[OT] Cigars

Weave

Lets hear preferences. Styles, sizes, labels, tobacco, sellers, you name it. If it is about cigars, post it here.

To start things off.....

I won't claim to be a geek on this subject, but I have some preferences. I smoke 15 maybe 20 cigars most years, almost all of them between the months of May and September (although I'm well past 15 already this Summer thanks to several convenient vendors in the French Quarter a couple weeks ago). For me, a typical cigar moment involves a deck, a fire in the pit, and a glass of whiskey or port. Occassionally a Belgian Quadruple ale is my chosen accompaniment.

My wrapper tastes run to Conneticut shade grown EMS or maduro wrapper depending on my mood and the situation. Lately I lean more towards maduro. Most of my sticks tend to be Dominican made but it isn't a conscious choice.

As for shapes and sizes, I gravitate towards torpedos and 50 ring gauge. 5-1/2" to 6" is a nice length, not too long to become tiring to finish, but long enough that it isn't over while I'm still enjoying it. Ugh, there's a nasty joke in there somewhere. :blink:

Lately I've been buying mostly Cohibas and Romeo y Julietas. I like the soft, smooth smoke of a Macanudo from time to time but find them a bit bland. Picked up a bundle of 10 Partagas Conneticut wrapper torpedos in New Orleans and had the first one this past weekend. Was a nice flavorful smoke but had a loose draw. I hope the rest of them are a little tighter as the smoke was a bit hot. I've been known to buy Joya de Nicaragua from time to time. A Nicaraguan co-worker turned me on to them almost 15 years ago (holy crap, it's been that long?). They used to carry a ridiculously dark wrapper version that was heaven. Used to like to smoke Casa Blanca's too but haven't seen them in several years.

I buy my sticks in 5's or 10's. I don't smoke enough to justify purchasing an entire box and I like a little variety. At my old job there used to be four or five of us that smoked so we would buy 3 or 4 boxes and split them between us to get box prices and a little variety.

I buy most of my sticks online through JR Cigar and Cigars International. I'd like to buy from local retailers but 1. I live in a rural area so there are none and 2. NY tobacco taxes mean I can get sticks cheaper online so I do. Why drive into B-lo for my smokes AND pay the man a premium? When I was in NO I found a the store front for Pay Less Cigars they had good prices so I've got their web store bookmarked. We'll see what kind of shape their sticks arrive in after shipping before I give a recommendation.

Who's up next?

Very similar....although I go for the 4 1/2 - 5 range. (we're just askin for it now)....

Dominicans are the best in my opinion. You can get a $5 Dominican that is just as good as a $20 Cuban, 95% of the time. If you think Macanudo is a little bland, try their Robusto. When I used to buy boxes, I would smoke the Robusto Hyde Park, and Partagas Black as my go-to. I like a little more punch to my cigars, so that's probably why I don't mind the shorter sizes.

There are so many decent cigars out there but prices vary. I rarely smoke them anymore....but every now and then there is nothing better than going into a walk-in humidor and picking out 4 or 5 for a long weekend. The best cigar i ever smoked was an Arturo Fuente 100th anniversary that they only produced X number of. It was like the perfect woman....smooth and delicate yet strong with presence. You couldn't find them after Mike's got that small batch.

When I smoked ( about 11 years ago ) I used to really enjoy Al Capones which were more of a cigar-ette. Or small cigar. They were similar to what Eastwood smoked in his dusters and you could actually inhale which I would never do with the Cubans. Funny story for all you Americans. When one of the big U.S. Navy ships would often stop in Victoria,B.C. for a weekend and all the sailors would enjoy a few days taking in the sights and what not the few specialty cigar shops in town would sell out all of their stock of cubans and do really brisk business. I suppose because of the embargo the U.S. has against anything Cuban and the fact that the ships don't go through customs. I think the sailors probably loaded up with gifts for friends and family as well. I'm sure those store owners look forward to the ships arrival with visions of greenbacks dancing in their heads.

Dominicans are the best in my opinion. You can get a $5 Dominican that is just as good as a $20 Cuban, 95% of the time.

Quality-wise I agree 100%, but flavor-wise, Cuban smokes are just different. I'm sure it's the soil or the climate but the few Cubans I've had have a different quality to them. Dominicans come closest to Cubans in flavor but they aren't quite the same.

Most enjoyable cigar I've ever had was a Cuban Cohiba. I like the DR Cohibas but they are a different animal than their communist counterparts. Delicious but different.

Quality-wise I agree 100%, but flavor-wise, Cuban smokes are just different. I'm sure it's the soil or the climate but the few Cubans I've had have a different quality to them. Dominicans come closest to Cubans in flavor but they aren't quite the same.

Most enjoyable cigar I've ever had was a Cuban Cohiba. I like the DR Cohibas but they are a different animal than their communist counterparts. Delicious but different.

I know what you mean. I just think salary-cap wise.....A Cuban is like Dale Hawerchuck at $10 million a year, and a Dominican is like Mike Foligno at $2 million a year.

I never went out of my way to get Cubans in Miami. I had friends that would always have a humidor full to impress, and of course I would mooch off of them, but I am more a quality/value guy.

One of the best scores I ever made was the last year of the PBS TV auction in Buffalo. The Sabres were playing Ottawa in the playoffs and in the 3rd period, they put up a board of Duty Free Shop cigars. I ended up almost sweeping the board for like 40% of cost because everyone was watching the game!

I know what you mean. I just think salary-cap wise.....A Cuban is like Dale Hawerchuck at $10 million a year, and a Dominican is like Mike Foligno at $2 million a year.

I never went out of my way to get Cubans in Miami. I had friends that would always have a humidor full to impress, and of course I would mooch off of them, but I am more a quality/value guy.

I've never actually purchased a Cuban cigar so quality/value-wise my Cuban experiences were approaching infinity. :P I have a good friend who married a gal with a Canadian ex-husband. Her and ex share a child. Ex frequently vacations in Cuba and brings back tasty little gifts for my buddy. I am very grateful that my buddy's wife has a freindly relationship with her 1st hubby. :thumbsup:

One of the best scores I ever made was the last year of the PBS TV auction in Buffalo. The Sabres were playing Ottawa in the playoffs and in the 3rd period, they put up a board of Duty Free Shop cigars. I ended up almost sweeping the board for like 40% of cost because everyone was watching the game!

Great story and great score. I mentioned my Nicaraguan co-worker upthread. He turned me on to Joya de Nicaragua because he has a relative back home that is in the business. I don't recall if he was a distributor or what but my co-worker used to come back from trips home with several boxes of JdN products. We were purchasing them at wholesale prices. And of course coming in on an airliner in personal luggage there was no tarifs involved either. We were getting those sticks for around $0.50 per. Today JdN sticks run in the neighborhood of $7 a smoke. Why did I quit that job anyway?

Cigars are surrogates...

(Judging from the crowd, I was gonna get killed anyway).

But still, cigars are surrogates...

In all seriousness, I had a couple of Cubans when I was in Spain quite a few years ago. They tasted like Phillies Blunts to me. I just can't appreciate cigars like some can; those of you who do, enjoy!

I've been smoking cigars since I started college and my first was a CAO Cx2 that I got for free in a promotion they were running at the launch of the brand, so I have a soft spot for CAOs.

I've smoked a number of cigars, but my newest interest is one the local shop sells by Oliva. It's a fair price and a good smoke. Another local shop has a house stick that is long fill with Connecticut wrap which is good for price point.

I also smoke a pipe but I haven't in quite a while. I need more tobacco.

I've been smoking cigars since I started college and my first was a CAO Cx2 that I got for free in a promotion they were running at the launch of the brand, so I have a soft spot for CAOs.

I've smoked a number of cigars, but my newest interest is one the local shop sells by Oliva. It's a fair price and a good smoke. Another local shop has a house stick that is long fill with Connecticut wrap which is good for price point.

I would get into pipe-smoking if it wouldn't make me look like even more of a pretentious prick than I already am. That's really the only reason I haven't tried it; I'd just look like a smug little sh*t (even though I'm not very young).

I would get into pipe-smoking if it wouldn't make me look like even more of a pretentious prick than I already am. That's really the only reason I haven't tried it; I'd just look like a smug little sh*t (even though I'm not very young).

But it's so tasty! I suggest you do it anyway. :thumbsup:

I bought a Kaywoodie pipe last year and a couple different tobaccos for it. The tobaccos I bought are very tasty indeed but I get very frustrated with the pipe. I can't really get the hang of packing it properly and find that after one or two puffs I end up re-lighting. And frequent re-lighting seems to result in a hot smoke and tongue bite. I think I've picked up the pipe once this season. A cigar is much more relaxing right now simply because I light it once and casually puff away betwen sips of booze and tidbits of conversation.

Smoking should be relaxing and I can't get the pipe down well enough to really relax with it.

I say go for it. there is no way anything is going to make you into more of a pretentious prick than you already are. :P

Very similar tastes to both you, Weave and GODD.

I really started about 14 years ago when my second daughter was born and I was so happy and doing well enough workwise that my enthusiasm got the best of me and instead of the cheap king edwards it's a girl I headed down to a smoke shop with a walk in humidor and bought a full box of mild lucienados panatella's. With the stickers it's a girl and a box of the pink bubble gum cigars I made the rounds sharing my joy, problem is most people chose the bubble gum instead of real. So I started taking the leftovers to my every 2-3 week golf games as I found the smoke keeps the gnats and flies down and two children later and the rest is history.

I enjoy about 15-25 a year mainly during golf season but also for special occasions and for the occasional weekend backyard firepit nights. I am now smoking medium mainly but also an occasional full bodied. I enjoy both connecticut shade and broadleaf/maduro wrappers. I like the 42 to 48 band width in a corona, lonsdale, churchhill or torpedo typically. I can stretch the churchill or torpedo best for 9 holes on the course. I prefer the long filler but a medium is fine.

Like my drinking I do not stick with just one kind so I do not buy full boxes of one type.

For my buying style, quantites and the best deals on cigars that I like I use Holts mail order.

They offer seasonal variations and deals of mixed brand samplers (e.g.like the cigar afficiedo 93 sampler) and 6 pack specials. Over time and for the amount I smoke I have narrowed my favorite brands down.

For the price my regular golf cigar is now a Rocky patel decade, Vintage 1990 or 1992, or edge square. When in the mood for a mild smoke their new velvet is excellant and a very good starter for someone new to it trying it.

For special occasions or a treat for me I like the Arturo Fuentes, Ashton VSG or a padron 1964 anniversary as my favorites. I have tried many other excellant cigars but these are the ones I can regularly find the best deals and prices on.

A new friend of mine and I just started trading our likes so for a full bodied but strong cigar not for the faint of heart I can say Drew estate is a very good kick butt cigar but like another here said nothing beats a true cuban cigar or at least from what I have sampled to date. So if someone you know is going to Mexico ask them to pick you one up, they know at the smoke shops to switch the cigar band to domestic brand. it's worth it to at least try it once.

I like CAO...they are a Pominville/Hecht sort of cigar. You can't get let down by it on the backend but it's upside is limited. They are a nice everyday smoke, especially if you can get a deal.

Very similar tastes to both you, Weave and GODD.

I really started about 14 years ago when my second daughter was born and I was so happy and doing well enough workwise that my enthusiasm got the best of me and instead of the cheap king edwards it's a girl I headed down to a smoke shop with a walk in humidor and bought a full box of mild lucienados panatella's. With the stickers it's a girl and a box of the pink bubble gum cigars I made the rounds sharing my joy, problem is most people chose the bubble gum instead of real. So I started taking the leftovers to my every 2-3 week golf games as I found the smoke keeps the gnats and flies down and two children later and the rest is history.

I enjoy about 15-25 a year mainly during golf season but also for special occasions and for the occasional weekend backyard firepit nights. I am now smoking medium mainly but also an occasional full bodied. I enjoy both connecticut shade and broadleaf/maduro wrappers. I like the 42 to 48 band width in a corona, lonsdale, churchhill or torpedo typically. I can stretch the churchill or torpedo best for 9 holes on the course. I prefer the long filler but a medium is fine.

Like my drinking I do not stick with just one kind so I do not buy full boxes of one type.

For my buying style, quantites and the best deals on cigars that I like I use Holts mail order.

They offer seasonal variations and deals of mixed brand samplers (e.g.like the cigar afficiedo 93 sampler) and 6 pack specials. Over time and for the amount I smoke I have narrowed my favorite brands down.

For the price my regular golf cigar is now a Rocky patel decade, Vintage 1990 or 1992, or edge square. When in the mood for a mild smoke their new velvet is excellant and a very good starter for someone new to it trying it.

For special occasions or a treat for me I like the Arturo Fuentes, Ashton VSG or a padron 1964 anniversary as my favorites. I have tried many other excellant cigars but these are the ones I can regularly find the best deals and prices on.

A new friend of mine and I just started trading our likes so for a full bodied but strong cigar not for the faint of heart I can say Drew estate is a very good kick butt cigar but like another here said nothing beats a true cuban cigar or at least from what I have sampled to date. So if someone you know is going to Mexico ask them to pick you one up, they know at the smoke shops to switch the cigar band to domestic brand. it's worth it to at least try it once.

Great stuff. I have never tried Drew estate, so I need to now.

You really do have similar tastes. Rocky Patel won't let you down, and the Ashton VSG......I haven't had one in ages but remember it well. If I had to compare to a player....maybe a Scott Niedermayer. Just a really smooth draw with a tinge of pop and you can't go wrong. Rob on the other hand is more of a Marlboro Snus sort of fella.

Arturo Fuentes makes a nice everything, but back in the day they could overcharge.

I don't gravitate to the Churchill and just like the 20 minute smoke or so. It probably has to do with the fact that the horseraces are 20-30 minutes between each one.

Drew Estate......I'm in....

Having worked in a smoke shop for several years in a previous life, I've smoked just about everything mentioned here and in total probably over 75 brands. Arturo Fuente was my smoke o choice and I've always been partial to medium length stogies. While i enjoy Macanudo, they may be a victim of their own hype. I smoked primarily Dominican. I stear real clear of Mexican smokes, just no smoothness what so ever.

Having worked in a smoke shop for several years in a previous life, I've smoked just about everything mentioned here and in total probably over 75 brands. Arturo Fuente was my smoke o choice and I've always been partial to medium length stogies. While i enjoy Macanudo, they may be a victim of their own hype. I smoked primarily Dominican. I stear real clear of Mexican smokes, just no smoothness what so ever.

Agreed with the Mexican tobaccos. Have yet to find a Mex label that I've enjoyed.

I bought a Kaywoodie pipe last year and a couple different tobaccos for it. The tobaccos I bought are very tasty indeed but I get very frustrated with the pipe. I can't really get the hang of packing it properly and find that after one or two puffs I end up re-lighting. And frequent re-lighting seems to result in a hot smoke and tongue bite. I think I've picked up the pipe once this season. A cigar is much more relaxing right now simply because I light it once and casually puff away betwen sips of booze and tidbits of conversation.

Smoking should be relaxing and I can't get the pipe down well enough to really relax with it.

I tried a pipe years ago, even before I was into cigars. I always had the issues you describe, which was very frustrating and off-putting. I started smoking hand-rolled cigars about six months before the cigar boom in the 90's. I always found them to be much more enjoyable, experience-wise. I do miss some of flavor and aroma of the pipe tobacco, though. There are a few companies that make cigars with what is basically pipe tobacco as a filler (I'll get some names posted shortly). I have not tried them but this may be the way to go....

Ooof....best gig ever.

Swamped at work - not enough time for a full response. I smoke about 20-25 cigars a year.

cubans are good - that they are the forbidden fruit makes people think they are better than they truly are. Fuente's, as a brand, are very good. Try Acid cigars - a real taste sensation. My preferred everyday smoke is Hoyo de Monterray Excaliburs - full body with a Connecticut shade wrapper. Very consistent from year to year and decade to decade.

I love a big fat cigar - 50+ and five - six inches is preferred. If I am going with one of the really high end long aged smokes I will often reach for a pyramid. When it comes to Cubans, give me a Romeo & Juliet Pyramid or a box pressed cohiba double corona.

I don't smoke cigars nearly as much as I used to, I'd say I'm at like 5 a year now. But when I used to keep a humidor and smoke more regularly I preferred robustos. A. Fuente, montesino and romeo & julieta were my go to stogies usually. Has anyone ever been to the JR outlets down here in NC? I've been to the one on I-40 in Burlington a few times, the walk in humidor is massive.

Swamped at work - not enough time for a full response. I smoke about 20-25 cigars a year.

cubans are good - that they are the forbidden fruit makes people think they are better than they truly are. Fuente's, as a brand, are very good. Try Acid cigars - a real taste sensation. My preferred everyday smoke is Hoyo de Monterray Excaliburs - full body with a Connecticut shade wrapper. Very consistent from year to year and decade to decade.

I love a big fat cigar - 50+ and five - six inches is preferred. If I am going with one of the really high end long aged smokes I will often reach for a pyramid. When it comes to Cubans, give me a Romeo & Juliet Pyramid or a box pressed cohiba double corona.

Hoyo de Monteray is a really good value. I've got some in the humidor right now.

Another really mild cigar that is tougher to find is La Unica. It's good for someone not used to smoking, but nice enough for someone who just wants something simple.

Lets hear preferences. Styles, sizes, labels, tobacco, sellers, you name it. If it is about cigars, post it here.

To start things off.....

I won't claim to be a geek on this subject, but I have some preferences. I smoke 15 maybe 20 cigars most years, almost all of them between the months of May and September (although I'm well past 15 already this Summer thanks to several convenient vendors in the French Quarter a couple weeks ago). For me, a typical cigar moment involves a deck, a fire in the pit, and a glass of whiskey or port. Occassionally a Belgian Quadruple ale is my chosen accompaniment.

My wrapper tastes run to Conneticut shade grown EMS or maduro wrapper depending on my mood and the situation. Lately I lean more towards maduro. Most of my sticks tend to be Dominican made but it isn't a conscious choice.

As for shapes and sizes, I gravitate towards torpedos and 50 ring gauge. 5-1/2" to 6" is a nice length, not too long to become tiring to finish, but long enough that it isn't over while I'm still enjoying it. Ugh, there's a nasty joke in there somewhere. :blink:

Lately I've been buying mostly Cohibas and Romeo y Julietas. I like the soft, smooth smoke of a Macanudo from time to time but find them a bit bland. Picked up a bundle of 10 Partagas Conneticut wrapper torpedos in New Orleans and had the first one this past weekend. Was a nice flavorful smoke but had a loose draw. I hope the rest of them are a little tighter as the smoke was a bit hot. I've been known to buy Joya de Nicaragua from time to time. A Nicaraguan co-worker turned me on to them almost 15 years ago (holy crap, it's been that long?). They used to carry a ridiculously dark wrapper version that was heaven. Used to like to smoke Casa Blanca's too but haven't seen them in several years.

I buy my sticks in 5's or 10's. I don't smoke enough to justify purchasing an entire box and I like a little variety. At my old job there used to be four or five of us that smoked so we would buy 3 or 4 boxes and split them between us to get box prices and a little variety.

I buy most of my sticks online through JR Cigar and Cigars International. I'd like to buy from local retailers but 1. I live in a rural area so there are none and 2. NY tobacco taxes mean I can get sticks cheaper online so I do. Why drive into B-lo for my smokes AND pay the man a premium? When I was in NO I found a the store front for Pay Less Cigars they had good prices so I've got their web store bookmarked. We'll see what kind of shape their sticks arrive in after shipping before I give a recommendation.

Who's up next?

Good topic. I prefer a maduro wrapper myself. LaFlor Dominicano and La Gloria Cubano are nice and Padron reserve or anniversary are really nice but a bit pricey. Smoke too many, but I started because it helps my concentration. Especially like a cigar with a Racing Form and cold beer.

Hoyo de Monteray is a really good value. I've got some in the humidor right now.

Another really mild cigar that is tougher to find is La Unica. It's good for someone not used to smoking, but nice enough for someone who just wants something simple.

Yep, La Unica / Montesino were my go to "everyday" cigars.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.