GDT: Sabres at Leafs 12/22/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

You know what? good call with youtubing those. Pretty interesting actually, and it changed my viewpoint there.

Kassian was one of the most feared players in juniors, I'd like to think he'd hold his own. Is Phaneuf known for fighting? I know he's a big hitter, haven't seen him fight.

You know what? good call with youtubing those. Pretty interesting actually, and it changed my viewpoint there.

The guy looks crazy though. Some of those fights he's pounding the other guys halmet and just keeps going. He appears to win the majority of the fights, but then again it is junior hockey. I'd love to see him lay a beatdown on one of the Leafs.

tidbit of the day from Buffalo First:

There is a reason why the Buffalo Sabres have had such a disappointing start to the season.

No, it has nothing to do with injuries or goaltending meltdowns.

It has to do with the missing plaque honoring Seymour and Norty Knox, the team’s founding fathers.

As First Niagara Center was being built in 1996 - and shortly before Seymour Knox died - the team had a plaque honoring the two Knox brothers made and installed by the hallway near the Sabres bench. The intent was that the players would touch the plaque as they entered the ice. Many did as a good luck charm.

Because of the $10 million locker room and arena makeover this summer, the plaque was taken down and has still not been re-installed.

Sabres officials admit the plaque is sitting in office and will be installed soon in its rightful place.

Some wags believe the team’s fortunes will turn around once the plaque is re-installed, allowing Seymour and Norty to bring their divine intervention back to the Sabres.

There is a reason why the Buffalo Sabres have had such a disappointing start to the season.

It has to do with the missing plaque honoring Seymour and Norty Knox, the team’s founding fathers.

As First Niagara Center was being built in 1996 - and shortly before Seymour Knox died - the team had a plaque honoring the two Knox brothers made and installed by the hallway near the Sabres bench. The intent was that the players would touch the plaque as they entered the ice. Many did as a good luck charm.

Because of the $10 million locker room and arena makeover this summer, the plaque was taken down and has still not been re-installed.

Sabres officials admit the plaque is sitting in office and will be installed soon in its rightful place.

Some wags believe the team’s fortunes will turn around once the plaque is re-installed, allowing Seymour and Norty to bring their divine intervention back to the Sabres.

WOAH! Why are we allowing for this bad JUJU to continue?! Ted...get on this!

This and sabretooth not repelling from the rafters this year is just a recipe for the disaster that is 2011-2012

Kassian was one of the most feared players in juniors, I'd like to think he'd hold his own. Is Phaneuf known for fighting? I know he's a big hitter, haven't seen him fight.

Phaneuf fought a bit more earlier in his career in the WHL and with Calgary, he really only does it when necessary now. He's not a terrible fighter but not overly fearsome either, I always thought it was a little strange that he seems to be regarded as a really tough guy. I don't think he and Kassian will actually fight but if they did my money would easily be on Kassian even if he's mellowed out from his crazy junior days.

well, my first gdt got deleted because i started it at 10:00 pm instead of midnight. surprisingly im not as butt hurt as the mods though. i liked that little note at the top of chz's gdt. so in the tradition of saberspace the sabres will win. not because they are over due but because the gdt was started by a mod and after midnight. anyone know if the same rookies are in the game?

well, my first gdt got deleted because i started it at 10:00 pm instead of midnight. surprisingly im not as butt hurt as the mods though. i liked that little note at the top of chz's gdt. so in the tradition of saberspace the sabres will win. not because they are over due but because the gdt was started by a mod and after midnight. anyone know if the same rookies are in the game?

:doh: :doh:

to answer your question, Foligno was sent back down, and Kaleta is the only one coming back.

This and sabretooth not repelling from the rafters this year is just a recipe for the disaster that is 2011-2012

I miss him repelling down :(

Not true. I had an opportunity to tour the arena(locker room not part of tour :( ) this week, and passed by the plaque in question. In fact I took a pic of it. It is on the wall about 10 ft. away from the players bench.

PS Probably just put it back up for me! :P

Practice lines this morning:

Vanek- Roy- Pommer

Whitmore-Chewie-Stafford

Adam-Gaustad-Kaleta

Cody-Ellis-Kassian

Grags out

Reimer-Miller tonight.

FWIW, my butt don't hurt.

Ask someone about Game 7 GDT getting started the day before the game and how that worked out.

Vanek- Roy- Pommer

Whitmore-Chewie-Stafford

Adam-Gaustad-Kaleta

Cody-Ellis-Kassian

Grags out

Reimer-Miller tonight.

I like Grags being out, and I like Miller being in net. I don't like the forward lines though. I guess I will continue to be baffled by Lindy's thinking. If it works out tho, great, I won't question it again...for a while.

We need a 3rd team. I am not anywhere near ready to jump on the Team Kool-Aid bandwagon.

Well, there is Team Sanctimonious but I don't see you fitting their profile for membership. Just kick back and enjoy your free agent status. It's a long season and, depending on how things go, you won't have any trouble finding a team later on.

GO SABRES!!!

I like Grags being out, and I like Miller being in net. I don't like the forward lines though. I guess I will continue to be baffled by Lindy's thinking. If it works out tho, great, I won't question it again...for a while.

Lindy has me scratching my head as well. At the very least, get Roy off of Vanek's line and put Adam up there instead. Chz made a good point the other night when she suggested Lindy wanted two scoring lines, and I agree but if that's the best we can do, I think we're in a world of hurt.

My grasp of the obvious remains firm.

GO SABRES!!!

Vanek- Roy- Pommer

Whitmore-Chewie-Stafford

Adam-Gaustad-Kaleta

Cody-Ellis-Kassian

Grags out

Reimer-Miller tonight.

Ask someone about Game 7 GDT getting started the day before the game and how that worked out.

Strange lines indeed.

And I'm not going where I want to go with that butt don't hurt line.

Vanek- Roy- Pommer

Whitmore-Chewie-Stafford

Adam-Gaustad-Kaleta

Cody-Ellis-Kassian

I think it is clear that we have too many centers! What with having to slide Adam over to the wing. :D

Just imagine what the lines would look like if we had centers injured (not including..... Leino). EDIT: KNOCK ON WOOD

im glad kaleta is back. i really think he has improved his game a bit. he can still hit like a freight train but it seems his skating and puck handling have gotten better. however with those lines we are screwed.

I think Kaleta seems to be getting it, as far as positioning in the offensive zone. He is still the same digger/grinder on the boards, but has improved his awareness of where the puck is and where he can be to create opportunities.

Vanek- Roy- Pommer

Whitmore-Chewie-Stafford

Adam-Gaustad-Kaleta

Cody-Ellis-Kassian

Grags out

Reimer-Miller tonight.

Wow, that team just looks bad. I mean bottom of the league bad. Is it the lines or am I just realizing how little talent is on this team?

Wow...we need some positve energy here.

1st line will dominate, Stafford will start to shoot and play with more confidence, the return of Kaleta will bring some much needed energy, the defense won't turn ANY pucks over, and Miller will return to Olympic form. We will look back at today and remember; this is where the team finally turns things around and becomes the team we dreamed about all summer.

Happy Holidays and Go Sabres.

If Lindy insists again on putting Roy with Vanek I guess this is another game that Vanek gets neutralized. Like the last game. Regardless after seeing that bit in the paper today that said Lindy had a skull session with Stafford, I expect him to shoot every chance he gets tonight and low and behold walk away with a couple of goals tonight!

Archived