[OT] Cigars

Weave

It was a beautiful night out last night - so much so that I had two cigars. The first was labeled a Cuban Cohiba, but I think it was a fake. I've had the real thing before, and this one didn't have the same spice on the tongue that I remember. Nevertheless, it was a smooth drawing great smoke. Second was a maduro Fuente that was also a damn good smoke, but reminded me why I prefer Connecticut Shade to Maduro. Just doesn't do it for me.

What was supposed to be a warmup last night for today's marathon turned into a 10k. Time to grease up and seize the day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I mentioned just a few posts above this one that last Spring I had a Rocky Patel vintage 1999 and found it to be mild, but it was also the smoothest, easiest smoking cigar I have ever had. Just fantastic for a Friday evening wind down. A simple, easy, uncomplicated, yet high quality cigar. The Sierra Nevada Pale Ale of the cigar world. I splurged yesterday. We found ourselves at a new-ish brew pub in Wilson called Woodcock Brothers. Very nice beers and an awesome venue. And the food was pretty damned tasty too. But I digress......

on the way home I detoured onto the Indian reservation outside of Wheatfield and hit up Smokin' Joes. They have an excellent cigar selection, a full room humidor. I've always found their stock to be well cared for and properly humidified. And if it is out there, Smokin' Joes probably has it in stock. Anywho...... I bought a full box of RP Vintage 1999's. Now I'll have them on hand when I want a nice, simple smoke.

Man I haven't had a cigar in quite some time. The days are getting longer and a lil milder. Spring is around the corner. I think it'll be time again soon. :)

I was kind of Jonesing for a smoke on Saturday, hence the idea to hit the smoke shop. I am not-so-patiently waiting for deck sitting weather.

Usually whern I hit up a cigar retailer I'll buy 2 or 3 of a number of different cigars. I like to try things I haven't had before. But those RP 1999's were so damned nice smoking that I was determined to have a bunch of them around this year.

I was kind of Jonesing for a smoke on Saturday, hence the idea to hit the smoke shop. I am not-so-patiently waiting for deck sitting weather.

Usually whern I hit up a cigar retailer I'll buy 2 or 3 of a number of different cigars. I like to try things I haven't had before. But those RP 1999's were so damned nice smoking that I was determined to have a bunch of them around this year.

I know how that goes. I usually try to mix things up but I like to stick to what I like. If I could afford it I'd stock Montecristo Number 2s year round but I have debts to pay :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Bump.

Also:  I had a Cohiba Siglo over the weekend, to cap off a great meal of ribs and baked mac'n'cheese.

Freaking awesome.

I could kiss you.  Thought this thread was forever banished to archive.

I foolishly bought a bunch of Gurkha's last fall because it was a good deal, I had just gotten a humidor I wanted to fill, and it came with a nice lighter, which I didn't have. Regretting it now. They're not even that bad, they're just HUGE, and not really my style. Forcing myself to have those first to clear some room in the humidor before smoking anymore of my preferred Undercrowns.

Anyone have any suggestions for shorties? I like the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story, I think I might pick some more up. I like having a short smoke for mowing the lawn, or when I don't want to/have the time to make a full hour or so commitment to a cigar.

I foolishly bought a bunch of Gurkha's last fall because it was a good deal, I had just gotten a humidor I wanted to fill, and it came with a nice lighter, which I didn't have. Regretting it now. They're not even that bad, they're just HUGE, and not really my style. Forcing myself to have those first to clear some room in the humidor before smoking anymore of my preferred Undercrowns.

Anyone have any suggestions for shorties? I like the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story, I think I might pick some more up. I like having a short smoke for mowing the lawn, or when I don't want to/have the time to make a full hour or so commitment to a cigar.

I'll come help you with those Gurhkas.

The short stories are well regarded. I would look towards Brevas sized cigars. I think that's your fit. This offer is intriguing: http://www.famous-smoke.com//fonseca+serie+f+breva+cigars/item+37118

Seriously, pop over any time, lol.

Brevas, I'll have to remember that, those look about right.

They bill them as "after dinner cigars" which is exactly the right description.

I might pop by next week. This week has been crazy at work and there's no way I'm going anywhere tonight. It's a good problem to have I suppose :unsure:

I tried my first Alec Bradley the other day. Very nice. I agree with sabills about Gurkhas. They are not necessarily a bad smoke. The ones I've had in the occasional sampler have been fat ole sticks. Good Lord. I don't have that kind of time. Ever. I'm glad this thread was resurrected. Even if I don't post much I will be reading. I'm tired of the some old smokes. What have you got for me try?

I tried my first Alec Bradley the other day. Very nice. I agree with sabills about Gurkhas. They are not necessarily a bad smoke. The ones I've had in the occasional sampler have been fat ole sticks. Good Lord. I don't have that kind of time. Ever. I'm glad this thread was resurrected. Even if I don't post much I will be reading. I'm tired of the some old smokes. What have you got for me try?

What do you normally like to smoke?  Preferences for tobacco origin?  Strength?  Wrapper?

What do you normally like to smoke? Preferences for tobacco origin? Strength? Wrapper?

I only have room for 50 so I was trying samplers for a while. I've learned that I like coronas mostly. I like to keep some toros for when I am drunkish. They seem to be easy to burn in that state. I've been filling my stores with man o war and macanudo recently. There are a few red dots and a couple unwrapped Cubans. I don't mind a longer smoke if it's really good. No preference to origin, strength or wrapper as long as it stays on the damn thing. I've been tempted to try some of those ugly unwrapped sticks

I see. They look tasty.

Think anyone could help me out? I'm new to cigar smoking personally but really enjoy the experience. If someone could take me through cigar 101 it would be much appreciated! I quoted weave but this is open to anyone who would like to share their expertise. 

What are the flavor profiles for the most common places of tobacco origin? 

What's the importance of the wrapper?
What's your favorite cigar and why is it your favorite?
Thanks everyone!

Oh man, you need a book to read.

Yeah you're telling me! Like I said, brand new to the whole activity. I've had probably 3 or 4 different cigars and I've taken a liking to it so now I need to find "my" cigar.

I started in on cigars in earnest four years ago. I think that you will find you like many. I bought a small humidor and just keep experimenting. I use cigars international. I've been buying samplers until recently.(you will learn both what you like and what you will throw in the fire) I suggest a full humidor, some Google research and a lot of campires, nights on the deck and many many beers. Good luck bro.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.