Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

45.6MB up sounds wrong. 28.9MB down is nice. I just ran mine at work at it was 1.09 up and 14.9 down. That seems to be the norm for standard TWC internet service. 

Revisiting this, my company got sick and tired of TW service dropping all the time. Our company uses internet for our phones, so when the internet would cut out, we'd lose all communications. 

So we had Verizon come in this week and hook us up to Fios. Let me tell you what...

UL speed went from 1.09 Mbps, to 94.83 Mbps. DL went from 14.9 Mbps to 72.79 Mbps. 

:o  :o  :o  :o 

:worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:

Revisiting this, my company got sick and tired of TW service dropping all the time. Our company uses internet for our phones, so when the internet would cut out, we'd lose all communications. 

So we had Verizon come in this week and hook us up to Fios. Let me tell you what...

UL speed went from 1.09 Mbps, to 94.83 Mbps. DL went from 14.9 Mbps to 72.79 Mbps. 

:o  :o  :o  :o 

:worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy:

I'm currently living in an apartment where TWC is the one and only option (and they know they're my only option... 4 rate hikes and they won't even take me seriously after confirming my location, whereas family members have had great results chipping away at their bills or upgrading services). My DL speeds are usually around 9 Mbps, and I don't think UL has ever touched 1 Mbps. It's absolutely terrible, but I couldn't afford much more while in college.

So what is this doing in the awesome thread? Well, I just graduated and I'll be moving in a month, and I can't wait to get away from this TWC bill. I don't think Fios will be available at my new location, but at least there will be some competition for TWC in the from of ATT U-verse and Expede. If Fios is available, then I have a feeling I'll be  :worthy: just like you.

I'm currently living in an apartment where TWC is the one and only option (and they know they're my only option... 4 rate hikes and they won't even take me seriously after confirming my location, whereas family members have had great results chipping away at their bills or upgrading services). My DL speeds are usually around 9 Mbps, and I don't think UL has ever touched 1 Mbps. It's absolutely terrible, but I couldn't afford much more while in college.

So what is this doing in the awesome thread? Well, I just graduated and I'll be moving in a month, and I can't wait to get away from this TWC bill. I don't think Fios will be available at my new location, but at least there will be some competition for TWC in the from of ATT U-verse and Expede. If Fios is available, then I have a feeling I'll be :worthy: just like you.

Someday I will escape Time Warner. Someday.

So I can pay for "up to" x Mbps, get half of x and have no right to complain/recourse?

When my speeds started getting even slower than those I posted above, I called and pitched a fit and they replaced my router. They didn't guarantee any speeds, just said "oh well, hope this helps a little." It did help a bit.

By router, I mean modem.. Typed that while running out the door to work haha. I did replace my own router, but TWC obviously didn't have any part in that.

Edited by EichSnipe

While we're on job interview stuff- anyone have any tips for interviews, particularly as a woman? Do I wear pants? A dress? I'm going shopping after work today to see if I can bolster my closet a little- I'm very much a retro dress style girl, and that just doesn't feel appropriate for a job interview. I guess I'm thinking nice pants, low heels, nice top, nothing flashy. 

I've really never had to do this before, but I'm hoping in the next couple of months I can pull something off and move to Buffalo. I'm looking at jobs in the sports/art crossover area, and I guess I feel I should look like an athlete or something. I don't know. This is all so daunting. 

Do they even make pantsuits for women under 40??? 

I've got a couple HBIC (head b!tch in charge) blazers. Just need some nice pants and a colorful polished shirt and that'll do it, then. And low heels that aren't scuffed to hell. I could use a new face and hair too. Well, crap. 

Echoing others; yes, they do.  I have a dark pinstripe pantsuit I bought at The Limited many moons ago, and the only time I ever wear it is on interviews (even though in my line of work we generally do not dress up on a daily basis).  The suit itself is conservative and I like to add a colorful top underneath for a little personality.  I'm pretty sure you can do the same idea with a skirt, but I rarely wear dresses so I personally feel more confident in dress pants.  Some ideas here:

http://www.thelimited.com/womens-clothing/suits

I'll give my things that are awesome. Had my stress test today (follow up after the ER visit). The good news is, there is no bad news.

*relieved*

Huzzah!

Edited by biodork

Echoing others; yes, they do.  I have a dark pinstripe pantsuit I bought at The Limited many moons ago, and the only time I ever wear it is on interviews (even though in my line of work we generally do not dress up on a daily basis).  The suit itself is conservative and I like to add a colorful top underneath for a little personality.  I'm pretty sure you can do the same idea with a skirt, but I rarely wear dresses so I personally feel more confident in dress pants.  Some ideas here:

http://www.thelimited.com/womens-clothing/suits

Huzzah!

I just want to let everyone know that Josie went shopping last night and had very good luck. 

I just want to let everyone know that Josie went shopping last night and had very good luck. 

Harooh!

I'll give my things that are awesome. Had my stress test today (follow up after the ER visit). The good news is, there is no bad news.

*relieved*

Harooh! Harooh!

Haha yes. I hope my actual job search is the same- I'm entering into it with sh!t self esteem, expecting the absolute worst, but if it's like the shopping, I'll get what I need immediately and end up leaving with better than I expected and a bit more confidence. I'm apparently 2-3 sizes smaller than I expected too, which doesn't hurt. 

Bio- one of the outfits I bought was from there. Navy pants, jacket, coral top, matching coral belt. Got some black pants from two other stores, another random shirt, now all I need are shoes with a slightly taller heel or else deal with hemming. Getting my hair fixed next Wednesday, augmenting my portfolio more, learning how to write a g.d. cover letter, then doing this. Some company in Buffalo's gotta want me, right? Well, maybe not with all this neurosis :P  

I honestly can't remember who just bought a new bass. Just know that you inspired me.

It arrived today.

attachicon.gifNew LTD.jpg

Oh, and Reverb.com also is awesome.

It was qwk.  5-stringer.

That post and a couple of other things inspired me to get back into music.  I bought a used classical guitar with great tone for less than $100 and my second lesson is tonight.

Edited by Eleven

It was qwk.  5-stringer.

That post and a couple of other things inspired me to get back into music.  I bought a used classical guitar with great tone for less than $100 and my second lesson is tonight.

I've been debating getting a violin. I miss playing music but the only instrument I have around right now is a saxophone, which I'm nervous about playing in an apartment. I gave all my neighbors notes telling them I might play it on the weekends, but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm apprehensive. 

I have an acoustic guitar that was Josie's mother's, and it's a good guitar, but I can't find the motivation to learn it. Guitar doesn't interest me much. Probably because both my father and brother play, so I have to be different.  :P 

Josie plays sax and piano. I'm jealous of her piano teaching. 

But violin interests me. A little more portable than a guitar. I could do the basics waaaay back when, but opted to go for woodwind over strings. 

I've been debating getting a violin. I miss playing music but the only instrument I have around right now is a saxophone, which I'm nervous about playing in an apartment. I gave all my neighbors notes telling them I might play it on the weekends, but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm apprehensive. 

I have an acoustic guitar that was Josie's mother's, and it's a good guitar, but I can't find the motivation to learn it. Guitar doesn't interest me much. Probably because both my father and brother play, so I have to be different.  :P 

But violin interests me. A little more portable than a guitar. I could do the basics waaaay back when, but opted to go for woodwind over strings. 

It's good to try something new.  I played the double bass, which is about the least portable instrument you can imagine (harp and piano excluded) and decided I didn't want to go back to that.  One reason was the cost:  Those are freaking expensive.  But the bigger reason is that there's a lack of literature for the instrument.  You won't have that problem with a violin.  But it is not an inexpensive instrument to purchase or maintain.  (Of course, you could always get the horsehair from Josie's ranch and maintain the bow yourself, but I don't recommend it.)

Come home with me, I'm sure my mum would be glad to see her violin in good hands. She played many many years, both concert and folk fiddling. She was the fiddler on many roofs in many plays in her day :) 

I have an acoustic guitar that was Josie's mother's, and it's a good guitar, but I can't find the motivation to learn it. Guitar doesn't interest me much. Probably because both my father and brother play, so I have to be different.  

At the risk of coming off badly: What about the ukulele?

It is an absolutely charming, lovely instrument that is affordable and accessible. It also has the distinct advantage of sounding cool even when you're a total hack.

It is an absolutely charming, lovely instrument that is affordable and accessible. It also has the distinct advantage of sounding cool even when you're a total hack.

We've got one of those at my parents' home too, it was my grandmother's! My friend here at work built one and has been in a couple of ukulele groups. d4rk, you want strings, we've got strings, no strings attached. 

When Jo and d4rk talk on here, it's awesome. I feel like I have bugged their apartment. Not that I would.

I've been itching to learn the piano. To just sit down and play, what joy that must be. But I have to write that Sabres history comic strip, get my Sabres tat and run a 5K first.

When Jo and d4rk talk on here, it's awesome. I feel like I have bugged their apartment. Not that I would.

I've been itching to learn the piano. To just sit down and play, what joy that must be. But I have to write that Sabres history comic strip, get my Sabres tat and run a 5K first.

Sorry  :blush:  haha

I played for about 15 years, competed, nearly went to college for it. I never appreciated it until I quit, and now I miss it dearly. One of those things, I was forced into it rather against my will in my mother's ceaseless desire to turn her daughters into Jane Austen characters. 

Along with a decent tub, a decent piano is one of my "selfish things I greatly want" in our future little house someday. 

It's definitely worth learning. My father is self taught, even built a harpsichord on his own that I'll probably inherit someday. If you can play piano, you can really understand any instrument/music. 

It's good to try something new.  I played the double bass, which is about the least portable instrument you can imagine (harp and piano excluded) and decided I didn't want to go back to that.  One reason was the cost:  Those are freaking expensive.  But the bigger reason is that there's a lack of literature for the instrument.  You won't have that problem with a violin.  But it is not an inexpensive instrument to purchase or maintain.  (Of course, you could always get the horsehair from Josie's ranch and maintain the bow yourself, but I don't recommend it.)

I've looked into it. There's actually a couple good shops here in Buffalo and they sell used for a reasonable price. Of course, everything is reasonably priced when your dream instrument is a Baritone Sax. 

Come home with me, I'm sure my mum would be glad to see her violin in good hands. She played many many years, both concert and folk fiddling. She was the fiddler on many roofs in many plays in her day :)

Okay fine.  :P

Uke doesn't interest me much either. Maybe I'm anti-fret? 

We've got one of those at my parents' home too, it was my grandmother's! My friend here at work built one and has been in a couple of ukulele groups. d4rk, you want strings, we've got strings, no strings attached. 

Of course they have one. 

:lol:

It was qwk.  5-stringer.

I thought so, but I couldn't find his post to be sure. It's a pretty nice instrument for only $275. If it turns out that I like playing a 6 string, I'll probably end up spending a lot more for one. Not sure what I am rooting for.