[OT] Cigars

Weave

Think anyone could help me out? I'm new to cigar smoking personally but really enjoy the experience. If someone could take me through cigar 101 it would be much appreciated! I quoted weave but this is open to anyone who would like to share their expertise. 

What are the flavor profiles for the most common places of tobacco origin? 

What's the importance of the wrapper?
What's your favorite cigar and why is it your favorite?
Thanks everyone!

Here is some reading material to get you started.  

Tobacco origin info  https://www.jrcigars.com/university/cigar-regions

Wrappers  http://www.cigarbox.net/cigar-info/wrappers/

As for my preferneces:

I prefer Dominican and Ecuadorian tobaccos.  Right mix of strength and smoothness of flavor for me.  Granted, how the tobacco is handled has as much to do with smoothness as origin does.  I find Honduran and Nicaraguan tobaccos to be more spicy and robust generally.  I'm not a fan of Mexican tobaccos.  The ones I've tried were all stronger than I like and not smooth..  I have found Indonesian tobaccos to be spicier than I prefer.  But again, how the maker cures and handles the tobacco is probably most important, I think.

I gravitate generally towards Connecticut wrappers.  They are flavorful, but smooth, and kind of neutral.  It used to be that Jamaica had a thriving wrapper tobacco industry and I sought out labels with Jamaican wrappers but the plantations were wiped out in a hurricane maybe a decade ago.  They were even softer and milder than Connecticut shade wrappers IMO.  If that industry rebounds (maybe it has?) I'd jump on them.  I also like Ecuadorian grown wrappers.  Again, they tend to be milder in flavor and strength.  I'm not a fan of Sumatra wrappers.  They are a little different in flavor.  I can't really put my finger on it.  I do enjoy a maduro or Oscuro wrapper from time to time.  They are rich and have lots of depth, without resulting in a stronger smoke.

I like torpedo shapes.  Don't have a concrete reason why.  50 ring gauge is what I usually go for. Good compromise between amount of tobacco that I am consuming and flavor.  Generally, larger ring sizes will provide more flavor.  It should, as you are taking in more tobacco smoke.   I find 6" length to be a good combination of time with a smoke and quality of smoke.  You'll find that after a bit, the enjoyment level of the cigar will quickly taper off.  There are some theories about this.  Tar and oil build up is one thought.  Anyway, with a 6" cigar I can usually enjoy 2/3 of the cigar before that unpleasantness kicks in and I put it out.  I find that if I go to a shorter cigar, once I've smoked it down a ways the draw gets hot.  With a 6" cigar I usually put it out before the draw gets hot.

When Jamaican tobaccos were available I used to buy a label called Casa Blanca. they were all Jamaican tobacco, shade grown wrappers, and were smooth and mild.  Very mild really.  The last couple of years I've been buying mostly Rockey Patel Vintage 1999's.  On the mild side, with Connecticut grown wrappers.  Great mix of flavors for me. But I like cigars generally on the mild side.

Personally, I'd stay away from anything with a sweetened tip.  In my experience that sugar is there to hide inferior tobacco.  Once the sugar is gone they taste like crap.

All this is very much my opinion.  Based on what my taste buds prefer.

• 2 months later...

So, Friday night and weather warm enough for deck-sitting means I brought out a smoke. Had a new-to-me cigar, Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Conneticut, Oh man was this a smooth smoke. Light in body and flavor like Macanudos used to be before their production facility in Jamaica was destroyed by a hurricane. Smooth as silk right down to the nub and tons of creamy smoke at each draw. The draw was easy but not too free. Hints of leather and a touch of spice on the tongue. Easily the smoothest smoke I;ve ever had the pleasure of drawing on. It paired perfectly with a Jameson's 12 yr for the 1st half of the smoke. The 2nd half got strong in a very pleasant way, enough so that it drowned out the Irish whiskey that accompanied it. Bourbon would have been a better choice for the 2nd half.

If you like your cigars on the lighter side I can't recommend this one enough. And if you go for a stronger smoke, this one might be just the ticket for a lighter moment. Great quality cigar. Next time I come across this label I am buying a box to keep for times when a lighter smoke is just the ticket.

You could write copy for one of the cigar magazines. Also, you would probably like an Ashton, if you haven't tried it already. Not super cheap, but a world class lighter-bodied cigar.

You could write copy for one of the cigar magazines. Also, you would probably like an Ashton, if you haven't tried it already. Not super cheap, but a world class lighter-bodied cigar.

Ashton Cabinet series used to be a regular buy for me.  I should revisit.  And thanks.

For those who prefer the milder smokes, I've had a few Oliva Serie Vs that were pretty good.  Also, I've never met a Rocky Patel Vintage cigar that I didn't like...  :thumbsup:

Serie V is one of my top smokes. Oliva in general pushes my buttons pretty well.

I had a Rocky Patel Vintage '03 Cameroon last weekend. It was nice. I love Cameroon. The first cigar I ever smoked was a CAO Cameroon X2, which they don't even make anymore. It was a promo thing back when the company was brand new. I always look for Cameroon when I'm at a cigar shop. 

Speaking of CAO, two weeks ago I had a CAO Flathead Carb. It's part of a muscle car themed line of cigars. http://caocigars.com/the-lineup/new-age/flathead/

It was a very good smoke. I was rather surprised. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh crap. Hit the delete button for my post asking about Santiago cigars. Meant to hit the quote button. Oh well.

So, i made a total impulse purchase of a Rochester made Santiago cigar at a wine festival in Dunkirk last Sunday. I selected a 50 ring gauge torpedo made with DR fillers and a spiral of both maduro and conneticut shade wrapper. Sort of a chocolate-vanilla twist. Lit it up a few minutes ago and am enjoying it with a glass of Evan Williams black label, rocks.

1/3 of the way in and its a really nice smoke. Leather and spice. Tons of creamy smoke. I'd call it medium strength. Draws easy. A hint of bitter cocoa. Nice, long ash.

This is a damned nice smoke. Getting stronger as the cigar gets shorter. Nice pair with the bourbon.

Oh crap. Hit the delete button for my post asking about Santiago cigars. Meant to hit the quote button. Oh well.

So, i made a total impulse purchase of a Rochester made Santiago cigar at a wine festival in Dunkirk last Sunday. I selected a 50 ring gauge torpedo made with DR fillers and a spiral of both maduro and conneticut shade wrapper. Sort of a chocolate-vanilla twist. Lit it up a few minutes ago and am enjoying it with a glass of Evan Williams black label, rocks.

1/3 of the way in and its a really nice smoke. Leather and spice. Tons of creamy smoke. I'd call it medium strength. Draws easy. A hint of bitter cocoa. Nice, long ash.

This is a damned nice smoke. Getting stronger as the cigar gets shorter. Nice pair with the bourbon.

Hmm. Interesting. I suppose I haven't looked for cigar shops around here in a while, because I should have found it sooner.

What was the price on that candy cane?

Hmm. Interesting. I suppose I haven't looked for cigar shops around here in a while, because I should have found it sooner.

What was the price on that candy cane?

$10 for one. He told me he'd charge $8 if i bought 3. Next time I'll buy 3.

I'm past the halfway point and still digging it but it is getting stronger.

Edit- the baggie has an address of 355 East Ave, suite 2.

Edited by weave

$10 for one. He told me he'd charge $8 if i bought 3. Next time I'll buy 3.

I'm past the halfway point and still digging it but it is getting stronger.

Edit- the baggie has an address of 355 East Ave, suite 2.

Yup. A quick Google search yielded their site. I might have to stop in there next weekend.

Very similar....although I go for the 4 1/2 - 5 range. (we're just askin for it now)....

Dominicans are the best in my opinion. You can get a $5 Dominican that is just as good as a $20 Cuban, 95% of the time. If you think Macanudo is a little bland, try their Robusto. When I used to buy boxes, I would smoke the Robusto Hyde Park, and Partagas Black as my go-to. I like a little more punch to my cigars, so that's probably why I don't mind the shorter sizes.

There are so many decent cigars out there but prices vary. I rarely smoke them anymore....but every now and then there is nothing better than going into a walk-in humidor and picking out 4 or 5 for a long weekend. The best cigar i ever smoked was an Arturo Fuente 100th anniversary that they only produced X number of. It was like the perfect woman....smooth and delicate yet strong with presence. You couldn't find them after Mike's got that small batch.

Love Dominicans, I was there for a month last year for work. Great cigar bars, selling hand rolled everywhere. Stateside, Nat Sherman timeless is what I smoke.

• 1 year later...

I tried. I tried to like it. Sat outside on our first 80 degree day with a glass of bourbon and a cigar(the name escapes me at the moment. I had looked it up, it wasn't cheap and had good reviews. Boss gave it to me for Christmas.) I tapped out after half an hour. Couldn't get the damn taste out of my mouth for 2 days. It was one of the worst experiences ever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.