[OT] Cigars

Weave

I like CAO...they are a Pominville/Hecht sort of cigar. You can't get let down by it on the backend but it's upside is limited. They are a nice everyday smoke, especially if you can get a deal.

That might be the most accurate review of a cigar I've ever read haha

Great stuff. I have never tried Drew estate, so I need to now.

Drew Estate......I'm in....

Hey just to be accurate since this is a new cigar for me I checked the humidor and it is the Drew estate Liga Privada No 9, if my recollection with my friend during the swap is correct this is a limited production item not always easy to find.

Good hunting.

Hey just to be accurate since this is a new cigar for me I checked the humidor and it is the Drew estate Liga Privada No 9, if my recollection with my friend during the swap is correct this is a limited production item not always easy to find.

Good hunting.

Thanks.

It looks like Drew makes Acid as well, that Korab suggested.

Another great topic!

Cigars are an ideal vice in that they are legal (at least now they still are!), reasonably priced ($5-10 for an hour or more of enjoyment), and won't put you at risk for a DUI (unless you overdo an accompanying libation). In addition, it is usually a very social endeavor, as they are best enjoyed in the company of fellow travelers. Even if you enjoy one alone, it gives a great opportunity for reflection and relaxation, which most of us could use a lot more of!

I often get quizzical looks and am asked how I can smoke cigars without feeling hypocritical. You see, I treat patients with cancers of the head and neck, of which the majority have smoking as a major causative factor. My response is that there are two main reasons one can enjoy cigars without any real risk of carcinogenesis :

1. As with most good things in life, MODERATION is the key.

2. Cigars are never to be regularly inhaled.

My intent in posting this is not to generate a debate about health risk of smoking, second hand smoke, or anything like that, but rather to endorse the enjoyment of an occasional cigar as one of life's sublime pleasures. As far as which ones I like, my favorite is an Arturo Fuente Hemingway, although I have no argument with any of the others recommended so far! Enjoy!

I don't smoke cigars nearly as much as I used to, I'd say I'm at like 5 a year now. But when I used to keep a humidor and smoke more regularly I preferred robustos. A. Fuente, montesino and romeo & julieta were my go to stogies usually. Has anyone ever been to the JR outlets down here in NC? I've been to the one on I-40 in Burlington a few times, the walk in humidor is massive.

I did stop at one of JR's outlets once while driving through NC - it's less of a walk-in humidor than it is a very large room with many humidifiers running. Their selection was huge! Also, the ladies that work there were super.

Although I'm in the same boat (fewer cigars every year), when I do buy I order from JR. Great prices and selection and if you order by 2:00 PM they ship the same day (and I always do second-day shipping, so I have the smokes in no time). Very cool!

• 5 weeks later...

Finally broke out another Partagas torpedo from the stash I brought home from the big easy. Much better draw than the first one. And that's a good thing Thick creamy smoke. Perfect strength for me. Really enjoying this one. And the evening is chamber of commerce gorgeous.

• Like (+1) 1

I stopped into a smoke shop on the rez while I was in lewiston and grabbed a mixed handful. I'm on the deck enjoying a Punch Grand Puro. It's a bit stronger than I usually like but nice and smooth. Great draw. Lots of smoke. Good stick. And it's really meshing with the Elijah Craig 12yr bourbon I'm hittin on.

If you go to Canada try a Tuero. Some duty free places have them coming back but not all of them. I once found a cigar here that was called Tuero but it had an entirely different package and was complete crap and obviously not the same Tuero as in Canada. My only complalint with them is how the end tends to get juicy and can lead to stains on your clothes after you wipe your lips.

I smoked a cheap long fill Thompson cigars special while drinking blue light out of cans on my neighbors deck last night. Not exactly a connoisseur's dream evening, but it all tasted damn good under a beautiful late summer sky.

I've ordered my share of Thompson's samplers. Good golf or lawn mowing smokes. ANd they work well with a PBR or Genny cream.

Sometimes a cheap smoke and a cheap beer is just what the Dr. ordered.

• 4 months later...

This thread seems to be fading off so I'll contribute again. Anything to get some lighthearted convo going, eh?

I mentioned in the Santa thread that I got a sizeable gift certificate for cigars. I went in to town yesterday to do some cigar hunting. Came home with this score;

4x CAO (not sure which label though)

2x Rockey Patel Vintage 1999

2x Oliva Series G

2x Padron Series 3000 Maduro

2x Macanudo Maduro

2x Diamondback Dulce Humo

All of the smokes are 50 ring guage and about 6" long, some are torpedos (my favorite shape for a smoke).

The Diamondbacks intrigued me because I am not familiar with them at all and are very "value" priced yet are labeled as hand made. A little google-foo this AM tells me that they are made by the makes of H Upmann and are designed to compete on the value end of the hand made market with brands like Bacharrat. Reviews indicate a mild yet spicy smoke with a sweetened tip. We'll see.

I grabbed 4 CAO's because they are rapidly becoming my go to cigar. We visited friends last night and ended up on the deck watching the Sabres game while lighting up a CAO and enjoying a German VSOP brandy (who knew Germans made excellent brandy?). The cigar was smooth and had an excellent draw, a touch of spice, and was a clean enjoyable experience right down to the last 1-1/2" or so.

Outdoor smoking weather can't come back soon enough.

I picked up some seconds from a smoke shop down in Corning called Brown's that has apparently been around forever. Looking forward to having a go at those tonight. Also still have some nicer sticks around that I need to get to. Waiting for a good night when them big lake effect snow flakes are comin down so I can take a walk around the neighborhood and enjoy one. Few things better than that.

I picked up some seconds from a smoke shop down in Corning called Brown's that has apparently been around forever. Looking forward to having a go at those tonight. Also still have some nicer sticks around that I need to get to. Waiting for a good night when them big lake effect snow flakes are comin down so I can take a walk around the neighborhood and enjoy one. Few things better than that.

As long as you end up with seconds that have a good draw they can be great buys. They use the same tobacco as first runs, right? I pick up seconds every now and again. The ones that are seconds because of construction that makes them draw poorly frustrate me, but cosmetic stuff? Bring 'em on.

I've ordered my share of Thompson's samplers. Good golf or lawn mowing smokes. ANd they work well with a PBR or Genny cream.

Sometimes a cheap smoke and a cheap beer is just what the Dr. ordered.

Cheap beer is never good. But then again I am a bit of a beer snob, lol. Cheapest thing i'll touch is a bud light and i only do that when i plan on getting wasted. As for Cigars i'm down to try anything unless it's one of those stupid friiuit flavored ones like this cheap dude from PA I know gets and had me try once.

As for the original topic at hand my favorite cigar to date has been Romeo and Juliets. I have had a Cuban before and wasn't impressed, granted it was purchased on a cruise trip at one of the stops so that probably could explain why. I'm fairly new to the Cigar game, well i've been smoking for a couple years but like i said it's mostly Romeo and juliets. I see a lot of interesting brands being posted in this thread. I'm willing to try any brand of cigar at least once so my open question to anyone having posted in this thread already what are some of the best brands to try? I know it's only January but never too early to think ahead for the spring/summer months.

Browns is okay, thats where I generally get my smokes from. Sometimes I venture my way down to PA though, the great perk of living right on the boarder.

Cheap beer is never good. But then again I am a bit of a beer snob, lol. Cheapest thing i'll touch is a bud light and i only do that when i plan on getting wasted. As for Cigars i'm down to try anything unless it's one of those stupid friiuit flavored ones like this cheap dude from PA I know gets and had me try once.

As for the original topic at hand my favorite cigar to date has been Romeo and Juliets. I have had a Cuban before and wasn't impressed, granted it was purchased on a cruise trip at one of the stops so that probably could explain why. I'm fairly new to the Cigar game, well i've been smoking for a couple years but like i said it's mostly Romeo and juliets. I see a lot of interesting brands being posted in this thread. I'm willing to try any brand of cigar at least once so my open question to anyone having posted in this thread already what are some of the best brands to try? I know it's only January but never too early to think ahead for the spring/summer months.

Browns is okay, thats where I generally get my smokes from. Sometimes I venture my way down to PA though, the great perk of living right on the boarder.

1. Search this forum for our beer thread. (actually, it is at the bottom of the front page right now)

2. A great place to start brand-wise is everything that has been mentioned in this thread. Most all of them tend towards medium strength. None are overpowering.

Edited by weave

As long as you end up with seconds that have a good draw they can be great buys. They use the same tobacco as first runs, right? I pick up seconds every now and again. The ones that are seconds because of construction that makes them draw poorly frustrate me, but cosmetic stuff? Bring 'em on.

Smoked one on New Years. I was drunk, but I remember being pleased haha

• Like (+1) 1

Smoked one on New Years. I was drunk, but I remember being pleased haha

Week before Xmas, same thing. Bummed one or two from a friend up at a vacation house, so I don't know what they were. Sweet though, which would fit in with that friends tastes.

Cold outside though on Cayuga that night.

Sorry I missed this topic in July. I have had some friends who ran smoke shops and lived for a while up in the Ct River valley, I have tried most of what has been mentioned and prefer the Padrones.

Also have had a Cuban from a friend on my bachelor party 10 years ago and still remember the taste. It is different.

But, my standard go to are Ashton's, two types but the one with the white and black label is smoother and the black and gold label with red is stronger. Both are generally a Dominican maduro, but with a full body taste. Not as smooth as the Cuban, but body the Fuente and smoother while having more taste than the Mac.

The 6" x 1" are my favorite and generally the least expensive around $8 in Ct, the longer one's can go as high as $15. I don't buy in NY State because of the price and being so close to the Ct. border.

I too smoke about 20-25 a year and don't claim to be an aficionado. Speaking of which, I might just light up one before the game tonight given how the Sabres have been playing, I might have something positive to enjoy... :wallbash:

That is my

• 2 months later...

So, Friday night and weather warm enough for deck-sitting means I brought out a smoke. Had a new-to-me cigar, Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Conneticut, Oh man was this a smooth smoke. Light in body and flavor like Macanudos used to be before their production facility in Jamaica was destroyed by a hurricane. Smooth as silk right down to the nub and tons of creamy smoke at each draw. The draw was easy but not too free. Hints of leather and a touch of spice on the tongue. Easily the smoothest smoke I;ve ever had the pleasure of drawing on. It paired perfectly with a Jameson's 12 yr for the 1st half of the smoke. The 2nd half got strong in a very pleasant way, enough so that it drowned out the Irish whiskey that accompanied it. Bourbon would have been a better choice for the 2nd half.

If you like your cigars on the lighter side I can't recommend this one enough. And if you go for a stronger smoke, this one might be just the ticket for a lighter moment. Great quality cigar. Next time I come across this label I am buying a box to keep for times when a lighter smoke is just the ticket.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.