All about the All-Star Game..

papazoid

"It's unbelievable. It's unbelievable. It's unbelievable." NBC is NOT having a good game. At all.

Yep, it's unbelievable that this is any sort of NHL hockey game. I think it's fun for the fans of the league already in the fold, but the NHL isn't doing itself any favors by trying to pass of it's version of pro wrestling while it's announcers are trying to convince us it's anything special. I don't know which all star game looks less like the real thing, the NFL or NHL.

GO SABRES!!!

Technique is so important. That stand-up style is just not effective, especially against modern goal scorers. I'd say it's as balanced as it's going to ever get.

This is all star game has been pretty fun. The Sedins with Alfie is absolutely disgusting.

On the other side, I felt for Lundqvist on the first two goals. The first one was completely indefensible; the second was an absolutely incredible goal.

And I almost never feel bad for players on NY teams (or teams that identify with that area, cf. Giants, Jets, etc.).

MY GOD is the play-by-play AWFUL. They are gossiping and gossiping and gossiping and NOT covering the game. When someone scores, they seem distracted by the goal horn and instead of yelling "SCORE!" they just go "Ohhhh."

This totally F***ing sucks.

Welcome to hockey on versus. Or NBCSports or whatever.

my thoughts....

#1- Pominville showed well all weekend.

#2- Although All Star games leave alot to be desired (lack of defense and contact), i really like the draft "choose-up" format. It adds to the "fun" factor much more than the competitive East vs West or North America vs World formats.

#3- i really enjoy the skills competition, kind of like an NFL combine comparing players, measuring speed, accuracy, hardest shot etc....

#4- i watch alot of hockey, but was surprised how many players i never heard of before (benn, eberle, couture, edler, girardi).

#5- it seemed the comradery amongst and between the players was more evident.

#6- i thought the Ottawa fans carried the booing of Toronto players a bit too much, especially during the draft.

#7- during the customary handshake after game, i got a chuckle watching Tim Thomas and the Sedins share some laughs.

#8- Overall i was expecting not to enjoy the whole thing, but i did.

I only saw the first 10-15 min of the first period. The goals started coming in bunches as I was leaving. One thing that had me extremely jealous was the quality of the passing and shooting. The passing especially, knowing that none of these players play together at all, yet they know where each other is going to be and put it there. In comparison, the Sabres haven't been able to make good breakout passes or setup passes in the O-zone. It always surprises me when a Sabre pass actually connects to someone who's alone for a score. These guys can do it in their sleep.

OMFG look at how small the goalies look in the net. No wonder scoring is down. WAAAYYYY DOWN!

Goalies are the same size. The equipment is oversized now. Miller is 175 lbs and looks about 230 lbs in the net. Look at old Sabre games. Martin would score on slapshots from right at the blue line. Doesn't happen anymore.

"It's unbelievable. It's unbelievable. It's unbelievable." NBC is NOT having a good game. At all.

Yep, it's unbelievable that this is any sort of NHL hockey game. I think it's fun for the fans of the league already in the fold, but the NHL isn't doing itself any favors by trying to pass of it's version of pro wrestling while it's announcers are trying to convince us it's anything special. I don't know which all star game looks less like the real thing, the NFL or NHL.

GO SABRES!!!

Keep in mind the NHL season is STILL in progress - I don't think many teams would be happy seeing their stars leveled with body checks, running goalies, etc., especially now that the playoff push is on. If the ASG got the reputation for getting players injured I doubt you'd see many teams want their best players attending.

And what's the incentive for them playing hard? A few bucks vs a possible serious injury? At least there's a reason to win the baseball ASG - winning league gets home field advantage in the WS.

And did you hear the fans booing the lack of effort by the NFC in the NFL ASG later on?

I mean that Miller has given up several goals on slappers from the blue line.

Ok, right. But in general those kind of goals have gone away. If a player is coming up the ice they usually try to get in as close to the net as possible. Rico would get to the line and let it go. I'm older and I just miss that part.

And did you hear the fans booing the lack of effort by the NFC in the NFL ASG later on?

I thought they were just booing Cam Newtons performance?

my thoughts....

#1- Pominville showed well all weekend.

#2- Although All Star games leave alot to be desired (lack of defense and contact), i really like the draft "choose-up" format. It adds to the "fun" factor much more than the competitive East vs West or North America vs World formats.

#3- i really enjoy the skills competition, kind of like an NFL combine comparing players, measuring speed, accuracy, hardest shot etc....

#4- i watch alot of hockey, but was surprised how many players i never heard of before (benn, eberle, couture, edler, girardi).

#5- it seemed the comradery amongst and between the players was more evident.

#6- i thought the Ottawa fans carried the booing of Toronto players a bit too much, especially during the draft.

#7- during the customary handshake after game, i got a chuckle watching Tim Thomas and the Sedins share some laughs.

#8- Overall i was expecting not to enjoy the whole thing, but i did.

Gotta agree with #1, Pominville has been playing great all year, fans just expect more out of him and expect a different type of player then what he really is

#4 - The only ones I was unfamiliar with were Benn and Edler. Being from Canada, and following parts of the World Juniors game, I knew exactly who Eberle is and Couture is a name I have heard of from San Jose. Also, being from Welland, and wanting to see an "all Welland shift" on the Sabres with Ellis, Paille, Horton, Girardi and Bissonette, I know exactly who Girardi was too.

#6 - You can never have enough booing of Toronto players

OMFG look at how small the goalies look in the net. No wonder scoring is down. WAAAYYYY DOWN!

I was thinking the same thing, Vachon was a small guy probably as small as Enroth, but still what a difference the equipment makes, he looked like a 12 tear old in the net.

Gilbert was just awsome.

Didn't that last shot look like it hit inside the net ?

Yes ... that's my point. With better camera angles and video replay ... Gil wins that 10 grand ... a rather large sum of money back then, as now.

=====

Our own J.P. interviewed after the ASG by our own L.A.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article717451.ece

Spouting off about the team's chemistry and how he would not want one of the players from the ASG rosters added to the Sabres ... good grief.

Archived