Will there be anymore deals?

BetterDays06

I think there might be one deal left for the Sabres. I don't know what that might be, but I don't think every team is happy with their off season acquisitions. Ottawa looks terrible, Colorado only has goal tending now, and there are more teams that didn't get anything done. I think since the Sabres have such strong depth at wing, that teams might try and make a deal with them for a center. Everyones opinions???

Yes, I can see another trade getting done prior to the end of the off season.

My own belief is that one of the young D men, presumably Sekera or Gragnani in some sort of deal to bring in another center or maybe they go with Adam and get draft pick(s).

just to clarify we are trading the only center who is close to playing in the nhl for draft picks? shank me. :death:

just to clarify we are trading the only center who is close to playing in the nhl for draft picks? shank me. :death:

No, that's not what my post says.

My post implies the organization may go with Adam at center and 1 of Sekera or Gragnani may be moved for draft pick(s).

Hope that clears it up for you.

Yes, I can see another trade getting done prior to the end of the off season.

My own belief is that one of the young D men, presumably Sekera or Gragnani in some sort of deal to bring in another center or maybe they go with Adam and get draft pick(s).

That garbage isn't going to get you much, maybe a third line center if you are lucky. You want a first line center; Myers, Vanek, Roy or Kassian are going the other way, possibly more than one of them. You can't get top flight NHL talent for "a package" of players.

No, that's not what my post says.

My post implies the organization may go with Adam at center and 1 of Sekera or Gragnani may be moved for draft pick(s).

Hope that clears it up for you.

sekera cant be moved til after his arbitration award. MAG wont get you much with only a 15game sample from last season. Also i wont move either for draft picks. Adam may make the sabres on the third line but i see him starting the season in the NHL unless he does amazing in preseason. The sabres arent in pick stockpile mode. If anything gets traded for picks it will be a guy like Morrisonn or a kotalik, someone with salary whos older and the organization would have sent to rochester anyways.

That garbage isn't going to get you much, maybe a third line center if you are lucky. You want a first line center; Myers, Vanek, Roy or Kassian are going the other way, possibly more than one of them. You can't get top flight NHL talent for "a package" of players.

There's two ways you can go with it. If you think Roy and Leino can hold down the fort or even thrive you try to package a defenseman like Sekera or Morrison with a non blue chip prospect and possibly a draft pick and you look for a third line center to ensure Hecht and Boyes don't have to play there. If Darcy things he can pick up a first or second line center we'd have to package something better, such as Pominville and Ennis, along with a prospect or pick. The other thing to remember is that we're up against the cap so if we're going to go after a big money guy the other team has got to take equal money (or more) back with them. Or I guess Rochester can have the most expensive roster in the AHL.

As much as I'd love an undisputed top line center, I don't think anyone like that is available other than maybe Spezza which would really not help much since I'm pretty sure Ottawa would demand Roy in the deal among other things which would still put us short at the position. I'd be happy if we could land a 3rd line center who is responsible on defense, roll with Roy and Leino as your scoring line centers and have Adam as the 1st call up if/when either of those guys needs to miss time for sickness/injury.

My expectation is that if there are any trades at all in the rest of the offseason they will take one of two forms....

1. Morrisson has indicated that he doesn't want to be here anymore. I could see a swap of Morrisson for an AHL talent. Hockey Heaven doesn't include malcontents so I think this is pretty close to a given.

2. A salary dump to get us back under the cap without burying someone in Rochester. This one is less likely (especially if #1 occurs) but makes good monetary sense. Pegula may be Daddy Warbucks but he still has business acumen. He won't throw mony away that doesn't help the team.

My expectation is that if there are any trades at all in the rest of the offseason they will take one of two forms....

1. Morrisson has indicated that he doesn't want to be here anymore. I could see a swap of Morrisson for an AHL talent. Hockey Heaven doesn't include malcontents so I think this is pretty close to a given.

2. A salary dump to get us back under the cap without burying someone in Rochester. This one is less likely (especially if #1 occurs) but makes good monetary sense. Pegula may be Daddy Warbucks but he still has business acumen. He won't throw mony away that doesn't help the team.

1.I heard Paul Hamilton say that Morrison wants to be waived. Didn't like getting scratched, I guess.

2. It's not too hard to send an email around before finding out if you have a claimer before waivers...as in Craig Rivet.

I think there is probably one more trade in works .Seems others do too. Too many unresolved contracts right now , gotta be a deal cooking.If it works out it will probably cost dearly and take some significant pieces along with some of the guys treading water. Hopefully for the price they also take Kotilik to give darcy some cap.

I never stated a first line or 1A center. I merely said a center.

And yes, Sekera and a decent pick or 2 will most certainly land you a decent line 3 center.

Think Stoll.

I think you vastly under estimate Sekera's value, especially with the wheels he has.

Of course, you are somewhat correct, if he ends up with an arbitration award, it most likely will go up quite a bit, decreasing that value, but then, I would imagine Darcy takes all of these things and many more into consideration.

sekera cant be moved til after his arbitration award. MAG wont get you much with only a 15game sample from last season. Also i wont move either for draft picks. Adam may make the sabres on the third line but i see him starting the season in the NHL unless he does amazing in preseason. The sabres arent in pick stockpile mode. If anything gets traded for picks it will be a guy like Morrisonn or a kotalik, someone with salary whos older and the organization would have sent to rochester anyways.

Actually, both Sekera and/or Gragnani could be moved before arb if they agree to a deal with the team.

As for whether or not picks would be involved as opposed to a roster player, I am of the opinion that yes, a roster player would be the prime choice, but that picks would be entertained if the offer suited the value of either player.

After all, it isn't like Gragnani didn't lead the team in scoring against Philly in the playoffs, so I'd wager a bet that Darcy puts more value within the organization on him as opposed to Sekera. Just a guess though.

Actually, both Sekera and/or Gragnani could be moved before arb if they agree to a deal with the team.

As for whether or not picks would be involved as opposed to a roster player, I am of the opinion that yes, a roster player would be the prime choice, but that picks would be entertained if the offer suited the value of either player.

After all, it isn't like Gragnani didn't lead the team in scoring against Philly in the playoffs, so I'd wager a bet that Darcy puts more value within the organization on him as opposed to Sekera. Just a guess though.

As far as I know, MAG did not file for arbitration and his rights could be traded without his permission.

I've said this before. There is no need to get a 1st line center at this time. Another 3rd line center? Maybe, but that's not an urgency either.

Boston won the Cup with no superstar in the center position. Why can't we do the same?

At this time the top centers are treated as if they were made of platinum. Therefore if we were to make a deal, I'd go for someone like Hanzal in Phx or O'Reilly in Colorado. These guys are stars of the future. Oh sure, we have Adam but I think we need to look long and hard at whether he holds the potential of other guys we might acquire.

I never stated a first line or 1A center. I merely said a center.

And yes, Sekera and a decent pick or 2 will most certainly land you a decent line 3 center.

Think Stoll.

I think you vastly under estimate Sekera's value, especially with the wheels he has.

Of course, you are somewhat correct, if he ends up with an arbitration award, it most likely will go up quite a bit, decreasing that value, but then, I would imagine Darcy takes all of these things and many more into consideration.

I like Sekera as much as any poster on the board. He has tremendous talent. If all you are looking for is a solid third line guy Sekera plus a little might get you that.

I've said this before. There is no need to get a 1st line center at this time. Another 3rd line center? Maybe, but that's not an urgency either.

Boston won the Cup with no superstar in the center position. Why can't we do the same?

At this time the top centers are treated as if they were made of platinum. Therefore if we were to make a deal, I'd go for someone like Hanzal in Phx or O'Reilly in Colorado. These guys are stars of the future. Oh sure, we have Adam but I think we need to look long and hard at whether he holds the potential of other guys we might acquire.

This was my line of thinking as well. There is no rush here given the 3 year time frame voiced by Pegula.

I would think if a trade did come about (and it's likely there will be one coming given the cap space and RFA's yet to sign) it would be for a depth center, maybe 3rd line, maybe 4th.

I guess I'm just being conservative in that line of thinking, but with that being the case, I would have to imagine if it is Sekera or Gragnani to be moved (and once again, my money is on Sekera), I'd imagine a pick or 2, depending on the player coming back, would be included.

Just my opinion however.

But yes, I do agree with you if it is to be a trade, it would more than likely be that 3rd line center position.

I would like to see Adam do another season in the AHL to further improve his skills.

I don't know, but if LA is interested, I'd be more than interested in Stoll, if it's a package deal that gets him, fine. As long as it's fair value, he would be a fantastic addition to this team in my opinion. I'd love to see him centering Gerbe and Kassian.

As far as I know, MAG did not file for arbitration and his rights could be traded without his permission.

Yea, I just lumped them together to shorten the post.

But your correct. As I eluded to in my earlier post, I believe Darcy keeps Gragnani, he was a playoff performer, something this team lacks. Or atleast had lacked.

Why would the team make a move for a third line center, they have Gausad. While they didnt make the big splash to get a true number one center they now a decent run down the middle with Roy, Leino, Gaustad and McCormick. Yeah only decent but number one centers arent easy to get. Perhaps next offseason.

I'd be surprised if Gragnani didn't make the roster at least at the 7th spot. But i wouldn't be shocked if they moved Sekera after his arb hearing, he didnt play his way into the roster until Rivet was gone.

Why would the team make a move for a third line center, they have Gausad. While they didnt make the big splash to get a true number one center they now a decent run down the middle with Roy, Leino, Gaustad and McCormick. Yeah only decent but number one centers arent easy to get. Perhaps next offseason.

I'd be surprised if Gragnani didn't make the roster at least at the 7th spot. But i wouldn't be shocked if they moved Sekera after his arb hearing, he didnt play his way into the roster until Rivet was gone.

I don't believe McCormick will be utilized as a regular center. He'll most likely end up where he played last season, on the LW.

And it's not just what's on the roster, our center depth throughout our pipeline is so thin cellophane is showing envy over it :unsure:

1.I heard Paul Hamilton say that Morrison wants to be waived. Didn't like getting scratched, I guess.

2. It's not too hard to send an email around before finding out if you have a claimer before waivers...as in Craig Rivet.

Yeah, on some level I don't blame Morrisonn. He's in the prime of his career (28) and has value for someone.... given his salary and the fact that we need some cap space, I definitely think he'll be moved soon.

I always liked our prior strategy of signing a grizzled veteran with a little bit of gas left in the tank (Patrick, Numminen, etc.) to be the 7th defenseman. Even without, we'd have a very strong 7 with MAG, Leo, Reggie, Myers, Ehrhoff, Regehr, and Weber.

A little late to the discussion but you are bang on the money. Look at the Bruins Centers, and they won the cup. Krejci lead the centres in points with 62 and scored 13 goals. Bergeron was next with 57 points and Marchand had 41 points. Let's just get that third line center and we should be good. Miller is good in net and with our improved D, we're not that far off from Boston's talent.

Actually, both Sekera and/or Gragnani could be moved before arb if they agree to a deal with the team.As for whether or not picks would be involved as opposed to a roster player, I am of the opinion that yes, a roster player would be the prime choice, but that picks would be entertained if the offer suited the value of either player.After all, it isn't like Gragnani didn't lead the team in scoring against Philly in the playoffs, so I'd wager a bet that Darcy puts more value within the organization on him as opposed to Sekera. Just a guess though.

Actually MAG didnt file for salary arb and obviously if sekera signs with the team they wouldnt go to arbitration. There is no reason to move any defense on this team outside of Morrisonn for picks. It doesnt make sense unless its a varlamov type of deal where a 1st rounder is coming back.

This was my line of thinking as well. There is no rush here given the 3 year time frame voiced by Pegula.I would think if a trade did come about (and it's likely there will be one coming given the cap space and RFA's yet to sign) it would be for a depth center, maybe 3rd line, maybe 4th.I guess I'm just being conservative in that line of thinking, but with that being the case, I would have to imagine if it is Sekera or Gragnani to be moved (and once again, my money is on Sekera), I'd imagine a pick or 2, depending on the player coming back, would be included.Just my opinion however.But yes, I do agree with you if it is to be a trade, it would more than likely be that 3rd line center position.I would like to see Adam do another season in the AHL to further improve his skills.I don't know, but if LA is interested, I'd be more than interested in Stoll, if it's a package deal that gets him, fine. As long as it's fair value, he would be a fantastic addition to this team in my opinion. I'd love to see him centering Gerbe and Kassian.

If you trade for Stoll it cant be Sekera and Picks in would need to be Sekera and a rostered player in order to eliminate some cap issues the sabres currently have. Stoll is worth 3.6mil to the cap this year and unless the arbitrator loses their mind, Sekera wont get anything above 2.25 meaning the sabres would be taking on 1.35mil in salary and still be required to sign MAG.

The Kings on the other hand our in a position to take on a little salary and could use another puck mover depending on what Doughty finally settles on. The problem is the kings have Brown and Williams at RW which is the sabres strength so unless you can convince them they want Kotalik (lol) Boyes (maybe) or Pommers (he would be missed) on that wing its a tough trade for the sabres to make. With Doughty the Kings will have 6 defense under contract so Sekera would make a good 6/7th man easily.

The Kings are about 12.5 mil under the cap so they could get doughty signed and take a guy like pommers in a trade. The thought of Stoll is interesting but I am not sure the sabres have the pieces LA wants. (price could be a little steep) Time will tell, i definitely think a Stoll, Ennis, Kassian line would be fun.

Not a fan of the thinking that Boston won the cup without pieces x and y, so we can too. Boston was the weakest cup winner since the lockout. Had Crosby and Malkin not been hurt I think Pittsburgh would have marched through the East quite easily. In the fianls, Boston was extremely fortunate to run up against: 1) an easily rattled goalie 2) an injured Ryan Kesler and 3) the soft Sedin sisters who flawlessly peformed their famous postseason disappearing act

Washington is still a juggernaut and got even more talented in the past few weeks, Pittsburgh will be healthy again, and assuming Tampa resigns everyone they will have more talent than Buffalo currently does. If the Sabres want a real shot at the cup, they need a #1 center. That may not be available right now or even this year, but at some point one has to be aquired. If that means giving up Vanek plus Ennis or Kassian, so be it.

Not a fan of the thinking that Boston won the cup without pieces x and y, so we can too. Boston was the weakest cup winner since the lockout. Had Crosby and Malkin not been hurt I think Pittsburgh would have marched through the East quite easily. In the fianls, Boston was extremely fortunate to run up against: 1) an easily rattled goalie 2) an injured Ryan Kesler and 3) the soft Sedin sisters who flawlessly peformed their famous postseason disappearing act

Washington is still a juggernaut and got even more talented in the past few weeks, Pittsburgh will be healthy again, and assuming Tampa resigns everyone they will have more talent than Buffalo currently does. If the Sabres want a real shot at the cup, they need a #1 center. That may not be available right now or even this year, but at some point one has to be aquired. If that means giving up Vanek plus Ennis or Kassian, so be it.

You forgot to mention that Boston came within one goal of being eliminated in the 7th game OT against Mtl.

What you say may be true, but this "weakest Cup winner" wiped out the Flyers in four straight games and they weren't even close. How can you explain that when we struggled through seven games and lost?

Also, much was made of Kesler's injury and the Sedin twins' play. But everyone is injured in the playoffs, including the Bruins. Kesler's injury was more obvious because of his obvious skating impairment. The Sedin twins got them the President's Trophy. This wasn't a team of injured cream puffs. They took the Bruins to seven games and it required a gutsy effort by the Bruins to prevail in that last game.

In short, the strength of the Boston team wasn't in its star players (of which there were few). Their strength rested in the connection each player had for the other and for the team as a whole. They had internal fortitude and a team spirit which overcame the overt talent of the Canucks. We can have that too.

Dion Phaneuf was had for a package of players.

Byfuglien was had for a package of players and picks.

Kovalchuk was traded for a bunch of people i've barely heard of.. Oduya the only one I really know.

Penner for a player and pick.

This notion that we can't get something for some of the people we have that we may not want simply just isn't true. There's a bunch of factors that go into trades. One of those factors is cap hit/salary, year of commitment.

Colorado for example still needs to hit the cap floor, a package Kotalik Boyes Morrisonn Sekera and a 1st gets them out of a 6 year contract with Stastny, increases their salary and provides them with only one contract (assuming sekera signs multiyear) that they're committed to. Leaving them with Options next year in a stronger FA class.

Would I do that? No. but I'm also not the one signing checks or making game plans.

Let me ask you a question, do you know what Patrice Tardif, Roman Vopat, and Craig Johnson, Jason Soules, Tyler Wright and Nick Stajduhar have in common?

They were all traded for GRETZKY at one point. (first three from LA to STL, Second 3 the first round pics from EDM)

Now you might be saying, but Greg, I believe that Colorado would have a better chance to win with Stastny over 12, 22, 27, 44 and 1st round pick.. I would tend to agree, but you're also assuming that Colorado's main goal is to win. As we can well relate, Winning may not be every owners top priority.

Do I think we're gonna trade for Stastny? I hope so, I don't think it'll happen, but I reject the idea that there isn't deals out there to be had for good players with people we don't value as high.

Boyes had 7 less points than Havlat, and Havlat was just traded straight up for Heatley.

Archived