Will there be anymore deals?

BetterDays06

This performance was two years ago, not last year when he stepped up his game and averaged a PPG. Aside from that there are no comparable stats for Stastny since he wasn't in the playoffs, so this statistic is meaningless.

I still maintain that Stastny is not a nr. 1 center - certainly not at this time. Neither is Roy, but he may take that job next season if his progress continues.

Actually there are comparable stats for the 09-10 playoffs ...Stastny also played six games, against San Jose ... he had a goal and four assists. I don't know if that menas he's better than Roy, but he was more productive.

Besides, nothing is "meaningless" ... you may not agree with the conclusion someone else draws, but everything has some sort of meaning ... usually more or less than we think. We either miss the big point or go way overboard about something. But if you are just going to take something you disagree with and term it meaningless, you come off as closed-minded and cheapen your other arguments.

maybe we need to define No. 1 center ... or at least count them. how many are there? I bet you can't get to 15 before you have to start seriously considering Stastny ... and that's only enough for half the league. The guy is a No. 1 center.

This Peter Mueller talk is not a bad idea at all. However,I highly doubt we will see a move made on him. But I definetly get your logic BuffaloSoldier2010.

At 23, with his upside, he could be a solid #3 and maybe even one day a good #2 center on the Sabres.

For the Sabres to make a move for him, he would have to be an improvement over Hecht, who I believe will be our #3 C (Line 4= McCormick-Goose-Kaleta).

Is he better than Hecht today? From an offensive standpoint, he is and will be even better. However, at the #3 C position, I think Lindy has more emphasis on solid defensive positioning, something that Hecht is pretty good at and likely better than Mueller at (sorry dont know much about him).

Also, Luke Adam will be given plenty of opportunity if Hecht is hurt or plays poorly. IMO Adam is our 2012-2013 #3 C and maybe even #2 C if Leino doesnt pan out in the middle and has to be moved back to the wing.

Bottom Line: This move never happens becaue Hecht currently fits into Lindy's system better than a potentially higher scoring Mueller with a good upside.

But nice try BuffSoldier, I like where your head's at.

This performance was two years ago, not last year when he stepped up his game and averaged a PPG. Aside from that there are no comparable stats for Stastny since he wasn't in the playoffs, so this statistic is meaningless.

More flawed statistics. The Sabre season could easily have been divided into the Pre-Pegula and Pegula parts. No one was motivated in the Pre-P stage - I don't think anyone would disagree with this - but Roy still was performing at 1 PPG. In the Pegula age, everyone stepped up their game, team-wide. There was a new energy of "can-do" on the squad that was very obvious to anyone who follows the team. Who knows what Roy might have done in that situation?

Thus your stats are meaningless.

That MIGHT be true, but 1. Roy is now coming into his prime so we will see and 2. Stastny has not demonstrated leadership either. He is not a go-to guy. Look at last season if you need proof.

I maintained "case closed" because I'd like to see someone challenge it. You have, but you didn't prove that I was wrong in my assessment...at least not to me.

I still maintain that Stastny is not a nr. 1 center - certainly not at this time. Neither is Roy, but he may take that job next season if his progress continues.

Just a quick one. The bolded statement is false. The Colorado Avalanche made the playoffs during the 2009-2010 season and lost in a six game series to the San Jose Sharks. The Avs were the 8th seed. During that series, Stastny had 1 goal and 4 assists for 5 points in 6 games during the series. So, the comparable between Stastny's performance and Roy's during the Boston series was in that 6 game series against the Sharks where the Avs were heavy underdogs as the 8th seed, Stastny had 6 points. In a series where Buffalo was the 3rd seed and favorite over Boston, Derek Roy had 2 points and no goals. So, it is very fair to say that there is a comparable. Whether you being the judge, jury, bailiff, and court transcriber allows for the case to be open or closed is clearly up to you since you seem to be holding court, but I figure I would just clarify some statistics here.

I think Derek Roy is a good player and highly undervalued on this team. He is consistently very good, puts up points, and can play the PK. He is not a leader in my mind, but I want Derek Roy on my team. Paul Stastny, on the other hand, is more along the lines of an elite number one center or at least closer to it than Derek Roy in my opinion. He's generally put up some big points on some really bad Avalanche teams that have barely even made it into the playoffs when they have gotten in. His best season to date, in my mind, was during the 2009-2010 season when he put the team offensively on his back and in conjunction with Craig Anderson put an Avs team that had no business being in the playoffs into they playoffs. This past season was a sub-par year for Stastny in that he ONLY scored 22 goals and got 57 points on a very bad Avs team that collapsed when Anderson got traded.

In my opinion, I'd want both Roy and Stastny on this team with Stastny as the #1 Center, Roy as the #2 Center, Leino as the #3, and Gaustad as #4. I don't see it happening, but he is a great player that I'd love to have on this team. Just my opinion, but I'm not really holding court or trying to present a case that is determined either beyond a Reasonable Doubt (if this were a criminal case) or by a Preponderance of Evidence (if this were a civil case).

I still maintain that Stastny is not a nr. 1 center - certainly not at this time.

Honestly now...how much have you watched him?

Are you basing this on stats?

He spent about 50 games on the first line, the rest on the 2nd. But that is with Duchene pushing him.

He doesn't have a dominating presence as much as an effective presense. Reminds me of Pierre Turgeon in some ways, he'll put up numbers keeping his nose down low without looking dominant. He's effective and hardworking.

Of course he was on a terrible team as well....but ......he's a first line guy.

More flawed statistics. The Sabre season could easily have been divided into the Pre-Pegula and Pegula parts. No one was motivated in the Pre-P stage - I don't think anyone would disagree with this - but Roy still was performing at 1 PPG. In the Pegula age, everyone stepped up their game, team-wide. There was a new energy of "can-do" on the squad that was very obvious to anyone who follows the team. Who knows what Roy might have done in that situation?

Thus your stats are meaningless.

That MIGHT be true, but 1. Roy is now coming into his prime so we will see and 2. Stastny has not demonstrated leadership either. He is not a go-to guy. Look at last season if you need proof.

I maintained "case closed" because I'd like to see someone challenge it. You have, but you didn't prove that I was wrong in my assessment...at least not to me.

Well, let's see. Roy did score more per game last year than he did the year before, but he was also a PPG player 2 years before that -- when he also "put up numbers" on a bad team (which was the first year post-Black Sunday). So it's hard to say that last year was the first year he "stepped up" and became a PPG player.

Digging a bit more into the #s, his alleged "stepping up" last year comprised 10-25-35 in 35 games, which projects to 23-59-82 over 82 games, or 23-57-80 over 80 games (which allows us to compare apples to apples since he played 80 games in the prior year). The year before, which you claim is "meaningless," he had 26-43-69 in 80 games, followed by a terrible playoff performance. So, you're saying that the "jump" from 26 goals and 69 points to a PROJECTED 23-57-80 (ie 3 fewer goals but 14 more assists) unequivocally proves to you that he became an entirely different player? Even though once again, he "put up numbers" on a bad team -- which the Sabres were while he was in the lineup?

As for the claim that "there are no comparable stats for Stastny" -- 2 years ago, Stastny was the best player on his team. He led the team in regular-season scoring AND playoff scoring. Meanwhile, Roy was crapping the bed vs the Bruins in the same playoff year. How is it that there are "no comparable stats?"

As for the pre-Pegula/post-Pegula dichotomy, the facts are as follows:

Date Pegula took over: Feb. 22

Sabres record with Roy: 14-18-4

Sabres record without Roy BEFORE TP took over: 14-7-2

You are of course free to consider the "case closed," and to say that nothing has been proved to you, but facts is facts. Stastny, despite being younger than Roy, was much better than Roy in the same playoff year. Since Black Sunday, Roy hasn't done a single GD thing in the playoffs. The Sabres were lousy when Roy was in the lineup and dramatically improved immediately upon his departure -- which was well before TP took over.

Actually there are comparable stats for the 09-10 playoffs ...Stastny also played six games, against San Jose ... he had a goal and four assists. I don't know if that menas he's better than Roy, but he was more productive.

Besides, nothing is "meaningless" ... you may not agree with the conclusion someone else draws, but everything has some sort of meaning ... usually more or less than we think. We either miss the big point or go way overboard about something. But if you are just going to take something you disagree with and term it meaningless, you come off as closed-minded and cheapen your other arguments.

maybe we need to define No. 1 center ... or at least count them. how many are there? I bet you can't get to 15 before you have to start seriously considering Stastny ... and that's only enough for half the league. The guy is a No. 1 center.

Good post.

The point about whether Stastny is a true #1 is a fair question, but if someone is going to limit the concept of "#1 center" to Crosby, Malkin, Sedin, Richards, Staal and 3 or 4 others, then of course Stastny isn't a true #1. But I would much rather have him than Roy.

This Peter Mueller talk is not a bad idea at all. However,I highly doubt we will see a move made on him. But I definetly get your logic BuffaloSoldier2010.

At 23, with his upside, he could be a solid #3 and maybe even one day a good #2 center on the Sabres.

For the Sabres to make a move for him, he would have to be an improvement over Hecht, who I believe will be our #3 C (Line 4= McCormick-Goose-Kaleta).

Is he better than Hecht today? From an offensive standpoint, he is and will be even better. However, at the #3 C position, I think Lindy has more emphasis on solid defensive positioning, something that Hecht is pretty good at and likely better than Mueller at (sorry dont know much about him).

Also, Luke Adam will be given plenty of opportunity if Hecht is hurt or plays poorly. IMO Adam is our 2012-2013 #3 C and maybe even #2 C if Leino doesnt pan out in the middle and has to be moved back to the wing.

Bottom Line: This move never happens becaue Hecht currently fits into Lindy's system better than a potentially higher scoring Mueller with a good upside.

But nice try BuffSoldier, I like where your head's at.

I greatly appreciate the input. I still think that if the price is right we should make a move (here i go stating the obvious).

I think Mueller could be had at this point in time relatively cheap, and if this is the case, could potentially make Luke Adam either

1.) Work harder and get even better

or

2.) Make Adam a tradeable asset.

I know it's probably not going to happen, but It's July and i could use another "WOW" move.

Never even considered Mueller. He'd be a high risk, high reward kind of aqcuisition. He's only had one full season and scored 55pts. And he's young enough to still be developing. But he's missed alot of time, which means missed alot of development. And there is a definite Connolly-type risk here. But the kid has upside. I'm kind of intrigued by the idea. I wouldn't want to give up much though considering how bad his concussion was.

Another German? Are we building the perfect race team?

He's actually a U.S. Citizen born and raised and represents the U.S. in International tournaments. Clearly, he is of German descent with a name like that, but I believe he identifies himself as an American.

You and your "facts" have no place on this board.

It seems I'm being deluged on my point, so I will address your comments one at a time.

First of all, "meaningless" certainly is relevant to stats that are skewed so as to lose the point the author is trying to make. e.g. I can say that Roy is a 1st line center. Why? Because he scored 89 points in 62 games in Kitchener during the 2001-2002 season (this is a fact). Does that mean he's a first line center in the NHL? Of course not! So the stats are accurate, but meaningless.

Stastny may have scored 5 points in a six game series two years ago, but his performance during last season was weak. If you look at his stats, you will see what I like to call the "Prospal yo-yo effect". It's up/down/up/down Not the sign of a nr. 1 center.

And you raise a good point...exactly what is a nr. 1 center? If it were to be defined, I would offer that it is a player who need not score goals, but has a point average of at least .9 PPG. A player who is a leader on and off the ice, and a guy who is a great playmaker (because that's what centers are traditionally supposed to do).

Obviously a lot of this is relative but I think we can all agree that there are teams that do not have a true nr. 1 center. And Colorado is among them IMO.

Just a quick one. The bolded statement is false. The Colorado Avalanche made the playoffs during the 2009-2010 season and lost in a six game series to the San Jose Sharks. The Avs were the 8th seed. During that series, Stastny had 1 goal and 4 assists for 5 points in 6 games during the series. So, the comparable between Stastny's performance and Roy's during the Boston series was in that 6 game series against the Sharks where the Avs were heavy underdogs as the 8th seed, Stastny had 6 points. In a series where Buffalo was the 3rd seed and favorite over Boston, Derek Roy had 2 points and no goals. So, it is very fair to say that there is a comparable. Whether you being the judge, jury, bailiff, and court transcriber allows for the case to be open or closed is clearly up to you since you seem to be holding court, but I figure I would just clarify some statistics here.

I think Derek Roy is a good player and highly undervalued on this team. He is consistently very good, puts up points, and can play the PK. He is not a leader in my mind, but I want Derek Roy on my team. Paul Stastny, on the other hand, is more along the lines of an elite number one center or at least closer to it than Derek Roy in my opinion. He's generally put up some big points on some really bad Avalanche teams that have barely even made it into the playoffs when they have gotten in. His best season to date, in my mind, was during the 2009-2010 season when he put the team offensively on his back and in conjunction with Craig Anderson put an Avs team that had no business being in the playoffs into they playoffs. This past season was a sub-par year for Stastny in that he ONLY scored 22 goals and got 57 points on a very bad Avs team that collapsed when Anderson got traded.

In my opinion, I'd want both Roy and Stastny on this team with Stastny as the #1 Center, Roy as the #2 Center, Leino as the #3, and Gaustad as #4. I don't see it happening, but he is a great player that I'd love to have on this team. Just my opinion, but I'm not really holding court or trying to present a case that is determined either beyond a Reasonable Doubt (if this were a criminal case) or by a Preponderance of Evidence (if this were a civil case).

You quote the playoffs from two years ago in comparing Roy & Stastny. I contend that they are not the same players now that they were then. You mentioned Stastny's collapse. But if you notice, (and as I stated above) he seems to have one good year and one - let us say "average" year. Not terrible, but not a true nr. 1 center-type of year.

Roy seems to suffer from a similar malady. He certainly skated like a nr. 1 center last season before the injury and I guess I'm hoping he'll continue that pace under the Pegula regime.

You see Stastny as more of a true nr. 1 center than Roy. Well, right now I don't see a whole lot of difference. Both are nr. 2's IMO. Both have the potential to be better. And yes, it would be nice to have them both on our team, but if neither truly steps into the nr. 1 role, what then?

Honestly now...how much have you watched him?

Are you basing this on stats?

He spent about 50 games on the first line, the rest on the 2nd. But that is with Duchene pushing him.

He doesn't have a dominating presence as much as an effective presense. Reminds me of Pierre Turgeon in some ways, he'll put up numbers keeping his nose down low without looking dominant. He's effective and hardworking.

Of course he was on a terrible team as well....but ......he's a first line guy.

Next in line...

Yes I've watched him on NHL Center Ice. I haven't focused on him to a major degree since the Fall of last year when I decided to acquire him in October and then decided to trade him in my $ fantasy league in January. There are a lot of players keep track of in the NHL but when you are playing for bucks, it behooves you to keep track of all the major players.

I agree with the bolded part. I don't recall ever seeing him dominate a game. Turgeon had more talent than Stastny but also didn't dominate (which is why I wished that Gerry Meehan had chosen Shanahan instead...it was close between those two guys, remember?)

Like I've said many times before, he is only 25 and can develop into a true nr 1 center. But he's certainly not there yet.

Obviously a lot of this is relative but I think we can all agree that there are teams that do not have a true nr. 1 center. And Colorado is among them IMO.

Interesting you think that. I think Colorado has two #1 quality centers.

And finally...

Well, let's see. Roy did score more per game last year than he did the year before, but he was also a PPG player 2 years before that -- when he also "put up numbers" on a bad team (which was the first year post-Black Sunday). So it's hard to say that last year was the first year he "stepped up" and became a PPG player.

Roy has exhibited the same inconsistency as Stastny has. I believe I stated that to you in one of my earlier posts comparing the two for the past five years. He stepped up last year (again), and at this stage of his career you would like to believe he's finally hit his stride.

Digging a bit more into the #s, his alleged "stepping up" last year comprised 10-25-35 in 35 games, which projects to 23-59-82 over 82 games, or 23-57-80 over 80 games (which allows us to compare apples to apples since he played 80 games in the prior year). The year before, which you claim is "meaningless," he had 26-43-69 in 80 games, followed by a terrible playoff performance. So, you're saying that the "jump" from 26 goals and 69 points to a PROJECTED 23-57-80 (ie 3 fewer goals but 14 more assists) unequivocally proves to you that he became an entirely different player? Even though once again, he "put up numbers" on a bad team -- which the Sabres were while he was in the lineup?

I'm not saying he became "an entirely different player". I'm saying that he has shown improvement which may translate into consistency. This improvement MAY mean that he's ready to be a nr. 1 center.

As for the claim that "there are no comparable stats for Stastny" -- 2 years ago, Stastny was the best player on his team. He led the team in regular-season scoring AND playoff scoring. Meanwhile, Roy was crapping the bed vs the Bruins in the same playoff year. How is it that there are "no comparable stats?"

Two years ago Roy led his team in points with 69. Stastny came in second on this team with 57. Colorado didn't even make the playoffs. What are you talking about?

You must be referring to FOUR years ago, which was the last time Colorado made the playoffs. I could go into the stats at that time, but four years is quite a while ago if you want to compare players present day. The stats may be comparable at that time, but they're OLD!

As for the pre-Pegula/post-Pegula dichotomy, the facts are as follows:

Date Pegula took over: Feb. 22

Sabres record with Roy: 14-18-4

Sabres record without Roy BEFORE TP took over: 14-7-2

You are of course free to consider the "case closed," and to say that nothing has been proved to you, but facts is facts. Stastny, despite being younger than Roy, was much better than Roy in the same playoff year. Since Black Sunday, Roy hasn't done a single GD thing in the playoffs. The Sabres were lousy when Roy was in the lineup and dramatically improved immediately upon his departure -- which was well before TP took over.

OK, I can accept these stats. Are you telling me that Roy was the reason the Sabres had a losing record when he was in the lineup? I'd have a hard time believing that since he was the only member of the team to have 1 PPG.

He was leading the team in points when he was injured in December, so I'd say that your argument that he's connected to the overall record of the team is rather weak.

And finally...

Roy has exhibited the same inconsistency as Stastny has. I believe I stated that to you in one of my earlier posts comparing the two for the past five years. He stepped up last year (again), and at this stage of his career you would like to believe he's finally hit his stride.

Anyone who thinks we are a better team without Roy is simply nuts. If this were true and the team agreed he would be on the trading block.

I'm not saying he became "an entirely different player". I'm saying that he has shown improvement which may translate into consistency. This improvement MAY mean that he's ready to be a nr. 1 center.

Two years ago Roy led his team in points with 69. Stastny came in second on this team with 57. Colorado didn't even make the playoffs. What are you talking about?

You must be referring to FOUR years ago, which was the last time Colorado made the playoffs. I could go into the stats at that time, but four years is quite a while ago if you want to compare players present day. The stats may be comparable at that time, but they're OLD!

OK, I can accept these stats. Are you telling me that Roy was the reason the Sabres had a losing record when he was in the lineup? I'd have a hard time believing that since he was the only member of the team to have 1 PPG.

He was leading the team in points when he was injured in December, so I'd say that your argument that he's connected to the overall record of the team is rather weak.

.I for one, never thought that Stastny and Roy were similar. There are some real differences in their skills sets and styles. Comparing them statistically is really a wasted exercise.

The premise here seems to be that Roy will recover fully this year. He is at best questionable until that puppy gets tested under game conditions a few dozen times. I think that any team that may consider him as part of a significant trade would have to be a bit wary.

Wow. Where to begin?

Let's start with some facts, and with the very important board rule that you should check your facts before you post so you don't waste everyone's time.

One critical fact is that (as others have pointed out within the last page of this thread) Colorado DID make the playoffs 2 seasons ago (ie spring 2010). They were the #8 seed and lost to the #1 seed, SJ, in 6 games. (This information is freely available in the public domain.) As I mentioned, Stastny led his team in scoring during the regular season that year with 79 points and led them in the playoffs in scoring as well with 5 points in 6 games.

That was the same year that Roy had 69 pts in the regular season and did not show up for the Sabres vs the Bruins in the playoffs.

While the Avalanche ALSO made the playoffs 4 years ago (which the Sabres didn't, despite Roy "putting up numbers"), this does not mean that they didn't make it 2 years ago.

The 57-point season you are thinking of for Stastny was this past season. He scored 57 points in 74 games for a terrible team that is being run into the ground. If you want to base your opinion of Stastny on that season plus your fantasy GM experience -- go right ahead. Perhaps you and Larry Quinn can run a team together.

As for where Roy is in his career and whether the Sabres were better without him -- I've said all I have to say on those points. You are free to believe as you wish (although I would hope for a bit more logical coherence than your last post exhibited -- it's not clear how he can be the #1 center and leading scorer for a bad team but yet not related to the team's struggles). I will say that I would be happy to keep Roy on the Sabres as long as they aren't relying on him to be the #1 center or for any kind of leadership.

I know I threw a lot of gas on the fire on this thread, mostly in the Stastny vs. Ennis debate .... so I am not taking shots at you guys .... but I am bowing out because my head hurts.

Do you realize that by claiming Roy is just as good as Stastny, bullwinkle has nfreeman DEFENDING Derek Roy, whom he does not like as a No. 1 center, so as to prove that Stastny IS indeed a No. 1 center? :blink:

The point about whether Stastny is a true #1 is a fair question, but if someone is going to limit the concept of "#1 center" to Crosby, Malkin, Sedin, Richards, Staal and 3 or 4 others, then of course Stastny isn't a true #1. But I would much rather have him than Roy.

I still think there is a way to have BOTH of them by the start of the season. Win-win, even for Bullwinkle, I imagine. Of course, now that I've said that, I'm sure he will prove me wrong.

I greatly appreciate the input. I still think that if the price is right we should make a move (here i go stating the obvious).

I think Mueller could be had at this point in time relatively cheap, and if this is the case, could potentially make Luke Adam either

No problemo Amigo!!

I really don't think Adam will be on the trading block anytime soon.

It's very possible that Adam could develop(within 2 yrs) into the level of player that we can envision Mueller becoming this season or next. Also,

Adam is home grown and likely to be cheaper. IMO The only likely scenario for making him trade bait is that he kinda dims out and doest become the star top 6 forward they were hoping.

However, will be given at least 2 NHL to prove he can be a 50+ pt producer, something he is very capable of

1.) Work harder and get even better

or

2.) Make Adam a tradeable asset.

I know it's probably not going to happen, but It's July and i could use another "WOW" move.

You quote the playoffs from two years ago in comparing Roy & Stastny. I contend that they are not the same players now that they were then. You mentioned Stastny's collapse. But if you notice, (and as I stated above) he seems to have one good year and one - let us say "average" year. Not terrible, but not a true nr. 1 center-type of year.

Roy seems to suffer from a similar malady. He certainly skated like a nr. 1 center last season before the injury and I guess I'm hoping he'll continue that pace under the Pegula regime.

You see Stastny as more of a true nr. 1 center than Roy. Well, right now I don't see a whole lot of difference. Both are nr. 2's IMO. Both have the potential to be better. And yes, it would be nice to have them both on our team, but if neither truly steps into the nr. 1 role, what then?

Stastny has had three 70 point seasons. He had a 36 point season when he was injured and missed about half the season. The only sub-par season he's really had was this past year and he still scored 20 goals. So, he's not that inconsistent in 5 seasons. Three 70 point seasons, one that was shortened by injury and one that was 50+ points on a horrible team this past season, which is sub-par for him.

By the way, I think Jerry Sullivan reads this message board before writing his columns. It's quite clear to me based on this .

Stastny has had three 70 point seasons. He had a 36 point season when he was injured and missed about half the season. The only sub-par season he's really had was this past year and he still scored 20 goals. So, he's not that inconsistent in 5 seasons. Three 70 point seasons, one that was shortened by injury and one that was 50+ points on a horrible team this past season, which is sub-par for him.

By the way, I think Jerry Sullivan reads this message board before writing his columns. It's quite clear to me based on this .

I just finished reading his column and that's the first thing I though too lol.

Archived