Zack Kassian

BuffaloSoldier2010

Allow me to clarify: I think Regier loved Connolly and maybe still does (and I don't understand it either--maybe Connolly has pictures?) but I also think the reason why the Sabres never went shopping for a great center in the post-Briere/Intangible era is Quinn.

No need to clarify, I was just having a bit of fun. Needed a few smilies in there, and I apologise for the confusion.

74 points in 50 games ain't too shabby. Not top 6, but we all know (or should) that's not why he was drafted.

I think it's weird that people are quick to translate CHL performance to NHL performance. Every sport has guys with amazing stats in the minor leagues (or college) who can't do anything at the top level. Kassian's stats aren't amazing for a CHL player, but his size, strength, and temperament should make him a good NHL player.

I also think he definitely has top 6 forward potential. He's going to be hell to play against. How much more room would Vanek, Pominville, Boyes, Ennis, etc. have out there with Kassian (or Foligno) out there raising hell and chasing people into the corners?

The other great part of adding Kassian and Foligno is that we'll have someone to put in front of the net besides Vanek.

He's getting 25 in the OHL playing against 17 yr olds. He's 19.

He might get that many in the NHL but i doubt it. If youre a scorer you generally put up big number in the OHL. More than the 26 kassian has.

I see him as a much more refined and talented McCormick.

Kaleta had a 24 goal season in the OHL.

I think his NHL goal output is more likely 15 or so.

I guess many missed the world Juniors this year? He played for team Canada and was one of their best players out there, was suspended a game too for one of his hits

I'm not sure a single poster is not aware of what he did at the WJC. Multiple threads, endless conjecture, infinite man love.

I guess the original poster was just trying to contemplate moving him to center, which he has done with virtually every player on the Sabres roster.

Maybe if Enroth works out, we can move Miller to Center.

Very nice.

He'll be a good shutdown wing who can score 25 a season. It's a good addition. But a savior? Probably not; you're right.

I guess many missed the world Juniors this year? He played for team Canada and was one of their best players out there, was suspended a game too for one of his hits

74 points in 50 games ain't too shabby. Not top 6, but we all know (or should) that's not why he was drafted.

I think it's weird that people are quick to translate CHL performance to NHL performance. Every sport has guys with amazing stats in the minor leagues (or college) who can't do anything at the top level. Kassian's stats aren't amazing for a CHL player, but his size, strength, and temperament should make him a good NHL player.

I also think he definitely has top 6 forward potential. He's going to be hell to play against. How much more room would Vanek, Pominville, Boyes, Ennis, etc. have out there with Kassian (or Foligno) out there raising hell and chasing people into the corners?

The other great part of adding Kassian and Foligno is that we'll have someone to put in front of the net besides Vanek.

I think Kassian has top-6 potential (ie solid 2nd liner). I want to see him develop into a Milan Lucic type, and I think he has the skills and the temperament to get there.

Nope not bad. But certainly not top tier scoring. Keep in mind that he's playing against 17 yr old kids, many of which are outscoring him.

I dont get the impression from reading what people think he will become that they understand he wont be a top 6.

I hope he eventually contributes to the Sabres, but it will most likely be in the grinding dept. not the scoring sheet.

Thats how he played in the WJC, 3 points in 5 games, one of which was an empty netter vs Switz.

Very nice.

I think Kassian has top-6 potential (ie solid 2nd liner). I want to see him develop into a Milan Lucic type, and I think he has the skills and the temperament to get there.

Lindy will have him working on his face-offs before that can happen. :doh:

Actually yes, I don't know the first thing about the guy :bag:

But if he was another Hecht that wouldn't be the worse he could do

Kassian is a wrecking ball. Not the swiftest skater, but he's got very nice hands and is an absolute moose to move when he's down low.

Team Canada in the WJC would post Foligno low on one unit PP, and Kassian on the other. And then they would skate on opposite wings on the same line blowing people up.

Fun times.

They are going to wear down a lot of defensemen in the years to come.

Both Kassian and Foligno will most likely end up in Portland for a season. There is no reason to rush either one of them into the NHL line up.

Kassian has line 2 potential right now in my opinion. But as others have pointed out we just don't know which way his game will transition to once he reaches the pros. He could be a bust for all we know.

I think a Milan Lucic comparison is stretching it a bit. Kassian isn't nearly the skater Lucic is, not yet anyways.

But he does have the size and temperment to achieve a status similiar to Lucic if his skating improves.

Both Kassian and Foligno will most likely end up in Portland for a season. There is no reason to rush either one of them into the NHL line up.

Kassian has line 2 potential right now in my opinion. But as others have pointed out we just don't know which way his game will transition to once he reaches the pros. He could be a bust for all we know.

I think a Milan Lucic comparison is stretching it a bit. Kassian isn't nearly the skater Lucic is, not yet anyways.

But he does have the size and temperment to achieve a status similiar to Lucic if his skating improves.

I would say the skating is comparable. Lucic is one ugly skater IMO.

But Portland is not the worst thing. Mike Weber must have done a ton of skating work in Portland and it shows for the better.

Milan Lucic's best junior year was 30 goals. Ryan Clowe's was 28 goals. Rick Nash had 32. Scott Hartnell's bset junior year was 27 goals. All top 6 forwards and power forwards.

Just sayin'....

Exactly. Because he's not putting up Crosby like numbers in juniors people seem to think he is not gonna be a good NHL player. Some of the best players in the league aren't big time goal scorers, there is so much more to hockey than just putting the puck in the net. The Sabres definitely need someone to open up the ice a little more for the other guys. Not too many players in the league get nervous going against the Sabres. With Kassian on the ice, that will change.

Archived