The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Found a new favorite local brewery near me called Pigskin Brewing. They had their Vanilla Porter on tap, which is generally my favorite variety of beer. Theirs was very good. Neat part is that they also had the same porter on tap minus the vanilla.

That's something I do with my beer when brewing- leave a small portion aside when adding the flavors at a transfer. That way you can taste your creation both "plain" and "flavored." At the brewery I tried them side by side, and also had a delicious teriyaki chicken flatbread that paired surprisingly well.

• 4 weeks later...

Elysian Space Dust IPA. Drinking it now, not enjoying it very much. 8.2% alcohol, and you can taste every bit of it. The only other beer I've ever had that stings as much (indeed, ten times worse) was Brooklyn's chocolate stout. That nonsense is effectively what happens when you drop a tootsie roll into a bottle of rubbing alcohol.

Anyway, morning beers. The best thing about night shift.

Elysian Space Dust IPA. Drinking it now, not enjoying it very much. 8.2% alcohol, and you can taste every bit of it. The only other beer I've ever had that stings as much (indeed, ten times worse) was Brooklyn's chocolate stout. That nonsense is effectively what happens when you drop a tootsie roll into a bottle of rubbing alcohol.

Sounds rough.

Had Thin Man's Hyperballad, strong belgian brown ale at 9.2% alcohol. Very delicious and would get it again. 

A local brewery has decided to make a name for itself by teaming up with a local canoe/kayak outfitter to hold Sunday afternoon beer gardens every week this summer. Nice shady location along a creek with shelters, live music, games, and kids activities, and a food truck. The beer is pretty good too! They have a mango ginger IPA that's solid and not overdone. Their two more standard IPAs are very drinkable too.

Side node: Jerk Chicken Cheesesteak. Wow.

A local brewery has decided to make a name for itself by teaming up with a local canoe/kayak outfitter to hold Sunday afternoon beer gardens every week this summer. Nice shady location along a creek with shelters, live music, games, and kids activities, and a food truck. The beer is pretty good too! They have a mango ginger IPA that's solid and not overdone. Their two more standard IPAs are very drinkable too.

Side node: Jerk Chicken Cheesesteak. Wow.

Kuka brewing?

Burial Beer Company, The Prayer, Belgian Blonde Ale with Apricot. Very tasty. 

I don't like this, to many beer companies worldwide use our name, Belgian styled, Belgian brewed.

Don't know why, jut not a fan of people using our "brand" to promote their beer.

I don't like this, to many beer companies worldwide use our name, Belgian styled, Belgian brewed.

Don't know why, jut not a fan of people using our "brand" to promote their beer.

Your name is a name because your country is recognized as a massive contributor to brewing history.  So much so that the official styles (bjcp.com) use the name and as such so many brewers have to use those names to fit their beer into a style for that purpose.

Do you also get upset that there is Belgian Candy Sugar?  Belgian Waffles?  Belgian Bulgur?  (no I made that one up).

Just curious.  Are you looking for it to be like Champagne or Tequila?

A story about a little brewery that was started by some friends of mine:  HopFusion Ale Works

June, 2015:  You gotta start somewhere.

10680107_963162937067488_156707843262585

Also in June, 2015:  My first beer there (from the refrigerator in the center of the picture above):

15250951_1132685493447006_88957706837972

February, 2016:  Construction continues.

12733555_1091817840868663_46890531838829

April, 2016:  First shipments of kegs to bars (the first time I paid for HopFusion beer).

12987022_967463833302507_556484688169275

June, 2016:  Brewing beer is not rocket science, but it can look like it sometimes.  More tanks have arrived!

13412978_1174486025935177_52773470539897

Edited by Doohickie

...and here are the rocket scientists.  Macy, second from the left in front, and Matt, right rear, are the partners in the brewery.

13445779_1174485909268522_79980645213312

November, 2016:  the taproom opens.

15107260_1313295648720880_90640753991981

July 2017:  And finally HopFusion beer is available in stores.

20121161_1346390832076470_64476425206068

It's been quite a journey.  It's amazing how much work goes into opening a brewery.

Your name is a name because your country is recognized as a massive contributor to brewing history.  So much so that the official styles (bjcp.com) use the name and as such so many brewers have to use those names to fit their beer into a style for that purpose.

Do you also get upset that there is Belgian Candy Sugar?  Belgian Waffles?  Belgian Bulgur?  (no I made that one up).

Just curious.  Are you looking for it to be like Champagne or Tequila?

That might happen now that the UN recognized and protected Belgian beer culture.

Postscript: had it again tonight, colleague had a six with him. Much better. Think I got a bad/old batch originally.

That might happen now that the UN recognized and protected Belgian beer culture.

I guess we'll have to start calling it "Dikkenek-style" now. :)

(Please note, that's a result of Google; I intended that as some friendly ribbing. If I insulted the entire heritage of you and your nation, my bad.

Edited by MattPie

This morning's selection: Uinta Hop Nosh IPA. Compete impulse buy, bog standard 7.3% IPA.

Had never heard of this brewery; what made me buy it, in all honesty is that it's brewed in Salt Lake City. They allow that there?

I've heard of it and had it. Not bad but unremarkable[0]. That does seem odd, although Senor Wikipedia tells me you can buy stronger beer at State stores.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_Utah

[0] It's truly an embarrassment of riches that what's objectively a pretty good beer get's a "meh" because it doesn't stand out against all the other pretty good beer we have available.

I guess we'll have to start calling it "Dikkenek-style" now. :)

(Please note, that's a result of Google; I intended that as some friendly ribbing. If I insulted the entire heritage of you and your nation, my bad.

Dikkenek is actually a beer over here :p

Can't get insulted that easy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.