Zack Kassian

BuffaloSoldier2010

Exactly. Because he's not putting up Crosby like numbers in juniors people seem to think he is not gonna be a good NHL player. Some of the best players in the league aren't big time goal scorers, there is so much more to hockey than just putting the puck in the net. The Sabres definitely need someone to open up the ice a little more for the other guys. Not too many players in the league get nervous going against the Sabres. With Kassian on the ice, that will change.

I agree and you add a Foligno into the mix and Ennis and Gerbe will be skating all over the place...... :beer:

Has Gerbe done enough to warrant a roster spot next year?

A very good question. He merits a shot at it, IMO, but not a guaranteed spot. If he were to try to Kennedy the Sabres into a one-way deal (not sure he can), I'd say goodbye.

Milan Lucic's best junior year was 30 goals. Ryan Clowe's was 28 goals. Rick Nash had 32. Scott Hartnell's bset junior year was 27 goals. All top 6 forwards and power forwards.

Just sayin'....

Brad May's best year was 37. Even though he spent some time as a top 6 guy in Buffalo, I don't think you can honestly consider him a top 6 forward. He only topped 15 goals twice in his NHL career.

Kassian's time will come here and we can all revel in his awesome physicality but until hes ready and matures no one knows what he will do or how good he will play. Lets hope hes a a strong guy who knows how to finish and that he can bring the right kind of grit to this team.

Went to Erie to see Kassian play and he got benched. Not just sitting on the bench but sent to the dressing room. His head was NOT in the game and he was "floating" around the ice. Windsor got stomped by Erie. Hopefully it's an isolated incident and not a long term problem.

My link

Went to Erie to see Kassian play and he got benched. Not just sitting on the bench but sent to the dressing room. His head was NOT in the game and he was "floating" around the ice. Windsor got stomped by Erie. Hopefully it's an isolated incident and not a long term problem.

My link

Frankly, that's more than just a little disconcerting. Hopefully he gets the message and we never have to revisit this again.

Brad May's best year was 37. Even though he spent some time as a top 6 guy in Buffalo, I don't think you can honestly consider him a top 6 forward. He only topped 15 goals twice in his NHL career.

That just reinforces the point all the more. Lighting up the OHL doesn't directly correlate with NHL 1st or 2nd line status.

We won't know whether Kassians' game translates to the NHL until he actually gets here. Hopefully the scouting staff did their job well.

My link

Now THAT is disconcerting.

My link

Echo what weave and Bmwolf said. Not good.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

In my mind, Kassian will and should earn a spot on the opening day line-up. Since Pommer may not be available due to his torn achilles tendon, a RW from Rochester will be needed to fill the void. I see Kassian beating out Kotalik, as Kassian earned to play in 3 or so preseason games last season after Ruff liked what he saw. Let's face it, Kassian was a bull for Canada during the World Juniors, scoring goals, levelling opponents (check out the link) and becoming one of Canada's aggitators. Put him on a line with the Goose and McCormick and that line will be force to be reckoned with. What's your take on Kassian?

Check out Kassian in action:

I don't think he's ready yet. He needs time in the AHL to mature his game.

Wow...that thread merged fast...

anyways...I agree in that he'll need time to play with some bigger boys before making the jump. You really don't want to rush his development if you really don't have to.

I think he needs to be observed in preseason and then go from there. I think he is a big enough guy who can handle to physicality of the NHL. The speed will probably hold him back just a little bit, but he will get used to it. Plus, preseason isn't like the regular season. Give him a few games at the start of the regular season and then go from there. If he is on the 4th line with McCormick and Goose, I would not want to be the other team.

I don't want to see this kid's development hurt the way the Islanders' screwed up Connolly's development by bringing him into the lineup too soon. Kotlaik is head case but I'd rather see him in the lineup for a couple months and take our time with Kassian to get it right. He needs to spend some time playing with and against adults.

Especially the type of player that he is. It's one thing to move a perimeter winger or a puck moving defenseman up and let him skate around a bit, but ZK has never played against anyone with the speed and strength of even the middle of the road NHL players. They style he plays and the areas he plays in, he will get killed and/or be completely useless if he makes the jump straight up to the big leagues.

I don't want to see this kid's development hurt the way the Islanders' screwed up Connolly's development by bringing him into the lineup too soon. Kotlaik is head case but I'd rather see him in the lineup for a couple months and take our time with Kassian to get it right. He needs to spend some time playing with and against adults.

He also needs to spend time becoming an adult. I would prefer not to see him play more than two games in a Buffalo uniform this year. (I would, however, like to see him play one or two, so he can see what is ahead of him if he behaves and develops his game.) He has maturity and entitlement issues, so the comparison with Connolly is right on.

I think we'll see Kassian plenty this year, just not on the opening roster.

• 1 month later...

Archived