OT: Rioting

RazielSabre

You guys had much in the way of rioting over there? Since the global markets starting tanking (about 4/5 days ago) London has spent most nights ablaze. As a result we've had little in the way of global news so I wondered what was happening over there, your economy is being lumped in with Spain and Greece in the 'not quite but almost at recession' stakes so if anything I'd have expecting more unrest in the States. I hope I don't offend anyone, this can be a touchy subject.

You guys had much in the way of rioting over there? Since the global markets starting tanking (about 4/5 days ago) London has spent most nights ablaze. As a result we've had little in the way of global news so I wondered what was happening over there, your economy is being lumped in with Spain and Greece in the 'not quite but almost at recession' stakes so if anything I'd have expecting more unrest in the States. I hope I don't offend anyone, this can be a touchy subject.

No riots this way.

I really haven't even heard it mentioned too much so far.

And on another note, I'm kind of embarrassed by the fact that it never clicked with me that you were over in England.

No worries, it's a fair assumption to make.

I'm kind of surprised to be honest as a big deal is made of you guys 'possibly slipping back into recession' and how important the US economy is to, well, the world. Having said which our economy is steady (well all things considered). I think the market crash is only one reason why, people are seriously unhappy that the government over here are making cuts left and right causing higher unemployment.

Still, if your going to riot do it in style, loads of 7-10 year olds over here looting and burning places down. luckily nowhere near me.

We haven't had the spark to ignite the riots that happened in Brixton. (I don't believe for a second that the continued rioting is due to the shooting, but that's what started it, right?)

What really pisses me off is these rioters don't know how good they have it.

We haven't had the spark to ignite the riots that happened in Brixton. (I don't believe for a second that the continued rioting is due to the shooting, but that's what started it, right?)

What really pisses me off is these rioters don't know how good they have it.

It supposedly started it, but worse stuff has happened and people have just had a bit of a winge. I'm finding it tough to believe it even caused much of a spark. Maybe the combination of that, our PM and chancellor being on holiday and the 'fear of a much worse global recession' was just enough. The media love to hype up how bad ###### is, we've been told spain will need a bailout of more money than we have and the USA were going to default on their debt, neither of which I believe are entirely true. This cannot help.

Riots just don't happen here as much as they do over on that side of the pond. Protests yes, some even need a large police presence and riot gear, but it rarely turns into the car fires and real violence I see on the news from Europe. Outside of the Vancouver stuff, when was the last real bunch of riots people can remember here?

Riots just don't happen here as much as they do over on that side of the pond. Protests yes, some even need a large police presence and riot gear, but it rarely turns into the car fires and real violence I see on the news from Europe. Outside of the Vancouver stuff, when was the last real bunch of riots people can remember here?

Most of the time when Boston wins? Didn't they go balistic when the Sox won in 2004?

It supposedly started it, but worse stuff has happened and people have just had a bit of a winge. I'm finding it tough to believe it even caused much of a spark. Maybe the combination of that, our PM and chancellor being on holiday and the 'fear of a much worse global recession' was just enough. The media love to hype up how bad ###### is, we've been told spain will need a bailout of more money than we have and the USA were going to default on their debt, neither of which I believe are entirely true. This cannot help.

The US will never default on its debt, though if the government is still divided the next time the debt ceiling is pushed against the circus will come to town again.

Hurricane Katrina might be the last large scale looting and destruction.

The U.K. has a much worse debt (and deficit) problem than the U.S. in terms of external debt as a % of GDP - something like 400% of Britain's GDP compared to about 100% for the U.S. (even worse in places like Ireland, Norway, and the Netherlands)

But, our news says that this round of riots was fueled by racial tension (a guy getting shot by police in Tottenham) as much as economic tension... is that not the case? Is it more due to economic unrest?

I spent a bunch of time in Birmingham (UK, not AL) this spring and was very surprised to see the amount of segregation in the city. There are very clear lines between Black, White, and South Asian communities. I think this rioting is a consequence of that. It just needed a spark. While much of the US is divided between Black, White, and Latin areas, it's not nearly as defined as it was over there, IMO.

Also, we have not had nearly the austerity measures that the conservative government of the UK has implemented. Cutting a lot of low paying government jobs that employed large numbers of young people and minorities is a great way to create unrest. Especially while the guy responsible is on holiday in a private villa in Italy.

All that said, I don't buy the US Economy is headed for another recession line. I work in manufacturing, and my cousin owns a trucking company out west. I'm seeing orders increase rapidly, and he said the trucks in California have basically reversed course and are loading more onto the ships to Asia than they are taking off. The economy may be changing back to a more producer/exporter economy, and that is painful, but I don't see another 500k jobs being lost in the next 9 months.

I spent a bunch of time in Birmingham (UK, not AL) this spring and was very surprised to see the amount of segregation in the city. There are very clear lines between Black, White, and South Asian communities. I think this rioting is a consequence of that. It just needed a spark. While much of the US is divided between Black, White, and Latin areas, it's not nearly as defined as it was over there, IMO.

Also, we have not had nearly the austerity measures that the conservative government of the UK has implemented. Cutting a lot of low paying government jobs that employed large numbers of young people and minorities is a great way to create unrest. Especially while the guy responsible is on holiday in a private villa in Italy.

All that said, I don't buy the US Economy is headed for another recession line. I work in manufacturing, and my cousin owns a trucking company out west. I'm seeing orders increase rapidly, and he said the trucks in California have basically reversed course and are loading more onto the ships to Asia than they are taking off. The economy may be changing back to a more producer/exporter economy, and that is painful, but I don't see another 500k jobs being lost in the next 9 months.

I am not at all knowledgeable, but why is this bad?

The U.K. has a much worse debt (and deficit) problem than the U.S. in terms of external debt as a % of GDP - something like 400% of Britain's GDP compared to about 100% for the U.S. (even worse in places like Ireland, Norway, and the Netherlands)

But, our news says that this round of riots was fueled by racial tension (a guy getting shot by police in Tottenham) as much as economic tension... is that not the case? Is it more due to economic unrest?

The official line is some dude got shot, people went bat sh#t crazy. Most people are saying there's more, the debt problem has been rammed down our throats and being constantly told the economy is about to collapse are large factors.

While we have a big eastern european immigration issue I dont see it causing this due to the location of the rioting combined with the mix of the races in the gangs, their quite multicultural. Very rarely do you see gangs discriminate, which is kinda nice. :blink:

Forgot to mention this, very key point. He came back today, many days after the riots started. Interesting point on the segregation. I've always kinda taken it as red that it works, not perfect but it works. Maybe in some areas it's leading to a huge amount of racial tension.

Oh one other thing, The UK seems to have a major drug control issue at the moment. Not sure if we have that in common with anywhere else.

The official line is some dude got shot, people went bat sh#t crazy. Most people are saying there's more, the debt problem has been rammed down our throats and being constantly told the economy is about to collapse are large factors.

While we have a big eastern european immigration issue I dont see it causing this due to the location of the rioting combined with the mix of the races in the gangs, their quite multicultural. Very rarely do you see gangs discriminate, which is kinda nice.

it does seem that way - the incident with that unfortunate fella getting shot seems to have given rise to a whole lot of other stuff. even so, it also seems like the large majority of the riots are rooted in pure criminality (think vancouver after game 7). but i'm sure there are some actual gripes underlying some people's actions.

p.s. the riots are interrupting my EPL viewing. which leads me to ask: how many clubs are based in london?

Did The Specials release another song?

one of the best pop songs ever.

Well I did smash some stuff saturday night, however it was only a one man riot.

call you the jack of spades.

[~2:48 mark (~2:25 for fuller context (i'm gonna get you suckah!) - sorry it it's not your style.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1tiSIKC910

Archived