GDT: Devils at Sabres 2/14/2012 7:00PM

spndnchz

The Sabres got spanked by the Lightning with Patrick behind the bench. The team sucks regardless of which coach is behind the bench.

Would dressing Matt Ellis really have helped us last night? I didn't really mind the move, especially since Gragnani has to play a few more games to maintain RFA status this summer, not that anyone wants him back here.

If the Sabres played like they did against Boston the entire time that ruff was upstairs, TSc would be all over the fact that it was proof Lindy is the problem, but if the difference wasn't so big then it wasn't a big enough sample size, or Ruff is still calling the shots upstairs, etc. (it was even predicted by many that way before hand)

Let them complain about the players that played last night and how bad the roster moves were, according to everyone here earlier, Erhoff wasn't even supposed to play because he was sick. According to the broadcast pre-game, they decided later that Erhoff would try and play, but dressed 7 d-man because they weren't sure how well Erhoff would feel so if he wasn't good they still had 6 d-man. If he was good all game, they had grags as a spare on D, but he can also play forward in an emergency situation. its amazing how much people care about the guys put on the 4th line, many feel they need to upgrade over a guy like Ellis who is a solid 4th line player for them

Solid fourth line players for them don't concern me. What concerns me is we have a line-up full of 3rd and 4th line players for a cup contender and maybe 1 or 2 top six forwards who could fill that roll on a cup contender. I love Pommers as our best all around player, but on a solidly constructed cup finalist, he might well be a checking winger who would still get his points. He's a real responsible player defensively with good offensive skills.

Solid fourth line players for them don't concern me. What concerns me is we have a line-up full of 3rd and 4th line players for a cup contender and maybe 1 or 2 top six forwards who could fill that roll on a cup contender. I love Pommers as our best all around player, but on a solidly constructed cup finalist, he might well be a checking winger who would still get his points. He's a real responsible player defensively with good offensive skills.

Did he not start out as that player and is only #1 line material on a Sabres roster such as it has been constructed. I also really like Pominville, but agree with you that on a cup team, or a serious cup contending team, he is not a #1 line guy.

Did he not start out as that player and is only #1 line material on a Sabres roster such as it has been constructed. I also really like Pominville, but agree with you that on a cup team, or a serious cup contending team, he is not a #1 line guy.

Did you like him and all of his raved about two way play when he gave up and just let Kovalchuk go to the net uncontested and score? Sorry venting at the wrong person is all.

Would dressing Matt Ellis really have helped us last night? I didn't really mind the move, especially since Gragnani has to play a few more games to maintain RFA status this summer, not that anyone wants him back here.

The difference dressing Ellis would of made is there would of been 4 complete lines and Lindy would not have to juggle players to roll 4 lines, even though he went overboard and disrupted any chemistry that was built in the last 2 weeks.

I'm not that concerned that MAG's is going to be some hot commodity in Free Agency.

Weren't you a Bernier believer (and a critic of DR for letting him go)? Are you sticking to that position now that it's become clear he's a journeyman?

I highly suggest it. I find stuff I say that I really screwed up. You learn from it. I actually said Pyatt and Bernier would retire with 300 goals each. Pyatt has a shot, but Bernier...Whoops!

Nevermind....Pyatt needs a miracle as well

Yes....it was the fact that Darcy and Lindy are so horrible with big forwards, that I overpursued the idea that everyone they touched would turn into gold somewhere else.

He had just dumped Dumont, Pyatt and Grier. They played like their typical puss to a degree after that. Somehow, Darcy thought it would be great to give up his best defenseman for the guy, only to have Lindy say he has no work ethic and is out of shape. That didn't phase me though because this is the same duo that DID let Dumont, Pyatt and Grier go, that DID make Gaustad lose 15 lbs, and would go on to acquire Torres and say the same thing about him.

It was more an anti Darcy/Lindy opinion and watching the talent and grit he showed his first few games here on instinct. Vancouver takes all these guys from us, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Stafford end up there.

Did you like him and all of his raved about two way play when he gave up and just let Kovalchuk go to the net uncontested and score? Sorry venting at the wrong person is all.

No, you're not inappropriate in calling Pommers out for that play. It sealed the game for NJ. The d-man played the puck carrier, as he should have seeing that Pominville was covering the trailer (Kovalchuk). Pominville just inexplicably seemed to give up and let Kovalchuk get the puck without contesting him at all. Not what you want to see from your captain, and a microcosm of everything that's wrong with this team right now. Adequate effort at times, but no finish.

No, you're not inappropriate in calling Pommers out for that play. It sealed the game for NJ. The d-man played the puck carrier, as he should have seeing that Pominville was covering the trailer (Kovalchuk). Pominville just inexplicably seemed to give up and let Kovalchuk get the puck without contesting him at all. Not what you want to see from your captain, and a microcosm of everything that's wrong with this team right now. Adequate effort at times, but no finish.

Pominville made a bad play there, but if Kovalchuk catches the pass and the makes a move or takes a shot, Pominville probably has him covered. Unfortunately Kovalchuck made a great play and deflected the hard pass in the net and Pominville looks way dumber than his play was.

Pominville made a bad play there, but if Kovalchuk catches the pass and the makes a move or takes a shot, Pominville probably has him covered. Unfortunately Kovalchuck made a great play and deflected the hard pass in the net and Pominville looks way dumber than his play was.

It is possible to play the man and take the body without getting a penalty. The Sabres' style is to either skate with him and peel off while taking a swipe with your stick, or just take a tripping or holding penalty!

Pominville is one of the more defensively responsible of the bunch, but even he leaves a lot to be desired much of the time.

It is possible to play the man and take the body without getting a penalty. The Sabres' style is to either skate with him and peel off while taking a swipe with your stick, or just take a tripping or holding penalty!

Pominville is one of the more defensively responsible of the bunch, but even he leaves a lot to be desired much of the time.

Of course it was a bad play. I'm just saying, give the offensive player credit for not letting Pominville make a play on him. Goals get scored every game. There is always someone to blame, but lets not forget that someone on the other team made a play for it as well.

Of course it was a bad play. I'm just saying, give the offensive player credit for not letting Pominville make a play on him. Goals get scored every game. There is always someone to blame, but lets not forget that someone on the other team made a play for it as well.

Agreed :flirt:

What you seem to want to ignore is the fact that the reason Kovalchuk was able to make a play was that his legs were moving while he was driving to the net whereas Pommer the Captain was coasting as Kovalchuk was closing on the net.

Sorry. Horrible bs play from anyone but ten times worse given it's your Captain that supposedly plays a nice two way game.

UNACCEPTABLE. Pull the C off the guy for that alone. Great example I guess and the other guys follow the leader.

What you seem to want to ignore is the fact that the reason Kovalchuk was able to make a play was that his legs were moving while he was driving to the net whereas Pommer the Captain was coasting as Kovalchuk was closing on the net.

Sorry. Horrible bs play from anyone but ten times worse given it's your Captain that supposedly plays a nice two way game.

UNACCEPTABLE. Pull the C off the guy for that alone. Great example I guess and the other guys follow the leader.

Not ignoring anything. Can someone just admit Kovalchucks play and tip were world class. I am not saying Pominville did the right thing. I suppose you'll say the same thing when lidstrom gets scored on. Alfredsson has been an awful player since the same Pominville drove around him and scored. He should have probably just retired after that. It's a wonder Ottawa made it to the finals the next year in spite of that loser.

Pominville makes a mistake, world explodes. I think that Pommer has proven this year that he's a legit #1 right winger. Of all the things to complain about...

Exactly, all I was pointing out was that we have a real paucity of talent up front.

Guys make mistakes on every goal and a lot of the guys who are pointing this out during the broadcasts(Razor who I love for example) were marginal players who made the same mistakes at times. On those rare occasions lately when we score, you can find an opposition player to critique just as easily. Or, do we interpret that as a good play by a Sabre? Just trying to give some perspective.

Exactly, all I was pointing out was that we have a real paucity of talent up front.

Guys make mistakes on every goal and a lot of the guys who are pointing this out during the broadcasts(Razor who I love for example) were marginal players who made the same mistakes at times. On those rare occasions lately when we score, you can find an opposition player to critique just as easily. Or, do we interpret that as a good play by a Sabre? Just trying to give some perspective.

Everything I heard yesterday about this game, they gave more credit to Zubrus of the Devils for the Sabres goal for throwing it into the net instead of Pominville scoring the goal

Or... You're being overly critical and dwelling on one mistake that isn't even remotely related to the huge problems that this team DOES have?

We disagree I guess. I see it as one mistake that exemplifies the team as a whole and is part of other issues that stem in part with the Captain being who he is and this one mistake just shines the light a little more. I happen to respect Pommers two way game by the way. What happened to it on that play? Oh well it was only one play you say. Ok. But it is the one that sealed their fate and that should be happening with him. C or no C.

And somone said oh ya Kovalchuk makes a once in a lifetimme play with a tip in or something to that effect. Right keep thinking that way.

We disagree I guess. I see it as one mistake that exemplifies the team as a whole and is part of other issues that stem in part with the Captain being who he is and this one mistake just shines the light a little more. I happen to respect Pommers two way game by the way. What happened to it on that play? Oh well it was only one play you say. Ok. But it is the one that sealed their fate and that should be happening with him. C or no C.

And somone said oh ya Kovalchuk makes a once in a lifetimme play with a tip in or something to that effect. Right keep thinking that way.

It was I who brought the world class play on the tap in. Not once in a lifetime. Most players have no shot to even get that on net. They would have simply caught the puck and then shot it or made a move. Don't give Kovalchuk any credit, if it wouldn't have hit him Pominville probably would have picked the puck up and threw it in the net anyway.

Yes the season is/was on the line Pominville needs to make the play bottom line. I was only trying to bring up that it was a beauty of a tip in. That wasn't just any ordinary winger just trying tget his stick on the puck.

It was I who brought the world class play on the tap in. Not once in a lifetime. Most players have no shot to even get that on net. They would have simply caught the puck and then shot it or made a move. Don't give Kovalchuk any credit, if it wouldn't have hit him Pominville probably would have picked the puck up and threw it in the net anyway.

Yes the season is/was on the line Pominville needs to make the play bottom line. I was only trying to bring up that it was a beauty of a tip in. That wasn't just any ordinary winger just trying tget his stick on the puck.

Perhaps I misread what you meant then because I fully agree with bolded part 100% on both parts.

Thanks

Archived