TheSabres first 10 games ...

notwoz

-Brad Boyes hasn't worked well. But he's coming on on the 3rd line. Eh.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but I simply don't understand how you can say this.

Boyes has been making some solid hits, and his effort has improved. He has points already. I think he's finally coming around, myself.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but I simply don't understand how you can say this.

Boyes has been making some solid hits, and his effort has improved. He has points already. I think he's finally coming around, myself.

I guess I'm not really complaining, I think I'm just disappointed that he had to be demoted so low before something started happening. I expected more from him. I think Lindy's recent line combo for him has benefitted him.

Nice analysis from everyone and I agree with most points. Anyone want to predict the next ten? Here is the schedule:

VS Philly

VS Calgary

AT Ottawa

VS Winnipeg

VS Ottawa

At Boston

AT Montreal

VS New Jersey

AT Carolina

VS Pheonix

As rough as bad as we've been lately, I say we still go 6-3-1 over the next ten. What say you?

I'm not thrilled with the first 10 games mainly due to the inconsistency. The Sabres dominate at times and then look completely awful at other times. Maybe the new roster needs time to gel.

-Vanek is off to a great start.

There's no way to overstate this part. The guy is playing out of his mind - 8 goals in his first 10 games and on track for over 120 points this season (no, he won't have 120 points this season but that's his pace right now).

If we had one more line even half as effective as Pom-Adam-Vanek ("Thomas and Friends" per Rick Jeannerret), we'd be 8-2 right now. Hopefully Roy keeps getting stronger coming back from his injury.

I guess I'm not really complaining, I think I'm just disappointed that he had to be demoted so low before something started happening. I expected more from him. I think Lindy's recent line combo for him has benefitted him.

I don't necessarily disagree, however, as I said about Leino recently, I wonder if it's Ruff's handling of these players that's the issue. There are examples of pine-riders doing well once they went to other teams.

However, I would also like to point out that that previous Ruff-ne'er-do-wells have achieved "success" outside of the Sabres organization: Paille, MacArthur, and even Dominic Moore.

1) Paille's best years statistically, by far, were in Buffalo. He was a role player on a Stanley Cup team, but that doesn't mean he was any better there than here.

2) MacArthur was good here, but inconsistent. He was the same, possibly worse (though, on a worse team) in Atlanta. It wasn't until he was put on Toronto's top line (they didn't have many options at the time) that he found some consistency, mostly in setting up goals (about the same in scoring them.) He went from being a young, inconsistent forward to a couple year older and more experienced player who found some consistency. Not exactly surprising and probably not any different than what would have happened to him here after two more years under Ruff.

3) Moore did everything well here that he's done everywhere else (high energy, good PKer, etc.) except for the offense, but that was mostly attributed to the wrist injury that he had in his first or second game. I actually wanted them to re-sign him after the season.

Lindy skated the team hard in practice today. Sounds like he saw what most of us saw on Saturday: a lack of effort.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=3617

Excerpt:

“We kind of expected it. There’s a couple of days before our next game. Coming off a day off, and let’s be honest, a pretty poor effort on our part, I think we needed to get back to basics. That comes with hard work and compete.” -Captain Pommers

I'm not thrilled with the first 10 games mainly due to the inconsistency. The Sabres dominate at times and then look completely awful at other times. Maybe the new roster needs time to gel.

There's no way to overstate this part. The guy is playing out of his mind - 8 goals in his first 10 games and on track for over 120 points this season (no, he won't have 120 points this season but that's his pace right now).

If we had one more line even half as effective as Pom-Adam-Vanek ("Thomas and Friends" per Rick Jeannerret), we'd be 8-2 right now. Hopefully Roy keeps getting stronger coming back from his injury.

If we had a good coach, he wouldn't have split up our top line. Just got word of it

If we had a good coach, he wouldn't have split up our top line. Just got word of it

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I'll play along just for lack of better things to do for the moment...

This just in: the team as a whole is just not producing or getting the job done. two players have combined for 29 points. Ruff has already tinkered with the lines, as he put Boyes up with them on the PP, and, hey, whadaya know? Boyes amasses points. It doesn't matter who is there the two of them right now...those two are operating at a high enough level that they'll make anyone play better right now, and honestly, it'd be smart of Ruff to move Leino up to try to jump start him.

If Adam moves down, and it motivates him, then, WOAH! it's a win-win!

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I'll play along just for lack of better things to do for the moment...

This just in: the team as a whole is just not producing or getting the job done. two players have combined for 29 points. Ruff has already tinkered with the lines, as he put Boyes up with them on the PP, and, hey, whadaya know? Boyes amasses points. It doesn't matter who is there the two of them right now...those two are operating at a high enough level that they'll make anyone play better right now, and honestly, it'd be smart of Ruff to move Leino up to try to jump start him.

If Adam moves down, and it motivates him, then, WOAH! it's a win-win!

You just wasted so much of your own time. Here you have presented a post full of content that shows your ability to reason and think critically. You started with a little nugget of thought, developed that thought into a little string, and then put it all together for us to read.

Unfortunately, our comrade here is neither capable of comprehending posts of this literary and scholarly magnitude, or of writing any of his own.

Of course the potential is there, but I'm not going to put money on this horse if I'm at OTB.

You just wasted so much of your own time. Here you have presented a post full of content that shows your ability to reason and think critically. You started with a little nugget of thought, developed that thought into a little string, and then put it all together for us to read.

Unfortunately, our comrade here is neither capable of comprehending posts of this literary and scholarly magnitude, or of writing any of his own.

Of course the potential is there, but I'm not going to put money on this horse if I'm at OTB.

received good sir... :beer:

Are you like a stalker? You're on here replying to posts that don't need your input withing a minute.

If he had a new coach he'd do fine.

Nice analysis from everyone and I agree with most points. Anyone want to predict the next ten? Here is the schedule:

VS Philly - L

VS Calgary - W

AT Ottawa - W

VS Winnipeg - L (ot)

VS Ottawa - L

At Boston - L

AT Montreal - W

VS New Jersey - L

AT Carolina - W

VS Pheonix - L

As rough as bad as we've been lately, I say we still go 6-3-1 over the next ten. What say you?

4-5-1 apologies for the crappy prediction and I hope I am very wrong.

We play a decent game against Philly but lose because we are reeling from our crappy play of late.

We beat calgary because we add Enroth, Weber, and possibly ennis back to the lineup giving us a spark.

We beat Ottawa because we feel good after Calgary and are on the road so life is better.

We come home and freak out again losing a tough game to Winnipeg in OT

We play Ottawa at home and because we beat them earlier, we figure we can but we lose do to lack of effort

We go to boston and get unlucky and face good Tim Thomas and a determined Boston forecheck.

Montreal - We beat them because we just got off a 2 game losing streak and we feel motivated

New Jersey - We lose because of taking this team for granted and not playing hard enough

Carolina - Beat them at home because they should not have won the game here, at this point this team is finally starting to even out.

Phoenix - Lose a close game but it was well played so things are looking up.

totally forgot in all this to post my thoughts...I'd have to agree with Derrico that we go 5-4-1...maybe 5-3-2...I couldn't decide between OT losses or regular losses for Boston and Philly...hmmm...

I think there are too many games in there that can go either way. The next game against Philly is a great example. Maybe Bryz comes out fired up and blanks us? Or maybe he throws another clunker? That could turn out to be a massive statement win for this team, especially if the line experiments click and Lindy's kick in the rear gets the team going as a whole.

The Phily game could easily set the tone for the next 10.

I think there are too many games in there that can go either way. The next game against Philly is a great example. Maybe Bryz comes out fired up and blanks us? Or maybe he throws another clunker? That could turn out to be a massive statement win for this team, especially if the line experiments click and Lindy's kick in the rear gets the team going as a whole.

The Phily game could easily set the tone for the next 10.

Very very true...I'd love to see us (realistically) go 6-3-1...I'd absolutely love 10-0...but realistically speaking lol

1) Paille's best years statistically, by far, were in Buffalo. He was a role player on a Stanley Cup team, but that doesn't mean he was any better there than here.

2) MacArthur was good here, but inconsistent. He was the same, possibly worse (though, on a worse team) in Atlanta. It wasn't until he was put on Toronto's top line (they didn't have many options at the time) that he found some consistency, mostly in setting up goals (about the same in scoring them.) He went from being a young, inconsistent forward to a couple year older and more experienced player who found some consistency. Not exactly surprising and probably not any different than what would have happened to him here after two more years under Ruff.

3) Moore did everything well here that he's done everywhere else (high energy, good PKer, etc.) except for the offense, but that was mostly attributed to the wrist injury that he had in his first or second game. I actually wanted them to re-sign him after the season.

Whatever the narratives (read: excuses) are, they didn't go over well here in Buffalo. And I think if you were to ask every one of these three, they'd say they're doing better outside of Buffalo.

The only point I'm making here is one that is far from a new idea; Ruff is somehow not handling these people correctly. I won't go so far as to say he's ruining them, in fact, if you consider what I'm saying, clearly these players got at least a little something out of being in the Sabres' system (well, maybe not Moore so much). Adding to this, you'd think, or at least I think, that they would be able to identify people who can handle being under Ruff by now - I hope Leino is just turing into a longer term project than we thought (but maybe not the Sabres brass).

I guess we'll see with these line changes. And we'll see in Boyes how effective Ruff's handling can be - because I think Boyes has really picked it up lately.

Archived