OK, The Time At Looking At The Division Lead

CallawaySabres

Yes and yes. And he was lampooned for it.

So the Sabres weren't able to turn this roster into a Presidents Tropy winning, Stanley Cup contending team at the quarter pole of the season following their first 13th trade deadline and offseason? Let's burn down the five years of work it took to get us to this point and start over.

fixed

:devil:

One more thing...

The Head Coach should be evaluated at season's end.

;)

Well, he should be (and I'd be shocked if he isn't) getting evaluated throughout the season. (Not just at the end of the year.) I don't see him on the hot seat currently though for several reasons and intentionally left him out of the post you quoted.

???

The team is still lacking a #1 center (and the expectations were that they were even after Leino was signed).

It was expected that the D (even w/ staying healthy) would take at least 1/4 of the season to gel.

The team is still lacking grit on the top 2 lines.

If the D ever gets healthy again, that issue can be resolved. The 1st and 3rd issues might get resolved via a trade this year. The 3rd issue will get mitigated when some of the kids on the farm are NHL ready.

Through 20 games, this team is where it needs to be to get to the post-season. It is not where it needs to be to win a championship. If heading into training camp the expectation was that 20 games into this season the team would be where it needed to be to win a championship, then expectations were unrealistic.

Based on how the squad has played recently with all the injuries, it is likely they'll be a bit behind where they need to be at the 30 game mark. Which, while troublesome, isn't fatal. (Being behind where they need to be at the 82 game mark would be far more troublesome. And THAT would and should be unexpected.)

The players should be getting evaluated daily by management. The GM should be evaluated at season's end. The goal is to win multiple Stanley Cups.

Nice, what he said, especially the bolded part.

This team is still in decent position to get to the playoffs. It was known here earlier in the season that it would take time to gel/etc./whatever you want to call it, and so hoping to get in the W column any way we could was good. And, the first 15 games or so, they were doing just that.

I am not worried. I'm in the Eleven "patience" camp. If they don't get some progress going by Christmas, though, we could see the team wear itself out just to make the playoffs, then get outlasted in Round 1, as I believe we've seen the past two years.

???

The team is still lacking a #1 center (and the expectations were that they were even after Leino was signed).

It was expected that the D (even w/ staying healthy) would take at least 1/4 of the season to gel.

The team is still lacking grit on the top 2 lines.

If the D ever gets healthy again, that issue can be resolved. The 1st and 3rd issues might get resolved via a trade this year. The 3rd issue will get mitigated when some of the kids on the farm are NHL ready.

Through 20 games, this team is where it needs to be to get to the post-season. It is not where it needs to be to win a championship. If heading into training camp the expectation was that 20 games into this season the team would be where it needed to be to win a championship, then expectations were unrealistic.

Based on how the squad has played recently with all the injuries, it is likely they'll be a bit behind where they need to be at the 30 game mark. Which, while troublesome, isn't fatal. (Being behind where they need to be at the 82 game mark would be far more troublesome. And THAT would and should be unexpected.)

The players should be getting evaluated daily by management. The GM should be evaluated at season's end. The goal is to win multiple Stanley Cups.

Thanks for injecting some rational thinking into the conversation. I remember many of us around here were expecting all the new pieces to take some time to come together, some even until the early months of 2012. I think the rash of injuries have postponed the cohesiveness that we were looking for.

fortunately, the team is not in a fatal hole in terms of playoff chances hitting the 1/4 mark of the season.

After reading many posts here it seems as if I agree with most. Just to start off with Boston was 3-7 at the start. Now they play like it's the playoffs. At that speed they will be to banged up to do much. They also manhadle us a lot and it drives me crazy to think about that. I think with McNabb and Kassian brought up they do have a toughness about them now. I'm not saying that because the Zack fight either, but he plays the part of a team that will not tolerate another guy getting pushed around. It showed me that he meant business and it's something I have not seen in the Sabres in a while. In order for the Sabres to be competitive they must get stronger against teams like Boston but have that scoring itch in them. I do not see the Sabres going to the cup but if they keep McNabb and Kassian around it will be harder for a boston team to push the Sabres around. In my opinion I feel that Sekera should be sent down to Rochester over McNabb. Sekera does not impress me and he does not show enough toughness.

After reading many posts here it seems as if I agree with most. Just to start off with Boston was 3-7 at the start. Now they play like it's the playoffs. At that speed they will be to banged up to do much. They also manhadle us a lot and it drives me crazy to think about that. I think with McNabb and Kassian brought up they do have a toughness about them now. I'm not saying that because the Zack fight either, but he plays the part of a team that will not tolerate another guy getting pushed around. It showed me that he meant business and it's something I have not seen in the Sabres in a while. In order for the Sabres to be competitive they must get stronger against teams like Boston but have that scoring itch in them. I do not see the Sabres going to the cup but if they keep McNabb and Kassian around it will be harder for a boston team to push the Sabres around. In my opinion I feel that Sekera should be sent down to Rochester over McNabb. Sekera does not impress me and he does not show enough toughness.

McNabb and Kassian both need to spend the year in the AHL. Their presence isn't going to put the Sabres over the top this year, so there is no reason for them to be in the NHL instead of the AHL, where they can play big minutes, and fine tune their game.

McNabb and Kassian both need to spend the year in the AHL. Their presence isn't going to put the Sabres over the top this year, so there is no reason for them to be in the NHL instead of the AHL, where they can play big minutes, and fine tune their game.

Yep. Especially Kassian. He still has pretty big holes in his game that would be taken advantage of by a playoff opponent. McNabb seems more ready but the rest of the season in thwe "A" will only do him better.

This team lost to Columbus and the Islanders in the same week span and scored a total of 2 goals in those games. Sorry but there is nothing about THIS team that sets it apart from years past. They still lose frequently to the cellar dwellers and they don't chase anyone out of the buidling on home ice. They don't even win much on home ice. This team has some nice pieces but it's going nowhere as usual...and I'm bummed.

Archived