The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

I picked up a 12 of Sam Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA the other day and am currently enjoying a "Zeus". Very interesting, hoppy taste. Kind of dark tasting, too. It's good, though, and actually mellows appropriately as it warms up a little.

One of you guys who knows beer really ought to host a get-together and turn us dilettantes on to "The Good Stuff".

I haven't seen any of the "deconstructed" Latitude 48's around here. I guess they just don't bother to ditribute them out my way. I like the regular L48 so I'd really like to try the single hop varieties that make it up.

*sigh* the problem with living in a rural area.

I haven't seen any of the "deconstructed" Latitude 48's around here. I guess they just don't bother to ditribute them out my way. I like the regular L48 so I'd really like to try the single hop varieties that make it up.

*sigh* the problem with living in a rural area.

FWIW, I picked up my 12 pack of deconstructed at Consumer's on Transit Rd. I haven't seen it at all down here in NC.

FWIW, I'm going to taste a whole bunch of beers this weekend. Probably all the same kind - at least 12 before trying something different. I won't be taking notes, and they probably won't be high end craft beers. I'm thinking something ice cold with a maple leaf on the cap will do the trick. Maybe I'll report back on what kind of hangover and/or gastrointestinal effects they induce.

Cheers! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

FWIW, I'm going to taste a whole bunch of beers this weekend. Probably all the same kind - at least 12 before trying something different. I won't be taking notes, and they probably won't be high end craft beers. I'm thinking something ice cold with a maple leaf on the cap will do the trick. Maybe I'll report back on what kind of hangover and/or gastrointestinal effects they induce.

Cheers! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

lets see the fiance and I are done, I have a bunch of friends who are single and its friday night....

I am going to try beers from anywhere and everywhere and then wake up past out in some unfamiliar location.... should be fun.

Best of luck fine sirs, though the report back on visceral effects will not be necessary Hedge. Really.

I've been nose to grindstone for far too long. Tonight marks the final hurdle for me, after which 3.5 weeks vacation without academic responsibility awaits. First time that's happened in a year. I will enthusiastically jump into some Guinness Extra Stout tonight, followed by a transition to Lagavulin 16 for the remainder of the weekend. However as this is the beer thread, I will post my recap of said malt indulgences where appropriate.

Cheers Gentlemen.

For those of you in the Buffalo area, a new restaurant opened up where the Ebenezer Onion used to be in West Seneca, called the Ebenezer Ale House. 2 guys with a boatload of experience, both bartenders, one of them a staple on the bar at Brennans. Right now they have about 20 beers on tap, but the cool thing is that only 3 are domestic. The rest are imports/crafts:

Guinness

Hoegaarden

Flying bison aviator red

Lindemans framboise

Leffe

Weihenstephan

Breckenridge 471

Kwak

Lagunitas Lucky #13

Blanche de Chambly

Smuttynose Old Brown Dog

Ommegang BOA

Southerntier IPA

Sam adams summer ale

Spaten Marten

Sierra Nevada pale ale

Victory Golden Monkey

Follow up to my post, a writeup in the Gusto today: Ebenezer Ale House

Surprised no of you central PA. guys mentioned Troegs. The Nugget Nectar is one of my favorite beers, and as it's release is in Febrary!, can keep a good bit just in the garage. The Sunshine Pils is quite nice as well, and I like the Hopback as a good APA

Couple of other favorites that have not been mentioned

Loose Cannon by Heavy seas

Sculpin by Ballast Point

Oberon by Bells (best summer beer IMHO)

love most of Flying Dog stuff as well

Now, I must say something here as well. Seems a lot of folks still think that beer in a can sucks, and 10 years ago that would generally be the case However, technology has changed and the best storage method for beer now is a can No light, no air,mean better fresher beer..and the newer cans insure no metal taste as well. I believe cans are where plastic enclosures and screw caps were with Wines 10 years ago. Oskar Blues Has some great beer in a can, and 21st Amendment does as well. Star Hill in Charlottsville starting to can some of their beers a well.

All I am saying is don't not try a beer simply cause in a can.

Now, I must say something here as well. Seems a lot of folks still think that beer in a can sucks, and 10 years ago that would generally be the case However, technology has changed and the best storage method for beer now is a can No light, no air,mean better fresher beer..and the newer cans insure no metal taste as well. I believe cans are where plastic enclosures and screw caps were with Wines 10 years ago. Oskar Blues Has some great beer in a can, and 21st Amendment does as well. Star Hill in Charlottsville starting to can some of their beers a well.

All I am saying is don't not try a beer simply cause in a can.

Agreed. Pikeland Pils and Prima Pils are two of my favorites in cans. And I still like a can of Genny Cream on a sreaming hot day.

• Like (+1) 1

Follow up to my post, a writeup in the Gusto today: Ebenezer Ale House

Made it out to the Ebenezer Ale House for lunch today. I remembered it from its Ebenezer Onion days immediately.

Nice place. Was pretty quiet at ~1pm. Was entertained by a very pretty and talkative young bartender while we were there. Had a pint of Qwak and Omm BPA. The wife went with Breckenridge 471 Imperial IPA. I had the BBQ meatloaf sammich and wife had the reuben. The homemade chips were very good and the mac-n-cheese was made with smoked gouda and very tasty as well. The meatloaf sandwich was monstrous and I took half of it home. Wife said the reuben was ordinary. The beers were all tasty and properly carbonated. Glasses clean and not over-chilled. I think the place has a ton of promise as a different kind of beer haven. I hope they keep the predominantly Belgian theme to the beers.

One note, alot of those unique beers are pricey. My pint of Qwak ran $9.50. Wasn't expecting that and price wasn't listed on their menu. Granted, the more common beers like SA Summer Ale were competitively priced. It's the unusual stuff that's a bit pricier than I expected.

All in all, we enjoyed it alot and will be back there. Thanks for the heads up Braedon.

• Like (+1) 1

Made it out to the Ebenezer Ale House for lunch today. I remembered it from its Ebenezer Onion days immediately.

Nice place. Was pretty quiet at ~1pm. Was entertained by a very pretty and talkative young bartender while we were there. Had a pint of Qwak and Omm BPA. The wife went with Breckenridge 471 Imperial IPA. I had the BBQ meatloaf sammich and wife had the reuben. The homemade chips were very good and the mac-n-cheese was made with smoked gouda and very tasty as well. The meatloaf sandwich was monstrous and I took half of it home. Wife said the reuben was ordinary. The beers were all tasty and properly carbonated. Glasses clean and not over-chilled. I think the place has a ton of promise as a different kind of beer haven. I hope they keep the predominantly Belgian theme to the beers.

One note, alot of those unique beers are pricey. My pint of Qwak ran $9.50. Wasn't expecting that and price wasn't listed on their menu. Granted, the more common beers like SA Summer Ale were competitively priced. It's the unusual stuff that's a bit pricier than I expected.

All in all, we enjoyed it alot and will be back there. Thanks for the heads up Braedon.

No prob, thanks for the input on the place. We're driving up to NY this week and will def stop by for dinner. I'm not surprised about the cost of the beers, as GoDD mentioned the margins may be too tight for the quality of product. Although they should list prices. Were all the Belgians that high? If so I would think they may have to supplement with either more domestics or domestic crafts as we're still talking West Seneca here. They will surely get clientele that splurge, however a great deal wont.

Then again, they may get way with only 3 domestics to appease the masses.

No prob, thanks for the input on the place. We're driving up to NY this week and will def stop by for dinner. I'm not surprised about the cost of the beers, as GoDD mentioned the margins may be too tight for the quality of product. Although they should list prices. Were all the Belgians that high? If so I would think they may have to supplement with either more domestics or domestic crafts as we're still talking West Seneca here. They will surely get clientele that splurge, however a great deal wont.

Then again, they may get way with only 3 domestics to appease the masses.

I have no idea if the other Belgians are that pricey. I didn't see a price list anywhere. Had no idea my Qwak was $9.50 until I got the bill. Good thing I wasn't on a lunch budget. I didn't get one so I'm assuming here, but I'm sure beers like Southern Tier IPA and Smuttynose, Flying Bison, et al are probably competitively priced. And that's where the bulk of their sales volume will probably be.

They are making hay with their happy hours. All their bottled beers are $1.50 during happy hour and the bartender said happy hour is jammed. Personally, I don't get drinking bottled beer at a bar. I can get the same product at home. But hey, that's just me.

• Like (+1) 1

I have no idea if the other Belgians are that pricey. I didn't see a price list anywhere. Had no idea my Qwak was $9.50 until I got the bill. Good thing I wasn't on a lunch budget. I didn't get one so I'm assuming here, but I'm sure beers like Southern Tier IPA and Smuttynose, Flying Bison, et al are probably competitively priced. And that's where the bulk of their sales volume will probably be.

They are making hay with their happy hours. All their bottled beers are $1.50 during happy hour and the bartender said happy hour is jammed. Personally, I don't get drinking bottled beer at a bar. I can get the same product at home. But hey, that's just me.

That's a great point about bottled beer. However down here, there are many bars/restaurants that have the same 6 beers on tap: Bud, Mich Amber Bock, Shock Top, Sam, Bud Light, Coors Light. As such, when they have a good bottle beer (some places down here carry Belgian bottle-conditioned ales) or if they have Guinness Draught can, I'll opt for that.

That's a great point about bottled beer. However down here, there are many bars/restaurants that have the same 6 beers on tap: Bud, Mich Amber Bock, Shock Top, Sam, Bud Light, Coors Light. As such, when they have a good bottle beer (some places down here carry Belgian bottle-conditioned ales) or if they have Guinness Draught can, I'll opt for that.

Buffalo has become beer savvy in the last couple of years. Prior to that, most places here also had the same 6 beers on tap. The difference here was, two of those beers were Blue and Blue light. But there seems to be a real change in the drinking culture in Buffalo lately and good beer selections are even showing up in the franchise places.

I wish that culture sould start moving outward a couple of counties. I have two bars in my entire county that have interesting beers on tap. The rest of them all have a base of Blue, Blue Light, Bud, Bud Light, Coors, Shock Top, and Blue Moon. A few include Sam Adams Lager in there somewhere. Fortunately, I live within walking distance of both of those bars. :clapping:

• Like (+1) 1

Was just in soutwestern VA for business, and had a chance to drink this beer http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/wolf-hills-troopers-alley-ipa/117794/

on tap at a local restuarant. I enjoyed the beer, and really liked that it was only 5.9% ABV, especially as I was with cliets and they had no need to see me get sloppy LOL.

Beer is from a Nano Brewey around the corner from the restauarnt..any of you folks near Bristol or Johnson City I highly encourage a visit and a growler fill.

http://wolfhillsbrewing.com/main.php/

They even have a Cream Ale!!!

Back in Buffalo for a few weeks. Picked up a variety pack of Southern Tier. Love the 422 and IPA, Pale is a little light for me and the Phin and Matt's is flat on the finish. Still loving the ST, was looking for Flying Bison but Aviator was sold out and I'm not a huge fan of the Buffalo Lager

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Figured I'd throw my Christmas haul in here since it;s the official beer thread and all. :P

Reading through the thread before posting gives me two comments.

1. Whatinthehell happened to Braedon? Where'd he go? I miss that dude.

2. I think I've made an enemy out of somebody. It's rather funny to see nearly all my posts in this thread neg'd. Someone doesn't like beer? Or is someone going through the effort of dinging all my old posts? :doh: Pro tip- it's an internet forum. Relax. Have fun. Maybe have a beer.

Anywho, this list means my beer fridge is well stocked again thanks to a couple relatives that know what I like.

All of these were purchased at the Sheridan Drive Consumer's Beverages location.

Belgian and Belgian styled

Ommegang Gnomegang (collaboration with Ommegang and Belgian Brasserie De Lachouffe)

Ommegang BPA

Ovila Dubbel (collaboration between Sierra Nevada and the Belgian Abbey of New Clairvoux)

Ovila Saison (same collaboration as above)

Ithaca Cold Front Belgian style amber

Kasteel Tripel (authentic monestary brewed ale)

IPA's

Great Divide Titan IPA (great IPA from Colorado that I never have access to)

Sam Adams Tasman Red IPA (a limited run special edition beer)

Horseheads Black Horse black IPA (NY beer that is gaining distribution but I bought it cuz I really like the beer)

Magic Hat Encore wheat IPA (limited run beer)

:beer:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.