Will there be anymore deals?

BetterDays06

Putting Stastny at center would allow Hecht and Leino to stay on the wings where they belong.

On what basis do you say Leino 'belongs' on the wings? Just because the Flyers used him there? What about the fact that he played C before he came to the NHL?

Let's see him play some games at centre before banishing him to the wings.

I guess I really started something with my stance on not moving Ennis.

I haven't had a player that was special to me on the Sabres since the 70's. At that time they were Dudley and Spencer. But now, for the first time in decades, Ennis is definitely my favorite Sabre (in case that wasn't obvious).

I think I've shown that right now Stastny = Roy. The stats bear that out. To me Ennis is a "scary good" star of the future and we should keep him. Of course he has trade value, great trade value in fact. But NJ doesn't want to trade Parise...Anaheim doesn't want to trade Perry...Washington doesn't want to trade Ovechkin...what I'm saying here is that these teams have needs that they would like to have filled but they won't trade their best wingers to do it.

I'm not saying Ennis = Ovechkin. I'm saying that the best wingers on a team are not traded, they are kept for the future and Ennis has a very bright future.

Case closed.

Which players get moved will be interesting.

I'll throw my hat in the ring:

Morrisonn gets moved to the AHL or waived.

Kotalik gets moved to the AHL or Europe.

If either one of or both of these guys make the team that really puts the moves on the Wingers for sure.

I can also see the MacIntyre signing as an insurance policy against either an Enroth move/failure to sign or a collapse in his play.

There is a deal to be had here, we have an over abundance of talent, especially given how close Kassian and Adam are to NHL ready.

I think a trade gets done either before the start of the season or when/if Pomer's comes off of IR.

"*Buffalo: They have spent money like crazy, but I keep hearing they aren't yet done...they need a forward or two and the signing of Ehrhoff and Regehr has opened up options..."(EKLUND)

I know Eklund is not a very reliable source, he isn't stating names or anything. So I wonder if this could be true, are we really looking at getting another forward?? Thoughts please..

"*Buffalo: They have spent money like crazy, but I keep hearing they aren't yet done...they need a forward or two and the signing of Ehrhoff and Regehr has opened up options..."(EKLUND)

I know Eklund is not a very reliable source, he isn't stating names or anything. So I wonder if this could be true, are we really looking at getting another forward?? Thoughts please..

The man gets paid to generate traffic on his site, and the best way to do that is to mysteriously state the obvious without any definite proof.

Darcy has said if a trade opens up they will look into it, but are content with the roster as it stands now. Ecklund is just restating that sentiment without offering up any details in order to get people to do exactly what you just did.

It's a long summer, Ecklunds gotta try to pull in readers somehow.

On what basis do you say Leino 'belongs' on the wings? Just because the Flyers used him there? What about the fact that he played C before he came to the NHL?

His best (and last) year in Finland was when he was switched to the wing. Now, it was also a new team, new coach, and he may have been growing as a player, so I can't say for sure that it was all from going to wing. However, it certainly puts a little doubt in my mind that he will be better at center than at wing. Though, as has often been pointed out, he did function as a de facto center on Briere's line after the faceoff, so there is hope.

Darcy has said if a trade opens up they will look into it, but are content with the roster as it stands now.

They're saying they're content with the roster now because that puts them in a better position to make a trade. If Darcy said "We're desperate to make another move", any other team we talked to about a trade would know they can ask for more since the Sabres would be openly desperate to make a move.

The Sabres are clearly interested in making another move. I'm sure they're happy with the moves they've made and failing to make another one won't kill them, but they have to be interested in doing something else. We are arguably one really good center away from being legit Cup contenders this season.

I think it is clear as day Buffalo will be making a move at some point this offseason. Whether or not it is for a top line Center is another question. There is no question in my mind that we will move guys to clear our cap a bit. It's going to be interesting to see what pieces we move and what they return if we do in fact make a trade or 2.

Couldnt this have went into the "are there going to be any more deals?" thread that you started?

Have you read any of the 8,000 posts in regards to sending players to the minors to accomplish this very feat?

Not to necessarily defend the poster, but perhaps his point was that the Sabres will likely make a trade to a team looking to hit the salary cap floor that will create cap space for the Sabres without sending anyone to the AHL. For example, as much as everyone on here seems to think Shaone Morrisonn is pure garbage, there is likely a trade market for him, especially to a team that is below the salary cap floor that would be willing to take on his salary without having to waive him and send him to Rochester (which he likely would not report to anyway and be subject to not getting paid). I, for one, do not believe Shaone Morrisonn will start the season as part of the Sabres organ-eye-zation and will be traded because he does bring value to other teams and just had a sub-par injury riddled year but is a legitimate NHL player and not some scrub you send to the minors, but that's my thought, not necessarily the thought of the poster you were responding to.

I guess I really started something with my stance on not moving Ennis.

I haven't had a player that was special to me on the Sabres since the 70's. At that time they were Dudley and Spencer. But now, for the first time in decades, Ennis is definitely my favorite Sabre (in case that wasn't obvious).

I think I've shown that right now Stastny = Roy. The stats bear that out. To me Ennis is a "scary good" star of the future and we should keep him. Of course he has trade value, great trade value in fact. But NJ doesn't want to trade Parise...Anaheim doesn't want to trade Perry...Washington doesn't want to trade Ovechkin...what I'm saying here is that these teams have needs that they would like to have filled but they won't trade their best wingers to do it.

I'm not saying Ennis = Ovechkin. I'm saying that the best wingers on a team are not traded, they are kept for the future and Ennis has a very bright future.

Case closed.

Oh, well, as long as YOU closed the case ... is that all it takes? Do I have to agree now since you closed the case, or can I still think that MAYBE Ennis is NOT the Sabres best winger right now?

I really believe that there will not be any more moves and I'm fine with that.

I second this. Part of me hopes they do make another move, but I'm really excited about our guys like Ennis, Gerbe, Kassian, Weber, Foligno, etc, and that's what it would cost in a deal to really "upgrade" the team substantially. So I mean, if they don't make one, I'm totally fine with it and it may be better in the long run...

I really believe that there will not be any more moves and I'm fine with that.

I second this. Part of me hopes they do make another move, but I'm really excited about our guys like Ennis, Gerbe, Kassian, Weber, Foligno, etc, and that's what it would cost in a deal to really "upgrade" the team substantially. So I mean, if they don't make one, I'm totally fine with it and it may be better in the long run...

This is kind of where I stand also ... we have to be careful about trying to build a superteam in one offseason ... sometimes the right deal just isn't there. As long as they are keeping their eyes and ears open and have a plan in case something gets kicked loose ... and as long as they get Myers locked up long-term ... if they can get that done maybe by Jan.1 or something so that they know what they are dealing with money wise, who knows what happens down the stretch.

For example, as much as everyone on here seems to think Shaone Morrisonn is pure garbage, there is likely a trade market for him...

You are correct, morrisson will get traded not sent to rochester. Not because there is a market of all these under the floor teams but because he has requested a trade.

You are correct, morrisson will get traded not sent to rochester. Not because there is a market of all these under the floor teams but because he has requested a trade.

I must admit I forgot he was only 28 ... maybe because he played like he was 34 at times last season. At that age, I have to believe someone will find a place for him. Under different circumstances I would not mind him as the Sabres' 7th D, but not at that price with the alternatives they have.

Archived