GDT: Sabres at Canadiens 11/14/11 7:00PM

spndnchz

You're missing the point. Beating the bottom feeders doesn't do us any good if we can't beat the good teams in the playoffs. Beating playoff teams in-season is much more important than racking up points against the dregs. Doing that would just make us...the Washington Capitals, actually.

We're on the same page generally. You won't get any argument from me that not every win is born equal.

My point is that you have to beat the bad and average teams consistently to even be in the discussion for contender, so as a fan I don't shrug my shoulder at wins or losses in games like tonight's. The results may seem inconsequential in comparison to Saturday's embarrassment, but in a league where a small handful of points can make a hefty difference at year's end no win is unimportant.

You are right about this. My point was simply that I won't be impressed by wins or physical play against these lesser opponents. I need to see the Sabres answer the bell when they play a good team -- especially the teams that knocked them out of the playoffs -- ie when they should be loaded for bear.

That makes it sting so much more. I traveled 500 miles to see Game 6 last year. Every loss to Philly will remind me of that :censored: :wallbash: :death: game.

Game 7 was objectively worse, but at least it was less sisyphean.

Let's hope the great white hype isn't -2 again.

I agree that there is too much hype about him and his effect on the game, but he didn't do too badly in his last game. Also, IIRC, he fought when someone took a shot at the Sabres' goalie after the whistle.

For a team exposed as gutless, he helps.

We're on the same page generally. You won't get any argument from me that not every win is born equal.

My point is that you have to beat the bad and average teams consistently to even be in the discussion for contender, so as a fan I don't shrug my shoulder at wins or losses in games like tonight's. The results may seem inconsequential in comparison to Saturday's embarrassment, but in a league where a small handful of points can make a hefty difference at year's end no win is unimportant.

Not to be snarky, but that's basically what I just said.

We're on the same page though. All wins are good. Some wins just mean more in the grand scheme of things when it comes to accurately gauging a team's talent and compete level.

I'd like to see the Sabres run Price tonight, just to send a message to the rest of the league that the Shanahan decision is insufficient. It's the only reasonable thing to do.

Long term....I can see Miller getting jeered more in opposing arenas where there are aware fans. It will be interesting to see how that develops. Good thing he isn't in tonight.

The Sabres HAVE to respond somehow. This is the sort of crisis in confidence that costs people jobs or ruins seasons. I wouldn't be shocked to see 3-4 fights tonight. I just can't see them floating tonight.

I'd like to see the Sabres run Price tonight, just to send a message to the rest of the league that the Shanahan decision is insufficient. It's the only reasonable thing to do.

Aww but I like Price ... can't we wait for Emery (does he still even play?) or maybe Cam Ward?

Since you only get 2 minutes for head hunting a star goalie in the league and giving him a concussion, the question is why wouldn't you run Price? There is no downside.

Archived