yet Lindy dresses MAG's to play 5 minutes, most of it in the last 5 minutes of the game and leaves us short a forward. I am so sick of this guy coaching my beloved hockey team.

Would dressing Matt Ellis really have helped us last night? I didn't really mind the move, especially since Gragnani has to play a few more games to maintain RFA status this summer, not that anyone wants him back here.

Archived