Which prospect will play the most games this year?

nfreeman

Which one of the kids will force his way into the lineup?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. The Sabres seem to have quite a few good prospects. They also have a pretty good amount of depth at the NHL level. Which youngster is going to force his way into the Sabres' lineup for the most games this year? (Forwards first, then D)

• Luke Adam
    • Marcus Foligno
    • Zack Kassian
  2. 2. Which defenseman will get into the Sabres' lineup for the most games this year? (NB I am not including Gragnani or Morrisson -- this is for young Amerks prospects only.)

• TJ Brennan
    • Brayden McNabb
    • Dennis Persson
    • Drew Schiestel
    • None of the above 4 will play a single game for the Sabres this year.

I voted Adam and Persson (I kinda think Morrissonn will be traded, leaving the Sabres with 7 NHL defensemen, and it's quite possible that at least once during the season, 2 of them will be out at the same time. Persson is the oldest out of the D prospects and a former 1st-round pick, and I've read some positive items about him recently, so I can see him getting the first shot at it.)

This is basically making a gamble about which forward position is going to lose the most man-games to injury as each of those forwards predominantly play a different position. I suppose one could get called up and a vet moved to an alternate position to make room.

I'll go with Luke Adam because he plays center (which we are thin at) and left wing. And I don't think any of those D-men see significant time in the bigs this season, maybe a game or two here and there.

At forward I see Kassian spending the most time up to see how his style affects the rest of the line-up. At D, even if Morrissonn doesn't get traded he'd still be vulnerable to recall waivers, and he might be more attractive to other teams at $1M than $2M and we'd be stuck with the $1M cap hit. Therefore I see whoever is having the best season in Rochester (damn it feels good to write that) getting called up first, and my pick for that is McNabb.

I voted for Adam and Brennan. I still believe that unless Kassian has experienced a huge maturity growth in the off-season, he will not sniff a Sabres uniform in 11-12 unless there is a huge rash of injuries. Adam will either make the team out of camp or be the first forward called up. There is not a lot of competition in the forward ranks on the farm, especially if the Sabres need an injury replacement for one of their scoring forwards.

As far as Brennan goes, it is wishful thinking on my part. He is clearly next on the pecking order based on potential and where he was drafted, but if you see Schiestel, Crawford, Persson or McNabb called up before him, it is probably a good sign of him slipping in the eyes of Regier, Ruff & Co.

Hands down Luke Adam for the forwards. As someone already mentioned, he can play C, and LW. I would love to see Kassian in Buffalo this year though. As for defense, I think its up in the air. I voted for Persson, only because he is older, and in my opinion more NHL ready.

I honestly dont see Morrisson getting traded prior to the start of the season, and I honestly hope he doesn't. As long as he is willing to spend time in Rochester. (I too love the sound of that!) He might be valuable in the event of injuries, or our defense not meeting expectations.

I voted for Adam and Brennan. I still believe that unless Kassian has experienced a huge maturity growth in the off-season, he will not sniff a Sabres uniform in 11-12 unless there is a huge rash of injuries. Adam will either make the team out of camp or be the first forward called up. There is not a lot of competition in the forward ranks on the farm, especially if the Sabres need an injury replacement for one of their scoring forwards.

As far as Brennan goes, it is wishful thinking on my part. He is clearly next on the pecking order based on potential and where he was drafted, but if you see Schiestel, Crawford, Persson or McNabb called up before him, it is probably a good sign of him slipping in the eyes of Regier, Ruff & Co.

Schiestel and Brennan were taken in the same round, 28 picks apart, so there probably isn't too much difference there in terms of their perceived potential. Where they were selected shouldn't really matter all that much anyway, especially when comparing players from year to year. Each draft is going to have varying levels of depth. Hell, Perrson was the 1st rounder the year before those two, so by those standards alone, he should be that higher level guy.

Schiestel and Brennan were taken in the same round, 28 picks apart, so there probably isn't too much difference there in terms of their perceived potential. Where they were selected shouldn't really matter all that much anyway, especially when comparing players from year to year. Each draft is going to have varying levels of depth. Hell, Perrson was the 1st rounder the year before those two, so by those standards alone, he should be that higher level guy.

Damn...nice job of dissecting my post. <_< I just hope that Brennan gets a shot. WTF.

Damn...nice job of dissecting my post. <_< I just hope that Brennan gets a shot. WTF.

Long story short (ok, short story even shorter), I don't see too much of a difference between Brennan and Schiestel on the depth chart. The one big mystery there will be Schiestel's knee.

Adam, for sure. He is the most NHL ready. I would expect both Kassian and Folignio to get short stints at some point. Ruff and DR seem to like to throw a bone to the top prospects if they are playing well in ROCHESTER (Yeah! No more erasing Rochester and having to type Portland!)

On D - I think its a toss up. My head says Schiestel - he was on fire last year and supposedly the cream of the crop. My heart says Brennan, though. To my eyes, he looked the best in preseason last year. He is a big, thick body with a heavy shot from the point and a steadily improving defensive game.

Since my wallet is not impacted, I voted with my heart.

I'll go with Kassian. There are more wingers in the game hence the likelihood one will get hurt and someone will get called up. FTR I don't want to see him up here. I'd rather he gets tons of experience this year and part of next year in Rachacha.

The typical Darcy MO is to pull him up for a few games to get the taste.

Agree with this. Adam will be a solid choice for a third or fourth line centr if need be. Kassian needs to grow up a good bit, but if we need a bit of bruising and toughness, might look to him.

I think Corey Tropp and Drew Schiestel. Tropp's going to surprise some as a third and fourth liner with some skill.

Still think Adam along with a couple others end up in Ottawa before Christmas.

For Spezza? Interesting. (I don't think Ottawa has anyone else worth trading a top prospect for.)

I think Adam is a lock and I agree that Schiestel will get a look.

A lock to make the roster on opening day? So he'll be in the top 12 forwards? So who gets moved and who gets benched?

Leino-Vanek-Stafford

Roy-Ennis-Boyes

Hecht-Pommer-Gerbe

Gaustad-McCormick-Kaleta

extra: Kotalik

Even if Kotalik is sent down to Rochester, they'd still have to bench or trade somebody. I suppose if Adam plays well enough in camp, they could healthy-scratch McCormick (I don't see anyone else who they would healthy-scratch). Less likely but possible is trading Hecht or Boyes.

Still, if they traded Hecht, started Adam between Pommer and Gerbe and kept Kotalik as an extra forward, I'd look forward to seeing that lineup.

After dismissing the idea as recently as a month ago, I'm starting to think Adam actually has a chance of being a regular this year.

He's shown he can dominate in the AHL, he has nearly 20 games of NHL experience, he's been in Buffalo all summer working his ass off, he plays our weakest position, and he's the worn the C while looking great with the prospect squad.

I think the team may be hoping he forces his way on to the roster with a good training camp, allowing them to dump Boyes for picks to clear salary cap room.

On D, it'll just be circumstances — whoever is playing best, or is the best fit skill-wise when the injury bug hits.

A lock to make the roster on opening day? So he'll be in the top 12 forwards? So who gets moved and who gets benched?

Leino-Vanek-Stafford

Roy-Ennis-Boyes

Hecht-Pommer-Gerbe

Gaustad-McCormick-Kaleta

extra: Kotalik

Even if Kotalik is sent down to Rochester, they'd still have to bench or trade somebody. I suppose if Adam plays well enough in camp, they could healthy-scratch McCormick (I don't see anyone else who they would healthy-scratch). Less likely but possible is trading Hecht or Boyes.

Still, if they traded Hecht, started Adam between Pommer and Gerbe and kept Kotalik as an extra forward, I'd look forward to seeing that lineup.

I think the local guy stealing money to build his own ice rink could easily be the scratch out of that group. That would leave him more time to hide in the secret underground lair he's going to have in that Springville complex.

I think the local guy stealing money to build his own ice rink could easily be the scratch out of that group. That would leave him more time to hide in the secret underground lair he's going to have in that Springville complex.

Sticky fingers or no, I don't see Patty getting healthy-scratched, at least not regularly. He's a good player, he has a unique skill set that adds a lot to the team and Lindy likes him. I think McCormick is more likely.

This made me giggle, wondering if somewhere GoDD has some sort of radar going off, calling him back to argue about this ...

Sticky fingers or no, I don't see Patty getting healthy-scratched, at least not regularly. He's a good player, he has a unique skill set that adds a lot to the team and Lindy likes him. I think McCormick is more likely.

I remind you guys of this just because I always need to remind myself ... someone will be hurt. Someone always is. (And it is often Kaleta, FWIW) ...

Archived