TheSabres first 10 games ...

notwoz

I'm looking at the first 10 games on the schedule and I see a pretty rough road:

Two games in Europe, followed by a game at home against the 'Canes and four games on the road (Pens, Habs, Panthers and Lightning) then three at home. Lest anyone misconstrue my feelings, I'm totally psyched about the Sabres this year and am looking forward to a very satisfying year. However, this looks like a pretty tough way to start the season -- go overseas, get discombobulated, and play two games. Come back home and get discombobulated again for one game, then go out on the road for four games. Any it's not like the opponents are pushover (Pens, Habs, Lightning). All this is on top of a relatively short training camp andthe need to make sure that a number of key additions will be able to mesh with the current roster (whatever that will look like) and blend in with the "system."

As I suggested earlier, I am expecting a great season from the Sabres, but I do think the start could be a little rough. Any thoughts?

Good thread and a valid concern. The overhaul on D in particular will make for a few dicey moments not just in the 1st 10 games but in the first 25 or so.

Still, I think the Sabres will be much improved on D relative to the beginning of last year. And Miller will be PO'd and playing like he has something to prove.

My early benchmark game will be that one @Pens. Even without Sid, they give the Sabres fits. Like to see how the new D toys work out.

Agree. My two bellwethers are the Pens and the Habs. I'm hoping the team isn't much worse than .500 after the first 10. I think it will take 10-20 game for the team to get into a groove and the new parts to gel.

Agree. My two bellwethers are the Pens and the Habs. I'm hoping the team isn't much worse than .500 after the first 10. I think it will take 10-20 game for the team to get into a groove and the new parts to gel.

It'll take time, I agree.

10-20? What area are you leaning closer to, 10 games or more 20?

I'll take more towards 20.

Home/Away and out of country games, back to backs as well as a few days off, itll help this squad.

I'm not too worried about their chemistry going in. Sometimes players play best before they even develop too much chemistry with each other. I think that's part of the reason Lindy juggles his lines so much. We've seen countless players come in over the years, via call-ups Portland/Rochester or players brought in via trade, that have an immediate impact before tailing off. I just think sometimes a fresh look is a good thing.

But anyway I expect these guys to feed off all the excitement surrounding them and have a memorable start to the season. Sure... 10-0 is probably a pipe dream, but I think they will impress to start the season before coming down to earth in a few weeks... when they start going through some growing pains. :thumbsup:

I don't see the discombobulation as severe as notwoz fears. I'm assuming they will have a couple days before the season opener; they will be adjusted to the time zone at least as well as their opponents. I don't see that as a disadvantage at all.

Going on the road early on will be a good way for Lindy to get the team focused and honed. Maybe they won't come away with a lot of points, but they will come out of it as a unit that is working well together. Away games early in the season are a good thing in my opinion; they minimize the distractions of hearth and home and help the team gel.

Ain't skeered. :pirate:

It'll take time, I agree.

10-20? What area are you leaning closer to, 10 games or more 20?

I'll take more towards 20.

Home/Away and out of country games, back to backs as well as a few days off, itll help this squad.

I guess I'm a bit more optimistic, I think it'll be closer to 10 games than 20. I also think (based on nothing more than a gut feeling) that they'll collect 10 points in those first 10 games. I hope that six of those points come against the Pens, Habs and 'Canes.

• 1 month later...

Well, they're 6-4 after 10 games -- and they have two points more than I thought they would have at this point. But the surprise for me is the sorry home record 2-3. I honestly thought they would have bigger problems on the road.

I'm still concerned that the team hasn't jelled yet -- if the past few games have been any indication. I sure hope they get their stuff together soon.

After 10 games:

-Top line has been good. The other 3 lines could use some tinkering.

-Goaltending, overall, has been good. People may gripe about Miller, but his stats are good despite only being 4-4.

-Leino needs to be benched, to hopefully light a fire in his @$$. I know it probably won't happen because of his salary, but he has been lousy. Ellis comes in, and outperforms him, for far less money. Leino wasn't expected to light the lamp, but he hasn't created or contributed at all.

-Defense has been decent. Regehr is a BEAST. Sekera has definitely improved. Myers could be doing much more. Grags hasn't done enough to justify why Weber is still on the pine.

-Vanek has played like an All-Star.

-Roy and Stafford have barely existed.

After 10 games:

-Top line has been good. The other 3 lines could use some tinkering.

-Goaltending, overall, has been good. People may gripe about Miller, but his stats are good despite only being 4-4.

-Leino needs to be benched, to hopefully light a fire in his @$$. I know it probably won't happen because of his salary, but he has been lousy. Ellis comes in, and outperforms him, for far less money. Leino wasn't expected to light the lamp, but he hasn't created or contributed at all.

-Defense has been decent. Regehr is a BEAST. Sekera has definitely improved. Myers could be doing much more. Grags hasn't done enough to justify why Weber is still on the pine.

-Vanek has played like an All-Star.

-Roy and Stafford have barely existed.

I agree with most of this but the bolded. Before I address that, I would like to point out that your assessment of the Leino situation with Ellis in there out-performing him, is right on. However, I would also like to point out that that previous Ruff-ne'er-do-wells have achieved "success" outside of the Sabres organization: Paille, MacArthur, and even Dominic Moore. The more I think of it, the less inclined I am to blame Leino directly right now.

Anyway, Stafford has indeed existed. He is hitting, and he has definitely increased his effort. His line-mates have NOT helped him in any way.

now.

Anyway, Stafford has indeed existed. He is hitting, and he has definitely increased his effort. His line-mates have NOT helped him in any way.

Agree with this, stats arent there but he hasnt played bad. Same could be said about roy to a degree. He seems to be getting a little better each game.

We have a good team when everyone shows up to play. When they don't, they look really bad.

Plusses:

-Regehr is what we hoped for.

-Grags has the occasional brain fart but has looked promising otherwise.

-Goose looks rejuvenated.

-Gerbe is all effort all the time.

-Vanek is off to a great start.

-Good games out of Enroth.

-Sekera looks stronger. He also hasn't been noticeable, which is a sign of mistake free hockey.

Minuses:

-Ehrhoff isn't finding any chemistry with anyone. It's not for a lack of effort, he's just not on the same wavelength with the rest of the team and it shows.

-Leino is incredibly soft. Again, the effort is there in his skating, but there's no territoriality in his game. I could beat him on the boards right now.

-Tyler Myers is completely off his game. He's trying way too hard and it's leading to a lot of mistakes. He needs to simplify his game and work on making some better passes and taking the body in the defensive zone. The offense will come.

-Stafford is just streaky again. I just want to see him put the team on his back and take some personal responsibility. I know he can.

-The Power Play still sucks. Need to get more pucks to the net from the half walls.

-Brad Boyes hasn't worked well. But he's coming on on the 3rd line. Eh.

-Physical Play has been lacking. This team needs to win battles.

Archived