More Pegula Talk

sabres1970

Very good article, didn't see it posted. Loved What Lindy said to Terry about winning now. Oct. 7 couldn't come sooner.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/bucky-gleason/article528785.ece

[Pegula] on [Regehr, Ehrhoff, and Leino]: "One thing I like about these guys is that they all lost in a Game Seven of the Stanley Cup finals. That has to be pretty good motivation for them."

It hadn't occurred to me until reading Bucky's column that this was the case. Odd, but interesting bit of trivia.

[Pegula] on [Regehr, Ehrhoff, and Leino]: "One thing I like about these guys is that they all lost in a Game Seven of the Stanley Cup finals. That has to be pretty good motivation for them."

It hadn't occurred to me until reading Bucky's column that this was the case. Odd, but interesting bit of trivia.

When I saw that I thought it was sadistically genius. We got guys who should be pretty miserable to play against when they get back to the finals! :thumbsup:

Or they'll all choke in the games that matter.

Maybe, but the way I read it, it also puts the slackers on notice :

Perform in the big games, or else.

That said, the biggest slacker of them all, even though he didn't lose a game 7 last season, is gone.

That alone is a pretty strong message.

And very cool that Pegula knew it.

I feel like that window has pretty much passed by now for Regehr. 7 years is a long time. Well, then there's the fact that Leino has never actually played in game 7 of the finals. He never dressed beyond game 4 of the 2009 finals. He barely played in the playoffs at all this season.

So yeah, it's a nice talking point, but I don't think there's much to it.

I feel like that window has pretty much passed by now for Regehr. 7 years is a long time. Well, then there's the fact that Leino has never actually played in game 7 of the finals. He never dressed beyond game 4 of the 2009 finals. He barely played in the playoffs at all this season.

So yeah, it's a nice talking point, but I don't think there's much to it.

Seven years healed the wounds? You think Lindy is over 1999? I'm not. Are you? (not because if the controversy, just in general losing the final.) And Leino may not have played game 7 but he still saw the Cup given to his opponent on his home ice in Game 6 in 2010 in a game he had 2 assists and was a plus-2 ... I mean, that still hurts, no?

I am not saying I put a TON of weight in what Pegula is saying, because it depends on the guy ... at the end of the day, either a guy has that fire and drive and will to win or he doesn't, and it's probably not going to appear from nowhere just because he lost in the Finals. But if we're going to give it a little weight, I don't think there is much difference between game 6 or 7 or if a few years go by. It still hurts and COULD be a motivator.

Seven years healed the wounds? You think Lindy is over 1999? I'm not. Are you? (not because if the controversy, just in general losing the final.) And Leino may not have played game 7 but he still saw the Cup given to his opponent on his home ice in Game 6 in 2010 in a game he had 2 assists and was a plus-2 ... I mean, that still hurts, no?

I am not saying I put a TON of weight in what Pegula is saying, because it depends on the guy ... at the end of the day, either a guy has that fire and drive and will to win or he doesn't, and it's probably not going to appear from nowhere just because he lost in the Finals. But if we're going to give it a little weight, I don't think there is much difference between game 6 or 7 or if a few years go by. It still hurts and COULD be a motivator.

It would be also curious to know if in his talks with the three Players Pegula or anyone on the sabres asked them about losing those games. Like in a job interview when they ask for your weaknesses or failures... Leino, Regehr and Ehrhoff seem to have something that made the sabres want them. Ehrhoff in his interview sounded very disappointed that he was traded from Vancouver because he wanted another shot at winning a cup. All I know is that from what I have heard from our 2 new defensmen, they seem to have a very solid work ethic and i hope that trickles around the locker room and especially to our young def corp. You could look at it this way, would you rather have Tallinder and Lydman or Regehr and Ehrhoff now because thats kinda what happend in a round about sort of way (IE we needed 2 vet defenders cuz the other two left)

All and All it will be interesting to see how much fire those tough losses gave to these 3 players...

It would be also curious to know if in his talks with the three Players Pegula or anyone on the sabres asked them about losing those games. Like in a job interview when they ask for your weaknesses or failures... Leino, Regehr and Ehrhoff seem to have something that made the sabres want them. Ehrhoff in his interview sounded very disappointed that he was traded from Vancouver because he wanted another shot at winning a cup. All I know is that from what I have heard from our 2 new defensmen, they seem to have a very solid work ethic and i hope that trickles around the locker room and especially to our young def corp. You could look at it this way, would you rather have Tallinder and Lydman or Regehr and Ehrhoff now because thats kinda what happend in a round about sort of way (IE we needed 2 vet defenders cuz the other two left)

All and All it will be interesting to see how much fire those tough losses gave to these 3 players...

Well again, the issue is that whatever these guys have, I would hope they still had it even if they had lost in the semifinals or whatever.

Leopold was also a game 7 finals loser as well, no?

He was also a Game 6 hero (I cringe typing this) in a big elimination game last year. Let's home he's clutch. We've been lacking a clutch goal scorer since Drury left.

Seven years healed the wounds? You think Lindy is over 1999? I'm not. Are you?

Exactly one second after that game I was over it. Buffalo sports fans really like to re-hash the past, and pontificate over what if's. I find it to be a pointless exercise and wonder about the sanity of the fans who are the most guilty.

Exactly one second after that game I was over it. Buffalo sports fans really like to re-hash the past, and pontificate over what if's. I find it to be a pointless exercise and wonder about the sanity of the fans who are the most guilty.

I don't think it's pontificating over a what if to say it still hurts. Not saying keeps me up nights, but I'd be lying if i said i am indifferent about it. It still sucks. If that makes me insane, so be it. Either you are emotionally invested or you are not. You can't have the high without the low.

There's a live chat with ted black right now on the D&C website...

Linky

Best moment of all of this...

seeing user SPNDNCHZ post "thank you sir!"

Oh, the small world we live in :beer:

I'd tried to ask if there would be a locker room tour at any point for fans to go see but time ran out...

That west coast trip would be the perfect time to have a raffle for fan locker room tours.

I'd tried to ask if there would be a locker room tour at any point for fans to go see but time ran out...

That west coast trip would be the perfect time to have a raffle for fan locker room tours.

They're trying to schedule a locker room tour sometime while the team is in Europe. The logistics of this would be pure hell IMO. All of Buffalo wants to see that locker room. I'd guess they limit it to season ticket holders or something.

Not immediately afterwards, but I lost any emotional reaction to that loss many years ago. I don't have the emotional budget to retain feelings from a 1999 sporting event.

They're trying to schedule a locker room tour sometime while the team is in Europe. The logistics of this would be pure hell IMO. All of Buffalo wants to see that locker room. I'd guess they limit it to season ticket holders or something.

yea that makes a lot of sense but I thought they needed that week to finish off the complex? I feel like allowing 15,000 ppl to wonder through then would be a logistical nightmare but if you go take lots of picks for us poor ppl without season tics! :thumbsup:

He's been back to the playoffs 4 times. At least one of those teams was probably a stronger squad than the 2004 runner up Flames. It doesn't seem like the pain from that loss really helped them, an entire team full of guys who lost a game 7 in the finals. It's an interesting little bit of info to use as a motivational tool and to sell to the fans, but I don't think it's anything more than that.

And as for Leino, I could see the hunger being there. He watched the cup handed to the opposing team in both 2009 (even if he didn't play much for Detroit) and in 2010. That's a bit more fresh in his mind. And then of course there's the obvious in Ehrhoff.

Not immediately afterwards, but I lost any emotional reaction to that loss many years ago. I don't have the emotional budget to retain feelings from a 1999 sporting event.

Again, i am not saying I am shedding tears or even still holding a grudge against Dallas like some do ... but if you guys can honestly say that the result of the 1999 Finals means nothing more to you than the result of the 1998 or 2000 finals, then maybe I am indeed insane.

I am just wired differently I guess. To me, either it was important to you, or it wasn't. If you go in with the idea that "if they win great, I'll be happy for a few days, and if they lose, well, I don't really care, i'm over it already," then I submit it really wasn't that important to you. That's how I feel watching baseball or college hoops. And while I don't know you guys (ink and weave) at all other than on this board, just the fact that you are here tells me it matters more than that to you. I'm certainly not telling you how to feel, I could definitely be the weird one. But it seems like you care more than that.

Again, i am not saying I am shedding tears or even still holding a grudge against Dallas like some do ... but if you guys can honestly say that the result of the 1999 Finals means nothing more to you than the result of the 1998 or 2000 finals, then maybe I am indeed insane.

I am just wired differently I guess. To me, either it was important to you, or it wasn't. If you go in with the idea that "if they win great, I'll be happy for a few days, and if they lose, well, I don't really care, i'm over it already," then I submit it really wasn't that important to you. That's how I feel watching baseball or college hoops. And while I don't know you guys (ink and weave) at all other than on this board, just the fact that you are here tells me it matters more than that to you. I'm certainly not telling you how to feel, I could definitely be the weird one. But it seems like you care more than that.

'99 still affects me like the early '90s did for any *slightly older than me* Bills fans, or anyone who watched the music city *miracle*.

I still feel it...

Archived