OK, The Time At Looking At The Division Lead

CallawaySabres

Buckle up folks because it is going to be a wild ride for the next several months. Toronto, Florida and Ottawa in the top 8 while Montreal, Washington and Tampa fall below the line? Although Enroth has done an awesome job, for some reason, my comfort level will be restored when Miller is healthy. Who wanted to run away and have no drama until April anyway?

Each game means a ton now and I am still not worried about the season YET. Now that people know this team is not going to run away with wins, they will be comfortable with the ride that they are used to over the years :unsure: . I think that by the time the new year comes along, some of these younger guys like Mcnabb are going to turn the atmosphere around. How many teams have we seen over the years hover around the 8 spot only to turn it on for the second half of the year? Pitt, Boston and let's not forget our very own team. Chemistry is still what is lacking most with these guys so even though it sucks waiting, I believe it will come....

Buckle up folks because it is going to be a wild ride for the next several months. Toronto, Florida and Ottawa in the top 8 while Montreal, Washington and Tampa fall below the line? Although Enroth has done an awesome job, for some reason, my comfort level will be restored when Miller is healthy. Who wanted to run away and have no drama until April anyway?

Each game means a ton now and I am still not worried about the season YET. Now that people know this team is not going to run away with wins, they will be comfortable with the ride that they are used to over the years :unsure: . I think that by the time the new year comes along, some of these younger guys like Mcnabb are going to turn the atmosphere around. How many teams have we seen over the years hover around the 8 spot only to turn it on for the second half of the year? Pitt, Boston and let's not forget our very own team. Chemistry is still what is lacking most with these guys so even though it sucks waiting, I believe it will come....

Wait, we're three points behind Tor.... HOLY ######, EVERYONE LOOK OUTSIDE! There's something wrong with the sky, it looks like it's getting closer to the ground!

:)

I agree with most of this. I thought we were going to cruise to a top four spot in the conference. Like you said, maybe I'll start enjoying the ride a little more by tempering my expectations. That doesn't mean the goal isn't to win the cup but let's just make the playoffs and anything can then happen. Would like to see a trade at some point to get a veteran though.

While I have no problem with our second half success I have a problem with our lack of aggression and how it might translate to the postseason. As a team we just don't seem to have the fire for more than a few minutes a game, a period at best. Oh and Enroth has done well but can we have our starter back please? Lol.

As for the rest I'm amazed at the Panthers in particular I have to say.

As long as we make the playoffs.

PTR

So you think the same Sabres that have either missed the playoffs and or made a 1st round exit every year since 07-08(some have been here the entire time, others the last year or two), can be inconsistent the entire year, and then all of a sudden the light is going to come on?? Why? Just because some other NHL team did it in the past?

Like someone else said...expectations are being lowered a lot compared to the offseason. I wonder if Pegula and Black feel the same way?

So you think the same Sabres that have either missed the playoffs and or made a 1st round exit every year since 07-08(some have been here the entire time, others the last year or two), can be inconsistent the entire year, and then all of a sudden the light is going to come on?? Why? Just because some other NHL team did it in the past?

Like someone else said...expectations are being lowered a lot compared to the offseason. I wonder if Pegula and Black feel the same way?

Reading the articles on the Bleacher report that were written at the start of the season. 'Rome wasn't built in a day'. Very good quote, worth checking out some of the older articles as their spookily true.

Only optimistic thing to think of is we may have several different players here come playoff time (if we make it) than the last couple of years. Leino has been described as clutch (although after tripping over his own stick with a chance to tie last night's game, I'm not so sure) and we never had Ehrhoff or Regehr in the past. I also would not be surpised if a guy like Kassian or McNabb stuck with the team. I would think the added motivation of being in a contract year will help Hecht, Goose and Boyes once he gets back. Once again though, we need some more outside help IMO.

I think the Buffalo fanbase can easily revert to OSP type expectations, but i'm hoping that TP/Black are not happy with the product on the ice thus far.

My main point to this was that I believe Tampa, Montreal and Washington are going to jump to the top 8 at some point so 3 teams currently there will have to drop out. Philly, Boston, NY and Pitt are not going anywhere in my opinion so the parity that seems to have finally arrived in the NHL is going to make it anyone's game from here on out.....

While I have no problem with our second half success I have a problem with our lack of aggression and how it might translate to the postseason. As a team we just don't seem to have the fire for more than a few minutes a game, a period at best. Oh and Enroth has done well but can we have our starter back please? Lol.

As for the rest I'm amazed at the Panthers in particular I have to say.

Why? Didn't they send out letters to all of their STHs admitting that they were terrible, then apologizing for it, then saying they were going to do everything possible to get better?

That's a much different admission than,"The Sabres have two of the top 20 centers in the entire league".

Why? Didn't they send out letters to all of their STHs admitting that they were terrible, then apologizing for it, then saying they were going to do everything possible to get better?

That's a much different admission than,"The Sabres have two of the top 20 centers in the entire league".

Who said that?...

Seriously, who is claiming we have good centers?

Wait, we're three points behind Tor.... HOLY ######, EVERYONE LOOK OUTSIDE! There's something wrong with the sky, it looks like it's getting closer to the ground!

:)

how close we are to toronto doesn't concern me. we finished atop the division in 2010, and were man-handled by boston. as it stands, if we went into the playoffs TODAY, i would bet my next paycheck that the same would happen. we can't even beat the blue jackets or islanders; what makes you think we're gonna wake up to finish off a 7-game series against boston, florida, philly or pittsburgh, much less advance to the actual cup? nothing about how this team is playing now cries "deep playoff run."

Once again though, we need some more outside help IMO.

...and I will respond with, the time to fix the teams problems was in the offseason. They paid a good price for Regehr, Ehrhoff & Leino. So far the combined ROI for the 3 has been poor.

Add a 3rd/4th liner or a 5-6-7 dman at the deadline if you must, but if they need anything more than that, they will #1...pay through the nose, and # 2...DR has not shown the ability to find a piece that fits at the deadline in years past(Moore, Torres & Boyes are the most recent examples).

???

The team is still lacking a #1 center (and the expectations were that they were even after Leino was signed).

It was expected that the D (even w/ staying healthy) would take at least 1/4 of the season to gel.

The team is still lacking grit on the top 2 lines.

If the D ever gets healthy again, that issue can be resolved. The 1st and 3rd issues might get resolved via a trade this year. The 3rd issue will get mitigated when some of the kids on the farm are NHL ready.

Through 20 games, this team is where it needs to be to get to the post-season. It is not where it needs to be to win a championship. If heading into training camp the expectation was that 20 games into this season the team would be where it needed to be to win a championship, then expectations were unrealistic.

Based on how the squad has played recently with all the injuries, it is likely they'll be a bit behind where they need to be at the 30 game mark. Which, while troublesome, isn't fatal. (Being behind where they need to be at the 82 game mark would be far more troublesome. And THAT would and should be unexpected.)

The players should be getting evaluated daily by management. The GM should be evaluated at season's end. The goal is to win multiple Stanley Cups.

I believe it was from the end of the 09-10 season.

So he would be referring to Roy and Connolly? Yikes. :doh:

Yes and yes. And he was lampooned for it.

So the Sabres weren't able to turn this roster into a Presidents Tropy winning, Stanley Cup contending team at the quarter pole of the season following their first trade deadline and offseason? Let's burn down the five years of work it took to get us to this point and start over.

Archived